Lehmann Bust Up With Wenger

MrJibbles

Jens Lehmann will make a last-ditch attempt to find a new club before the transfer window closes on Friday after Arsène Wenger yesterday confirmed that he can no longer consider himself Arsenalâs first-choice goalkeeper. The Germany international sounded out several clubs on returning home for treatment on an Achilles problem last weekend, but has yet to receive an offer after falling out of favour at the Emirates Stadium.Lehmann is being rested after making two horrendous errors in Arsenalâs first two Barclays Premier League fixtures, against Fulham and Blackburn Rovers, amid claims that his Achilles complaint has worsened.The 37-year-old was fit enough to play for Germany in last Wednesdayâs 2-1 win over England at Wembley and he exchanged strong words with Wenger at Arsenalâs training ground when told of his fate two days later.Lehmann fears that being dropped by Arsenal could harm his international chances before next summerâs European Championship finals and will listen to any offers he receives in the coming days. The former Borussia Dortmund goalkeeper attracted interest from Hertha Berlin and Seville before signing a one-year contract extension with Arsenal towards the end of last season, but is running out of time to force an exit.Lehmannâs mood will not have been improved by Wengerâs words yesterday, with the Frenchman confirming that Manuel Almunia will play in tonightâs Champions League third qualifying round, second-leg tie against Sparta Prague and the goalkeeperâs shirt is the Spaniardâs to lose.âI donât know how long Lehmann will be out,â Wenger said. âHeâs never happy when heâs injured and heâs never happy when heâs not playing. But you asked me to say something that I can never say. You asked me to give a message to Almunia that, no matter how he plays after a few games, he will be automatically out. You can never say that; that means his performance is not important.âWe are in a competitive world. Of course, at the start of the season, you have a No 1 and then a No 2 comes in and you have to give him a chance. I think Almunia is good enough to give me a problem. You go from game to game and there is no guarantee for anybody.âWenger is confident of retaining Lehmann at such a late stage in the transfer window and expects his squad to remain unchanged after rejecting an offer to take Adriano, the Brazil striker, on loan from Inter Milan. The Italian club wanted to take on loan in exchange an Arsenal player, believed to be Mathieu Flamini, but Wenger rejected the deal because of his faith in his existing strikers.âI was offered Adriano, but he is not needed,â he said. âIf I find the right player, I will always take him, but with Adriano, they wanted to give you a player and also take one from your squad. Why should I bring players in? I have big faith in them and my squad and they are doing all right at the minute.â