Liverpool want Boumsong

HHH

Liverpool's desperation for a central defender has reportedly seen then turn to the comic figure of Jean-Alain Boumsong. Italian newspaper Tuttosport claims that Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has made contact with Juventus about the former Newcastle 'defender'. Liverpool are currently without the services of Jamie Carragher and have no cover beyond Daniel Agger and Sami Hyypia. Boumsong is currently on the books of Juventus but has been made available for transfer after their promotion to Serie A. Meanwhile; Tomas Ujfalusi's agent Pavel Paska has claimed that Liverpool made an enquiry about the availability of the Fiorentina defender. However, Ujfalusi is only keen on a move to Spain and has reportedly turned down the enquiry. "Liverpool have a problem as Jamie Carragher has picked up a serious injury," Paska told Sport. "Manager Rafael Benitez together with the club director Ricky Parry have therefore asked me if I could address the offer to Tomas. "Tomas has consulted it with his family and told me that he was happy with life in Italy and that the only country he would move to is Spain. "I have to respect his decision, nevertheless it has surprised me a lot. Liverpool never give this offer twice to one player." Football365.com

The Liverpool manager admitted he has scoured the market to assess what might be available, but has decided he's happy with the squad at his disposal. Reserve striker Besian Idrizaj has today completed a season long loan deal with Crystal Palace, but Benitez insists there'll be no major activity to report before the window closes. "We were checking some options for the first team squad yesterday, but it's very difficult to find the right players this late. I don't think we will be signing anyone now," he said. "Rick, Foster, Eduardo (Macia) and I looked at some options, but we decided we don't want to sign a player just for the sake of it. It has to be the right player and not for crazy money." Despite continued speculation linking Peter Crouch with a last minute exit from Anfield, Benitez has once again reiterated he has no interest in selling his striker. "There has been no bid for Crouch, certainly not before this morning anyway," said Benitez. "I have the same idea now as I've said before. I don't want to let anyone go. I've spoken to the player and he knows we need him."http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N...070830-1409.htmTopic done.