Justin Hoyte supports Choice FM's 'Peace on the Streets' campaign

TF S4DK

When Justin Hoyte was growing up in the London area, gun and knife crime was not a major problem. Sadly, that is no longer the case.Last year, in London alone, over 27 young teens lost their lives to gun and knife crime with many of those murders committed simply because the victim was in the 'wrong' postcode and faced the local gangs of that area.Worrying statistics like that prompted Hoyte to visit Emirates Stadium last week and support Choice FM's new campaign, 'Peace on the Streets'. The Arsenal defender attended an independent workshop for 50 young people, all from the local Borough of Islington.Hoyte, who was born in Leytonstone and then moved to Essex, followed in his parents' footsteps and took an early interest in athletics as well as football. However, he understands how youngsters who are deprived of similar opportunities can get drawn into a very different way of life."I was lucky because my parents were into sport anyway and they showed me the right path, but for some people it's not like that. Unfortunately it's harder for others because they don't have the opportunities."You can easily see how kids get drawn into crime. Everyone has friends or know people who have been through bad times and that can drive some people to carry guns or knives."But kids have to make their own decisions in life. Some friends will push you towards the way they want to go, into crime and stuff like that, but you've got to be an individual, say 'that's not for me' and go into something else like sport or education."Identity is a big part of it. Everyone wants to be part of a big group because some people feel more comfortable in a big group. They want to be associated with a gang but gangs are not the most important thing in my opinion. Having a good group of friends who will push you in the right direction is important."