FAO : Amp n Sub Heads

t-dan

I had a amp n sub not so long ago but shotted it for what i paid. This afternoon i bought 2 12 inch pioneer subs and 800w amp, my mate who's fitting it said i wont need to change my stereo as all i need is a phono lead or something and the amp lead will connect to it. Can someone explain to me more what he was onabout. I know someone on here is proper clued up on amps and subs and helped me out BARE last time, Gage? i think not sure.

never skimp on wiring.Upgrade it or you won't get the best out of your system.
i agree with this guy, no point having a power cable that wont be able to handle what your tryin to push through it, plus it gives you some headroom for the future!
LMAO, get zero gauge wiring, its supposed to be the best cos it can handle the most power. the thickest ones.
Blud ave u ever tried to run 0 guage wire through a car? that sh*t is thicker then a mother f*cker!4 guage would be more than enough unless your plannin on goin NUTS in the future!!What car you got t-dan?

If u have the standard car stereo u can still run an amp and sub with it aslong as it has pre outs on them, if not you will just need convertorspersonally i wouldnt do it as standard stereos only push out something like 30 watts rms, while aftermartket ones do 50-60 watts rms which will benefit more on sound clarity when it comes to amping themaftermarket HU also come with pre outs for sub aswell as other sound settings made for the sub which u will not get with standard HUwhen also wiring a sub and amp u need the remote switch connected to your Headunit & earth cable which i'm guessing you have

If u have the standard car stereo u can still run an amp and sub with it aslong as it has pre outs on them, if not you will just need convertorspersonally i wouldnt do it as standard stereos only push out something like 30 watts rms, while aftermartket ones do 50-60 watts rms which will benefit more on sound clarity when it comes to amping themaftermarket HU also come with pre outs for sub aswell as other sound settings made for the sub which u will not get with standard HUwhen also wiring a sub and amp u need the remote switch connected to your Headunit & earth cable which i'm guessing you have
Isnt that why you amp them in the first place???Still, I amp my components but when I put my back coxial speakers in I will leave them unamped, run them from the head.

why wouldnt you amp co-ax speakers, if you've already got the wiring there i dont see the problem. plus by doin that your puttin less strain on the head unit. they usually only put out about 4*25Wrms, so but ampin the speakers it lets the head unit put more power in to the rear speakers (thats if youve got 4speakers....)have you got a standard golf head unit or an aftermarket one?

yeah im about to amp my door and back speakers.took my 6x9s out (as pointless with a sub)and amp the new sub up.sometime this weekend
To be honest theres no point in amping up the rear speakers, you might aswell just let the head unit deal with them, as 1) your never gonna be sittin there and 2) they are only there for stage sound filler, so unless your gonna be cranking some SERIOUS wattage out of your car theres no need.....just my humble opinion anyway

To be honest theres no point in amping up the rear speakers, you might aswell just let the head unit deal with them, as 1) your never gonna be sittin there and 2) they are only there for stage sound filler, so unless your gonna be cranking some SERIOUS wattage out of your car theres no need.....just my humble opinion anyway
yeah thats tru, but i got this 2 channel amp, and all i gotta do is put in the 2 wires. so its not long, might as well.when i had my 6x9's and a sub it sounded ok. till i mvoed the 6x9's and i noticed the better sound. so got 2 more door speakers in the back. (swapped them for the 6x9's) i dont sit in the back like u say, so kinda pointless, but didnt cost anything.