Anyone do martial arts?

L

I'm thinking of taking up a martial art, just to stay fit more than anything. I go to the gym and that but i've been doing it for about a year now, making improvements but its just so f*cking boring.Any recommendations? First i was looking at kick boxing but it doesn't really have much depth to it.. I'm thinking maybe taekwondo.. I don't want no p*ssy defensive style either, i want something that will keep me entertained aswell as fit.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Taekwondo is good.From what I have been told you will struggle at first if you are not very fit but the training will get you fit and improve your athleticism and flexibility.It's a gradual process so you have to show some commitment but when you develop that flexibility you will find things easier.Go for it, it is probably the best martial art. Llow anything that has you practising in a fixed stance as well.

I was just watching a couple taekwondo fights and i just saw pure kicking, I'm sure its more than that but it didnt come off too 'deep'
There are better martial arts in my view for fighting but in terms of developing your fitness, athleticism and flexibility Taekwondo is one of the best (and is pretty handy for street fighting as well).

Taekwondo is about as useful as a stick of celery in a street fight
You're right actually. Any newcomer won't have the ability to use taekwondo moves in a fight and not much emphasis is on using your fists so overall it is pie.I just recall my mate who has been doing Taekwondo for years, when some guys were trying to beef us he did a spinning heel kick and knocked the breh the f*ck out.

not much emphasis is on using your fists so overall it is pie.
I dont get that, a kick has so much more power and reach and most people wont know how to defend them so how is it pie?

I dont get that, a kick has so much more power and reach and most people wont know how to defend them so how is it pie?
It's too dependent on one facet. If you hurt one leg in a fight (which can happen quite easily unless you are a pro), then your attack and defensive capabilities are severely compromised.The best martial arts systems are free of any rigid movements or fixed positions and utilise all the body's attacking capabilities (namely fists and legs, holds and throws).

It's not just that TKD's focus is kicks. It's that it's fancy rotating and flying kicks which are next to useless in an actual fight.Muay Thai, for example, is primarily based on kicks, but straightforward quick and powerful ones, which harness the power and range in your legs, which can inflict damage.But if you get into a fight with someone on road with even basic fighting skills, and tried to do some flashy TKD jumping 360 kick, they will take you down with double quickness and you'll be tasting the underside of their Air Force 1s. It looks impressive in a ring vs. another TKD opponent, but it's a low percentage option in a real fight.TKD would be useful for real combat in how it improves co-ordination and athleticism, and I suppose it could intimidate people into leaving you alone if you can jump and do some acrobatic Ryu move in the air to scare them off. But by and large, its techniques are for sport and not fighting.

Are we talking street fights?Coz i dunno bout you, but i cant remember last time i see a fight and someones leg got f*cked up
Because in street fights people don't use kicks unless the other guy is on the floor and they are stomping on his head.But if you were in a street fight and using Taekwondo techniques and teachings the you are gonna be using kicks aren't you, unless you have proficient control and technique (which comes with experience) then you could get your leg hurt and then you would be f*cked.Also Taekwondo can't use used as effectively up close, you need distance and if someone got right up close to beating your leg guard then you won't be able to kick him.

Taekwondo and Kickboxing are really good. You have to really get into Taekwondo... I found with the first few belts you weren't challenged hard enough as compared to first lessons in kickboxing. It is useful though (Taekwondo)...Helped me out a good couple of times.