Your favourite formations....

Guest Mickey Kane

Guest Mickey Kane

If you was a manager in the MODERN game, what formation would you have your team playing...Personally, that f*cked formation Ajax & Holland used to play for their total football would be mine. The difficulty with that is that you basically would have to rely heavily on your youth system because they were taught they would have been taught from a young age.If not that then, 4-5-1. The Roma/Man United types with a second striker as the lone forward.Was also a big fan of Milan's narrow diamond.

Guest Robin_Van_PersG

4-3-3 is the one but you need inteligent players particular in the middle of the midfield 3, the wide forwards and your striker has to either have an immense first touch or work harder than a farmer. Can't really go wrong with a 4-4-2, but the modern game means you need at least one box to box player in there. so i use 4-4-2 when coaching junior teams and hate 3-5-2 with a passion.

Guest Mickey Kane
4-3-3 is the one but you need inteligent players particular in the middle of the midfield 3, the wide forwards and your striker has to either have an immense first touch or work harder than a farmer. Can't really go wrong with a 4-4-2, but the modern game means you need at least one box to box player in there. so i use 4-4-2 when coaching junior teams and hate 3-5-2 with a passion.
Why? Brazil showered down with this formation in World Cup 2002 didn't they?

Guest Medic

im a firm believer of the 4-2-3-1 formation or 3-4-3.These formations in particular the flat back 4 formation provides width, strength in the middle of the park, great fluidity to the footy -classic counter attack tactics can be employed but at the same time u can be the aggressor.

im a firm believer of the 4-2-3-1 formation or 3-4-3.These formations in particular the flat back 4 formation provides width, strength in the middle of the park, great fluidity to the footy -classic counter attack tactics can be employed but at the same time u can be the aggressor.
Agree, if you got 2 strong DM in your team, good wide players and a strong striker 4-2-3-1 kills off teams.

Brazil had the right blend of players for that formation. Must remember that had an utter stinker leading up to that World Cup nearly missed the World Cup all together.

Guest Robin_Van_PersG
Formation puts a huge emphasis on the wing backs and is very difficult to make work as the wing backs are uner constant pressure its why hardly any teams play it. Cafu and Carlos were good enough to play in this formation, most full backs aren't. Plus i play there on a sunday so really hate the formation.

My favourite formation is the 4-2-3-1 formation with a trequista one play maker and a destroyer along with wide strikers that cut in and support the lone striker.My favourite side was that of Mendieta playing the play maker role and Aimar playing the trequista and Albeda playing as a destroyer.Once you find a balance with that formation is fantastic but finding the balance is hard.Hopefully this formation will be ours for many years to come.