New DJ mixing UK Garage songs

2deal2

Hi!I'm new to DJing. I've had Pioneer CDJ decks with a Numark mixer for 3 weeks now. I've got a decent selection of UK garage singles and vinyl burned to CD. I think my mixing is okay... with House. But with Garage it's all over the place. Can anyone help me with these questions?1) How do you mix 4x4 with 2-step? I've tried and it completely throws me off! E.g. TJR & Xavier "just gets better" with Gabrielle's "sunshine" wookie remix is impossible for me! Do you think I should stick to two-step or 4x4 only?2) My Pioneer decks show BPM. But on 2step songs they go all over the place, yet on 4x4 they're pretty consistent. Should I ignore them and try and mix without them OR do they really help?3) I can get a lot of house songs to match and lay the beat down, but the beats seperate within 10 seconds. I have a jog wheel on the decks but I don't get how to use them. Everytime I try, I immediately ruin the mix. How do I use the jog wheel better?4) When I am about to mix, I think the beats match between the headphones (playing song 2) and song 1 from the speakers, but when I bring the beat in they're skipping. Why is this? 5) I have problem with sound levels - I think it's called EQing?? Song 1 is at one level, but when I'm mixing in song 2, it's louder or quieter, which is slightly jarring and distracting to the ear. When I make playback the mix CDs I have keep turning the volume up or down on my Hi-Fi. How do I keep the music from the incoming song at the same level as the one going out? 6) I have the choice of +/- 6, +/- 10 and +/-16. The default level is +/-10. But what is the best for 4x4 garage and 2 step garage and for in-between mixing? I've used the +/- 16 which seems to work with most songs, but to be honest, I don't what I'm doing!I know that the higher quality Pioneer CD decks can go up to +/-50 and +/-100. What are those levels needed for?Any help is appreciated.Matthew P

Hi!I'm new to DJing. I've had Pioneer CDJ decks with a Numark mixer for 3 weeks now. I've got a decent selection of UK garage singles and vinyl burned to CD. I think my mixing is okay... with House. But with Garage it's all over the place. Can anyone help me with these questions?1) How do you mix 4x4 with 2-step? I've tried and it completely throws me off! E.g. TJR & Xavier "just gets better" with Gabrielle's "sunshine" wookie remix is impossible for me! Do you think I should stick to two-step or 4x4 only?Because the beat structures in UKG is complex, listen to the KICK beat and try to match them up, you'll find you can lock it much tighter.2) My Pioneer decks show BPM. But on 2step songs they go all over the place, yet on 4x4 they're pretty consistent. Should I ignore them and try and mix without them OR do they really help?3) I can get a lot of house songs to match and lay the beat down, but the beats seperate within 10 seconds. I have a jog wheel on the decks but I don't get how to use them. Everytime I try, I immediately ruin the mix. How do I use the jog wheel better?4) When I am about to mix, I think the beats match between the headphones (playing song 2) and song 1 from the speakers, but when I bring the beat in they're skipping. Why is this? Because you haven't locked the mix. Invest in some top of the range headphones and your mixing will improve.5) I have problem with sound levels - I think it's called EQing?? Song 1 is at one level, but when I'm mixing in song 2, it's louder or quieter, which is slightly jarring and distracting to the ear. When I make playback the mix CDs I have keep turning the volume up or down on my Hi-Fi. How do I keep the music from the incoming song at the same level as the one going out? Learn your records. Some are made louder than others. Knowing which is which will mean you can adjust accordingly before bringing the mix in.6) I have the choice of +/- 6, +/- 10 and +/-16. The default level is +/-10. But what is the best for 4x4 garage and 2 step garage and for in-between mixing? I've used the +/- 16 which seems to work with most songs, but to be honest, I don't what I'm doing!I know that the higher quality Pioneer CD decks can go up to +/-50 and +/-100. What are those levels needed for?Any help is appreciated.Matthew P
Alot a can't answer, as I mix properly, on Decks.

2) My Pioneer decks show BPM. But on 2step songs they go all over the place, yet on 4x4 they're pretty consistent. Should I ignore them and try and mix without them OR do they really help?i learnt how to mix by ear, as u say the bpm counter is unreliable so i definitely recommend ignoring them. even if the bpm counter says they're both 144 they might not be, which would f*ck up your mix when you bring in the next tune...3) I can get a lot of house songs to match and lay the beat down, but the beats seperate within 10 seconds. I have a jog wheel on the decks but I don't get how to use them. Everytime I try, I immediately ruin the mix. How do I use the jog wheel better?u need to practice beat matching. sounds like you're touching the jog wheel to hard, try to be more delicate(i never use cd decks but from what i remember i think there's a certain setting that would make the jog wheel f*ck up your mix, or have it like vinyl where you can control it delicately)
i highly recommend learning on vinyl. i know people who learnt on cdj's and can mix with them, but cant mix vinyl

2) My Pioneer decks show BPM. But on 2step songs they go all over the place, yet on 4x4 they're pretty consistent. Should I ignore them and try and mix without them OR do they really help?i learnt how to mix by ear, as u say the bpm counter is unreliable so i definitely recommend ignoring them. even if the bpm counter says they're both 144 they might not be, which would f*ck up your mix when you bring in the next tune...3) I can get a lot of house songs to match and lay the beat down, but the beats seperate within 10 seconds. I have a jog wheel on the decks but I don't get how to use them. Everytime I try, I immediately ruin the mix. How do I use the jog wheel better?u need to practice beat matching. sounds like you're touching the jog wheel to hard, try to be more delicate(i never use cd decks but from what i remember i think there's a certain setting that would make the jog wheel f*ck up your mix, or have it like vinyl where you can control it delicately)
i highly recommend learning on vinyl. i know people who learnt on cdj's and can mix with them, but cant mix vinyl
if you cant mix seamlessly on cd decks and vinyl decks and a mixture in a club situation YOU CANT MIX.if you THINK you can mix and are ready for a club and havent done it, YOU CANT MIXto explain to the new guy. you get a bad soundstage from where the dj is usually placed so learning to use monitors or just gettin used to em n killin off ur ears wid headphone sound is norms.still leme answer dem qs...

First things first mixing is piss and its all about practice!!! if u love it enough to stand there for hours lockin down the same tunes again n again n fraffin about then mixxin is uuu. if not, give up now for the sake of it.

Hi!I'm new to DJing. I've had Pioneer CDJ decks with a Numark mixer for 3 weeks now. I've got a decent selection of UK garage singles and vinyl burned to CD. I think my mixing is okay... with House. But with Garage it's all over the place. Can anyone help me with these questions?1) How do you mix 4x4 with 2-step? I've tried and it completely throws me off! E.g. TJR & Xavier "just gets better" with Gabrielle's "sunshine" wookie remix is impossible for me! Do you think I should stick to two-step or 4x4 only?dont stick to anything. the best djs out there are capable of just plain mixing up most genres with each another (see: fonti) either way its tunes from a similar if not the same genre ur mixing so keep going at it. if you know the tunes well you would find it much easier to mix them because you know the timing of the sounds and how they wud fit in time together. id say listen to parts of a tune and match them up accordingly2) My Pioneer decks show BPM. But on 2step songs they go all over the place, yet on 4x4 they're pretty consistent. Should I ignore them and try and mix without them OR do they really help?forget using that bpm counter, its only useful for dance and even then you would get a much much tigher mix learning how to get two tunes in time by sound because if it sounds good to you itll sound good to others. they can help beginners but if ur serious just dont use bpms3) I can get a lot of house songs to match and lay the beat down, but the beats seperate within 10 seconds. I have a jog wheel on the decks but I don't get how to use them. Everytime I try, I immediately ruin the mix. How do I use the jog wheel better?if you drop in a tune and they start to stray, u gotta realise which ones gone forward faster than the other. once you kno which ones faster, use the pitch or jog to slow it down slightly, bringing it back into time. then u adjust the speed(pitch control in some cases) on that deck to be slower so itll stayy in time. if you drop it in and its miles faster than the other track or miles slower bring it back to cue and adjust speed accordingly as a guess and it shud b easier to jog. 4) When I am about to mix, I think the beats match between the headphones (playing song 2) and song 1 from the speakers, but when I bring the beat in they're skipping. Why is this? probably a phase problem. you should mix the two decks in ur headphones before you bring it in and get the timing of both tracks perfect before you perform the mix. some tunes do tend to 'clang' together. play around with ur eq to work around this5) I have problem with sound levels - I think it's called EQing?? Song 1 is at one level, but when I'm mixing in song 2, it's louder or quieter, which is slightly jarring and distracting to the ear. When I make playback the mix CDs I have keep turning the volume up or down on my Hi-Fi. How do I keep the music from the incoming song at the same level as the one going out? oh. the eq... erm sound levels aint eqing as such, eqing refers to certain sound bands such as bring treble or bass up and down to blend songs. levels wise u shud just mix both songs with ur headphone setting on the mixer into ur headphones and listen to whats playing against what ur mixing in and turn it up or down accordingly.6) I have the choice of +/- 6, +/- 10 and +/-16. The default level is +/-10. But what is the best for 4x4 garage and 2 step garage and for in-between mixing? I've used the +/- 16 which seems to work with most songs, but to be honest, I don't what I'm doing! id ur doing one type of garage most djs could do it on 6, but id reccoment 10. 16 supplies u with more variance in speed but 10 means you can get it more accurate and for a garage tune to be past that 10 for mixing, its hardly garage...I know that the higher quality Pioneer CD decks can go up to +/-50 and +/-100. What are those levels needed for?u wudnt even needto worry about this. as i mentioned earlier, genre crossing mixing benefits from this as well as other various techniques and tricks u wudnt have to think about yet...Any help is appreciated.Matthew P
any thing else, jus ask.