The legend that is Robert Pires "Sp*rs? Is that a joke?"

MrJibbles

Robert Pires has told setantasports.com in an exclusive interview that he would never wear Tottenham Hotspur’s shirt if they offered him the chance to sign a contract.There have been whispers saying that Spurs could approach the former Arsenal star in order to sign him on a free transfer, as the Villarreal star’s contract is due to expire in the summer.But the Gunners legend is not interested at all in playing for his former arch-rivals and has said that extending his deal with The Yellow Submarine remains his priority.When asked about the possibility of him receiving an offer from Spurs, Pires told setantasports.com: “Is it a joke? They must have forgotten where I come from.“They can make the offer, but I won’t play for Tottenham. Seeing myself wearing their shirt would be weird, after the six years I spent at Arsenal.“If they are interested that’s encouraging regarding my age, they can make the offer.”Pires is waiting for Villarreal to offer him a new deal and remains patient as he understands that a club that are third in the Primera Liga are focused on their quest for Champions League qualification.The former France international, who won the 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000 with Les Bleus, has revealed that he has been contacted by some clubs but is waiting for his employers to discuss his future.“I understand Villarreal’s position because the end of the season is fantastic to experience because we are third and my situation is secondary,” he added.“I don’t worry and I think they’ll propose me something because they haven’t told me that they don’t want to continue, unlike Pascal Cygan, who has been told he’ll not stay.“There are priorities in life and I’m relaxed, waiting for them to tell me good news. I’m just trying to play well until the season ends and we’ll discuss at some point.“I can sign wherever I want right now and of course I have been contacted (by other clubs), but Villarreal remain my priority and I’ll take a decision when I’ll know what they want to do.“I don’t forget the financial effort they made when they signed me and the fact they waited for me to return from a seven-month absence due to injury."

Former Gunner Robert Pires has backed his former team Arsenal to defeat Liverpool in the Champions League in an exclusive interview with setantasports.com.Pires spent six seasons at Highbury from 2000 to 2006 and remains an Arsenal fan.The 34-year-old believes that The Gunners are in tremendous form in the Champions League and will eliminate Liverpool in the quarter finals.The Frenchman remains deeply attached to the club that permitted him to become a star in The Premier League and reckons that beating The Reds will be a tough task. “It has been a shame for them to be drawn against a Premier League club,” said Pires to setantasports.com.“But it was difficult not to face one of those because they are four still qualified.“Regarding Arsenal’s displays in the Champions League they should normally qualify for the next round and my heart is with them.“It’s going to be a very difficult match because it’s always hard to face compatriots in an European cup but hopefully they will make it.”