Garage/Dealership or Private Sale?

JDC

I've now passed my driving test (2 weeks ago) and now have raised the cash for a whip cool.gif The problem i now face is whether to buy the car from a Garage and/or Dealership or go down the Private Sale route.Where did you get your car from? Did you get a deal or get shafted on the price do you feel? Any bad/good experiances?

im literally on auto trader now looking for a megane and im only taking down the numbers of the dealerships!although private can often be cheaper it can be risky and if you have problems with the car it's unlikely u can take it back or ask them to fix it! so i'm ot going down that route

private salebut if u do that make sure u have a mechanic with younever about gettin a dodgy car
yup yup, i have a friend of a friend who is a mechanic so he would be there with us checking the thing over, cant you also get AA or RAC to come out for a 1 off charge and give it the once over too?

Them RAC checks are about £200 and they give you a 170 point inspection.If the car is about 2 or 3 yrs old and had maybe 1 owner and done less than 20,000 miles then it is likely to be in good nic.Always ask if the car has Full Service History as well.Private isnt a bad way to go if you have information about the car and have someone check it out.

yeah AA do thati think its about £40but u might look at more than one carso it couldnt cost u abit
yes well what id do is go see maybe 3 in the same sorta area, whittle that down to 2 and get them both checked over, only 80 innit, not much when your dropping 4.5K on a whip for the peace of mind still

Guest The Member
yeah AA do thati think its about £40but u might look at more than one carso it couldnt cost u abit
yes well what id do is go see maybe 3 in the same sorta area, whittle that down to 2 and get them both checked over, only 80 innit, not much when your dropping 4.5K on a whip for the peace of mind still
ok i was wrongits not £40 (it was 2 years ago when i started driving....them inflations there)http://www.theaa.com/motoring-advice/vehic...nspections.html

Depends what age the car your lookin at.If its like 2003 onwards you only really need the basic checks PROVIDIN the you have all the MOT's/Services which dont suggest anything major. Make sure the place/person you buy from seems kosher, nice middleage ppl in a middle class area is usually a good sign. I personally would never buy from a dealership, waste of money

Go private.If you have a mechanic mate, go private without a shadow of a f*ck*ng doubt.If you are male, go private.You can get checklists from almost every car sale site on the internet, telling you what to check for. E.g.1. Rust under the sills2. Rust under the arches, boot seals, door seals, underbody sealant, engine bay, behind the radiator3. Condition of engine parts, wet patches, leaks, oil stains, smells which shouldnt be, scratches, evidence of coverups4. Paint filler (tap it with your nail), evidence of replaced panels (crashes)5. Dodgy electrics (check all windows, air con, fans, lights etc.6. Belt conditions (cam belts especially in this case - although not always accessible)7. Filters8. Service History9. Emissions test history (indications of wearing/failing EGR)10. MOT certificates11. Checking for clockingand for gods sakeDO A HIP CHECKMate I cant stress enough, go private.People think dealers are safe when in reality you wouldn't believe the amount of dodgy sh*t they do. They can be some of the worst places to buy a whip.Hell if it stops you from buying from a dealershp man will come with you and check the whips myself.(Drop me half the price of RAC bossman safe)