Taking your last name

Davicious X

Friend of mine got married recently but his bride didnt take his last name.I found myself sniggering at this cos I see it as a lack of respect. Its not like he has an odd name but I dont see a reason why a woman wouldnt want to take her husbands family nameAs far as Im concerned, if she aint got my family name then its gonna be harder for me to see her as family.Discuss

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my last name sounds really good with my first namei'd be dissappointed to take a name that sounded f*ck upthe man im gna marry, has a first name for a last namellow itif im famousdef not changin itand i was actually thinkin bout this the other day, u have to make so many changesPASSPORTBANK ACCOUNTNIEVERYTHINGy shud i, friggin pisstake if u ask me

Guest Mickey Kane

She needs to take my last name, I don't care if she hyphenates with her maiden name...That's a total disrespect...She best appreciate assimalting with the African roots...

Depends why she did it.If shes one of them "INDEPENDENT WOMAN NAH TEK NO MANS LAST NAME HE DONT OWN ME"Then hes pissed.If she doesnt want to take it though, at least double barrell it...I cant see any logical reason why if you love someone and are marrying them, something as stupid as a name you wouldnt adopt.Unless she's looking to duck out quick and link other man coz they dont know shes taken.Oohhh conspiracy

Guest Mickey Kane

What gives me joke is that she'd probably want the proper traditional aspects of the wedding, the dress, the attendants, the honeymoon etc, but taking my name is an issue?LooooolWhilst we're at it, might as well introduce open relationships once we hit our 40's....

I think its a pisstake to be honest.It's a tradition aswell as a respect thing.Like people have said at least double barrell it.and Davicious if your friend's gonna have children with her their gonna have his last name. Unless she goes extra.Although on the flip side she may not want her family name to be done away with. That could be a reason.

What gives me joke is that she'd probably want the proper traditional aspects of the wedding, the dress, the attendants, the honeymoon etc, but taking my name is an issue?
I bet that is the case as well. Women love abiding by certain rules and traditions when it suits them.All I know is if I do get married, she WILL be taking my last name. It drops with everything still.

I personally hate my surname, so I'd be happy to take any other name over mine. And like some of you say... It's tradition.Some women though don't take their husbands name because of their job, such as teachers. It's not compulsory to not change it, but apparently they shouldn't really.

just another reason why certain man shouldnt marry certain women it aint even a question if she is gonna do it or not im not forcing her to do it its something she should KNOW she has to do. I mean there are just certain things you KNOW should go down in a marriage why should i have to make this clear?come like girls are reshaping what marriage is like they are shaping their facebook visability like a checklist.me nah inna dat go elsewhere.same thing i say with PRE NUPS man should'nt be getting one and if you feel like you need one you should'nt be getting married.same thing if you have to take of your wedding ring in certain situations YOU SHOULD'NT BE GETTING MARRIEDmarriage is not just for christmas or that period of time you wanna show offITS FOR BETTER OR WORSE i was dead against marriage before and the reason for that is i see so many marriages around with THAT bullshit going downNAMES BEING USED WHEN THE COUPLES SEE FITRINGS NOT ALWAYS BEING WORNPEOPLE NOT ALWAYS ADDRESSING THEY MARRIEDPRE NUPSETCthis is NOT marriage this is social promotion so you can boast that your married.

just another reason why certain man shouldnt marry certain women it aint even a question if she is gonna do it or not im not forcing her to do it its something she should KNOW she has to do. I mean there are just certain things you KNOW should go down in a marriage why should i have to make this clear?come like girls are reshaping what marriage is like they are shaping their facebook visability like a checklist.me nah inna dat go elsewhere.same thing i say with PRE NUPS man should'nt be getting one and if you feel like you need one you should'nt be getting married.
C/S double underline and chissled in stone

If you had a substantial amount to lose should your wife ever leave/divorce you and you were married Face Off, I think you would reconsider that.It's not an idea world we live in. You have to cover your back.Some people settle down, move in, and have 2 or 3 grown kids before the marriage starts to falter and fails 20 years down the line.Its not something you are able to predict by "spending time with and getting to know them properly before you jump in".Some things just happen. People change, circumstances change, and you have to cover yourself in that eventuality.

Gunner, at the moment the courts judge it case by case but yeah it's not recongised.They are trying to make changes though.On the surname ting:I PERSONALLY DON'T CARE. I'D ONLY CARE WHEN IT CAME TO OUR CHILDREN'S NAME. IF (i mean a big if) THEY DON'T TAKE MY NAME, I'D ACCEPT NOTHING BUT A DOUBLE BARREL SURNAME.

i told my bf that i would want to hyphen our names....and that i wouldn't mind the children having just his namebut he was all like nah...either you take my name as it is or we're not getting married. sad.gif i like my name!
Sorry violet but I have to given ur man the gun finger!!!Dem raw oneswere you hurt by it?

If you had a substantial amount to lose should your wife ever leave/divorce you and you were married Face Off, I think you would reconsider that.It's not an idea world we live in. You have to cover your back.Some people settle down, move in, and have 2 or 3 grown kids before the marriage starts to falter and fails 20 years down the line.Its not something you are able to predict by "spending time with and getting to know them properly before you jump in".Some things just happen. People change, circumstances change, and you have to cover yourself in that eventuality.
way i see it if i had a considerable amount to loose and if i felt like that i wouldnt get married simple really i dont do prenups unless im marrying for publicity and to get paid by ok magazine.REAL LOVE should me carved in stone and real and you should KNOW what your partner would do if you dont know you shouldnt be gettin married and if you know she will do you dirty you shouldnt get married and if you know you done something that may make her change up you shouldnt be getting marriedtoo many people wanna re paint their wall before stripping it off and smoothing it over first.