Optimism Vs Realism Vs Pessimism

Angelo

Ok so this question stems from someting I've noticed which is very common in certain people.If someone tells me I cant do something, it makes me try 10 times harder so I can do it, just to prove them wrong.Its not just with personal achievements, but can be related to girls as well. I've heard so many man say "Nah shes out of your leauge..." etc. Which I think is bullshit.I've been raised with the idea I can do anything, or get anything I put my mind to. Nothing is out of my grasp if I want it bad enough. So far this way of thinking/attitude has earnt me a lot of friends, and a lot of enemies who think Im just living on cloud nine and chatting sh*t. Moretime I manage to accomplish what I set out to do however.I find it genuinely draining and annoying to be around people who are either negative, pessimistic, or try and tell me I cant do something because they arent confident enough in themselves to go for it.My question is:Do you put limits on yourself?Are there things you think which are genuinely out of your league/grasp/attainability?What are these things?

I find it genuinely draining and annoying to be around people who are either negative, pessimistic, or try and tell me I cant do something because they arent confident enough in themselves to go for it.My question is:Do you put limits on yourself?Are there things you think which are genuinely out of your league/grasp/attainability?What are these things?
I hear you famI have no limits except in the short term, I can do anything I put my mind to.If one controlled time & death then nothing is out of my reach. I reluctantly surrender possible achievements coz time & death has a monopoly on it. I pride myself on being a realist & a optimist as they make ones goals come true. My desires are strong & definate but I know I can't gratify all of them.

Pessimistic + Optimistic = RealisticMy mum is overly optimistic which made me more pessimistic because I'd rather call a spade a spade, however the older you get and the more problems you come out of the more optimistic you become. Too much optimism is a bad thing though.
Defo. If you're a pessimist then your not going to get anywhere in life and if you're too optimistic you're gonna end up f*ck*ng up somewhere.

i kno exactly what you meanim of the same opinion that if i want to achieve something i willtheres always a bunch of people with something negative to say but i cut them out my life one by onea lot of pessimistic people mistake themselves for realistsand in reality they are placing limits on themselves

i'm an optimist in the sense that if someone says that I can't achieve something I'll have to achieve it (or at least try). But I'm also a pessimist/realist cos I don't want to end up too dissappointed if things don't go the way I want them to. I think people need to be a balance of both (or all three)

One things for sure, if you have hopes or dreams you cant be around negative people because eventually you will begin to doubt yourself. The normal human being will have doubts over themselves from the offset anyway, so you dont need EXTRA baggage from those people weighing you down even more.Im an optimist, but if things dont go as planned it will make me re-evaluate the situation and tackle it from a different angle, which to me is being realistic.Way I see it, if you are a person of atleast average intelligence then nothing is beyond you if you go about it in the right way.You have guys like Puffy, Russell Simmons who went to school like everyone else and NOW they are where they wana be, if they can do it why cant you?There are gona be new millionaires in the future for definate, 100%, why cant 1 of them be you?

Guest Mickey Kane

*sighs*It's one thing to have people outside of your home who quite frankly don't believe in you or are rather sceptic about your aspirations, but I've had to experience this inside of my home for a while now.I've always had 'bags of potential'. From time I was young, I was always the kid whom 'misbehaved but shows alot of promise etc' and my problem was that I could be a lil' scatterbrained as my parents have always told me. Which kinda made me a lil' confused because from the age of 10-17, the main thing I was concentrating on was becoming a lawyer, than at 17 I decided I wanted to get into music. That's why I took up unpaid work experience with Sony-BMG, Jumpoff TV and did other little things on the side. Throughout that time and still to this day, I still can't believe they don't take me serious for that. My step-dad will regularly tell me, I don't see you doing that. He'll tell me he's never seen me to be the type to love music and I'd be more suited for more 'stable' work like law, finance, computing or some sh*t like that.Even when I began this project to attend a US college and I started working with football scholarship agency, they didn't even know what the f*ck it was for. I actually took them physically to watch me play and I remember a couple of weeks afterwards, they thought it was for an actual football trial to play for a club, NOT to be chosen as a schoalrship candidate. I've lived in a household where I'm constantly being told I believe in pipe dreams. A household where unrealistic expectations are hindering me and I should just go through the straight & narrow path. School-College-University-Job. Because, apparently all the normal young adults do this.Well, quite frankly. Get the f*ck outta here with that sh*t.Just because things don't go to plan, doesn't mean you can't adapt. Modify your sh*t a lil'. I've had to do this. I continue to do it. For example, I actually got accepted by that schoalrship agency & I've had a conditional offer to attend Howard University in Washington D.C. provided I get the necessary SAT score. Now, INITIALLY, this might not have happened seeing as I couldn't afford to pay all my fees on time. My parents took that as, ''You should let this go. Work and go back to university in London.''.Well, I didn't panic. I worked something out and I'm due to have my SAT test some time in May I think (which reminds me to get to revising soon, lol). My parents don't know that. They don't know that I'll be leaving this December to start in the Spring semester. I refuse to tell them up until I leave. Why?Because if people are quick to dismiss your aspirations, you cut them off from what you have going on. You dismiss them. Keep nothing but positive people around who will be real with you, when they need to be.

'Some parents just don't understand'It's a generation & culture thingSome of the elders in my fam still preachin that 'get a good job' line even when I've been successful in setting up & running two businesses that make me more money than I've ever earned, coppin 2 houses, raising my two kids, about to become a trader etcAs I told you, just keep keep on & consider the things I've told you.Good luck favours men of action & ur desires will drive u to be successful in your endeavours

I'm a realist and know everything takes hard work, just make it look easy to other people.Sometimes i am optimistic: In a weird way i kind of think this is my world and everyone else is irrelevant, like only I exist and kind of think things will come to me eventually. If I can't be a master of my own destiny, then it is not worth living...think about it.

In response to mickey's post

'Some parents just don't understand'It's a generation & culture thing
my mum's kinda a realist, and she gets on my nerves sometimes cause i have big ideas in regards to what ima do with wen i finishin studyin film and that. That being said she never discouraged me from pursuing film probo cause i showed an interest in from young. Anyway to stop myself gettin annoyed by her comments i dont tell her nothing either, i just do me and show her the results wen im done. The same goes with my singin thing.

I find it genuinely draining and annoying to be around people who are either negative, pessimistic, or try and tell me I cant do something because they arent confident enough in themselves to go for it.
This is my parents unfortunately, but it helps me more i cant lie.

Sorry to hear that Mike, always bad when it comes from inside the home, my girl had to deal with the same thing with her mum, but now her mum is eating her words in the worst way.But you know what you have to do and its good youre doing it, carry on like that and you will have the last laugh, truss me.I really dont understand parents who try to limit their kids. I remember Gwyneth Paltrow saying something like she thanks god for all the loving parents out there who tell their kids they can do whatever they want to do in life, because otherwise she would have had no great films to appear in from the directors and writers.Its the truth, its the people who dare to be different who make changes to the world and bring most pleasure to the rest of us.Why so many parents are content with their kids just being cogs in the societal wheel is beyond me, let your child dream if they wish to, if they fall just be there to catch them, thats what being a parent is to me.Certain parents will be there to tell you they told you so, but they probably never had any1 believe in them, so its kinda understandable why they are that way.

as a parent though you gotta understand its not cos they dont want you to succeed they want things to work in the "SAFE ZONE" of what they understand.if your doing music parents dont wanna know about making money via radio play and using your advance to pay for a beat that could help album sales etc because they dont have the head room to fathom that and understand it can be a success they just wanna see the MONEY right there.if your doing sports unles they SEE IT in their face ie your playing for a club where they can SHOW other people and reassure their self that your doing what you say you do they dont really seem to understand.i blame a lot of this on them LITERALLY not being there to see for themselfi remember that mc called ashes or ashman or whatever from peckham sides mcing on on top now you lot can say he is sh*t etc etc but shall i tell you why he is probably one of the luckiest boys alive.HIS MUM CAME WITH HIM TO THE STATION WATCHING HIM SPIT BARSIMAGINE THATshe would even phone ME and other djs saying (can you dj for ashman today)some people would slyly wanna slew his mum cos she seemed a bit skatty but when it comes to HEART and SUPPORT you really cant compare many people to her come like kanye west and his mum they be tight like that.if more parents were that involved i their kids INTERESTS being negative would be un neccessary

i think me and toney agreed LONG TIME AGO that uni is a parental fashion statement and most of them didnt go uni themselves.sh*t is f*cked up
i agree its true for a lot of young peoplethere are obviously people who dreamed of goin to uni all there livesim here for 3 reasons: it was expected of mei had nothing better to do with my lifei was told around age 10, the only way u gonna get out this house, is when ur 18 and u go to unii worked for that, had that in my mind, countin down the yrs, to me there werent any better options

a lot of the time i underestimate myself and what i can achievethis has been especially true with football and is probably the main reason im not a pro footballer right nowsometimes in uni i underestimate myself as welllike if me and someone else have different answers for something i will automatically think im wrong and take their answer and 75% of the time it turns out i was right in the first placesometimes you've just got to have more confidence in yourself and dare to achieve, i learnt that late in life

Guest Sean Ash
Ok so this question stems from someting I've noticed which is very common in certain people.If someone tells me I cant do something, it makes me try 10 times harder so I can do it, just to prove them wrong.Its not just with personal achievements, but can be related to girls as well. I've heard so many man say "Nah shes out of your leauge..." etc. Which I think is bullshit.I've been raised with the idea I can do anything, or get anything I put my mind to. Nothing is out of my grasp if I want it bad enough. So far this way of thinking/attitude has earnt me a lot of friends, and a lot of enemies who think Im just living on cloud nine and chatting sh*t. Moretime I manage to accomplish what I set out to do however.I find it genuinely draining and annoying to be around people who are either negative, pessimistic, or try and tell me I cant do something because they arent confident enough in themselves to go for it.My question is:Do you put limits on yourself?Are there things you think which are genuinely out of your league/grasp/attainability?What are these things?
Co sign with all of the above.I remain optimistic though.. f*ck the haters.Nothing is out of my league.. whatever will be will be. if it doesen't happen.. then my purpose is elsewhere.