Wenger's Biggest Mistake since July 2004...

TF S4DK

Has been his captain selection...While he has picked talented players who led by example by how they perform, and have loved the club (Henry) or been "honoured to where the armband" (Gallas) his selection have always been POOR...Reason being your captain is like your chairman, they have to subscribe to the same thought process as you in the good and bad times, the minute they don't, there is problems, and his last two haven't...Tony Adams was always a great captain, cos in regards to how the club was performing on the pitch, the club always came FIRST. Adams was made captain at 21, cos Kenny Sansom spoke out against the club to the press and immediately after was stripped of the captaincy by Graham... Throughout his tenure he knew you dont speak out against the club or the manager or you end up like Kenny, and nobody wants to publically get stripped and replaced by Nigel Winterburn.Now Wenger is no George Graham, but I've always looked at when players do this to Wenger, he shortly after sells them - Vieira see the Ashley Cole's contract, Henry see his bizarre "buy SWP" rant...As much as Gallas has been a c*nt at times, I do like him, cos he HATES with passion to lose... He's a winner BUT he'd already spoken out repeatedly about the club/managers team plans before the captaincy, again with such a passion...Gallas' natural reaction isn't to think MY CLUB, MY MANAGER, MY TEAM-MATES, they are to think ME, ME, ME! He's trying to curb it and talk about responsibility for my team, but its impossible to change the habits of a lifetime... When Gallas threw his tantrum at Birmingham I knew how he felt cos I felt the same, I was PISSED!!! (no doubt Gallas probably wanted to do it at Chelsea too as we collapsed in ten inexperienced minutes) a lot of people said its "not what a captain does" but I looked at it differently cos - it is what Gallas does, and that tantrum threw up the point that Gallas always made & still feels, that the reliance on youth by Wenger is wrong and the squad needs improvement... They dont subscribe to the same theory - Wenger knows it. The players know it. The fans know it, and the media very much know it. Thast why it was always a risk to give him the armband. When Cesc was suggested people scoffed, but if Gallas over two years doesnt win anything then maybe it shouldnt have been so easily scoffed at... Gallas biggest sins for me this season has been to not publically talk out and pull ranks on Diarra, Gilberto, Bendtner, or Lehmann, maybe Diaby too... Anyway the question is what does Wenger do now... Well he has 7 games to overhaul the league title and 2 minimum games in Europe (maximum off 5) to save his "Project Emirates" team and the most cruical things about those games is they are all likely to be competed against domestic competition... The summer was always going to be interesting to me to see what Wenger did, as champions or not. All I know is the time for sentiment has to go...

Good readIm not sure if giving Gallas the captaincy was a "mistake" like it was with Henry. We can highlight his tantrums & big mouth but alot of players have played better this season then they ever have b4 & Im sure Gallas must have something to do with this. The Chelsea game was only our 2nd loss aswell, where do plp think this new found "resiliance" came from? Im not saying it's all down to Gallas but he must be an influence. He is all for self tho I do agree with that & you don't get the impression he's in love with Arsenal which is why it's easy for certain fans to turn on him.What we have to do now is freshen things up a bit & start rotating the squad.. some enthustiastic fresh legs with some new ideas could do us some good.

Good readIm not sure if giving Gallas the captaincy was a "mistake" like it was with Henry. We can highlight his tantrums & big mouth but alot of players have played better this season then they ever have b4 & Im sure Gallas must have something to do with this. The Chelsea game was only our 2nd loss aswell, where do plp think this new found "resiliance" came from? Im not saying it's all down to Gallas but he must be an influence. He is all for self tho I do agree with that & you don't get the impression he's in love with Arsenal which is why it's easy for certain fans to turn on him.What we have to do now is freshen things up a bit & start rotating the squad.. some enthustiastic fresh legs with some new ideas could do us some good.
Like I said their are two sides to Gallas the winner which is good and the moaner which is bad, its one extreme to the other.

Vieira on the pitch was committed to the club, team mates, and manager...He was a winner and led by winning example, even when he played poorly.He pretty much shared Wenger principles on the pitch & had a great relationship with Wenger, was respected by his peers and loved by his team-mates (look for many players say positive things about his period of leadership in comparsion to Thierry's? Infact does anyone every cite Thierry for leadership?), and importantly was loved by the fans too.Bar his summer infidelities with Madrid, his was a great captain IMO.

Guest Robin_Van_PersG

thought this thread would be selling baptista. No in all seriousness it was a unsure.gif decision at the time, but he is a winner and leader on the pitch. Gilberto is no longer a first team regular and Tiure went african nations so you can kind off see why Gallas was made captain. Do you lot really feel Toure would have been a better captain?

Guest Eduardo
Vieira on the pitch was committed to the club, team mates, and manager...He was a winner and led by winning example, even when he played poorly.He pretty much shared Wenger principles on the pitch & had a great relationship with Wenger, was respected by his peers and loved by his team-mates (look for many players say positive things about his period of leadership in comparsion to Thierry's? Infact does anyone every cite Thierry for leadership?), and importantly was loved by the fans too.Bar his summer infidelities with Madrid, his was a great captain IMO.
Agree with that.Fabregas, Flamini or Toure have to be captain next.