tips on increasing your bench?

J89

Guest M12 Part 2
using a smith machine pushing the bigger weights, i just feel a bit safer using itim going to hit the gym hard next week, the home gym work out is very limited
worst advice ever.

Guest M12 Part 2

my main 2 pieces of advice are use correct form and leave your ego at the door. these are the main obstacles for people newis to the gym.if you can feel it in your triceps/shoulders more than your chest you need to re assess your form. shoulder blades pinched together and retracted. chest puffed out. bring bar to nipples and press in a straight line. ( a lotta people press in a diagnol line)and egoaim for at least 10 sets on chest.if ur benching 60kg and do 8 1st set and then second you only get 4. dont give up. knock off 5-10kg an keep going. dont be disheartened that you're not as strong as you thought u were. or the guy next to you is doing sets of 10 at 90. dropping the weight and carrying on with proper form will serve you much better than giving up. or attempting a next set at the same weight and only getting 2 reps

Guest M12 Part 2

another thing is i dont get why people r shook of benching alone. surely if u can lift the weight 5 or 6 times its not heavy enuf to trap you properly. or come crashing down to the point you cant control it.you only need a spot if your using weight where you can do like 3 reps max

a good way to increase ur bench is to funny enough, decrease the weights and focus more on getting reps inyou can do one of 8x8 or 5x5 routines (8sets-8reps) you will have to reduce the weight by about 35% of wht ur current max is.the focus is on endurance which builds up strength, ideally you can only do 2bodyparts with this routine bcos its very intenseyou stick to the same weight for the whole routine, and your rest time should be no more than 45seconds. each week increase the weight slightly by between 2.5-5.5 kg or lbs it normally takes about 4weeks or more to get back to the max you were lifting before, if your max was 60kg b4 you began ... by the time you get back to 60kg, the next week..add 10kg and begin a normal low rep/set routine with long rest time and see the difference. theres a variety of ways to break a plateau but this is one of the hardest and best routines to to do that, and if you follow it to a T its sick. or you can just rest longer in your current bench routine (3mins)

way I see it is that you gotta be comfortable doing 4 sets of 10-12 reps in your maximum benchonce you can do this increase the weight untill you can only do 1 set of like 8-10 reps then work on thatbut at the same time you gotta work on shoulders + triceps + back + biceps coz these are essential to a good benchonce you do this you should see an automatic increase in how much you can benchA few years ago me doing this helped me from 40kg (strugling) to 4 sets of 80kg (comfortably)that + good healthy eating then your laughingmy weight also increased from around 70kg to 90kg over a summermeh

way I see it is that you gotta be comfortable doing 4 sets of 10-12 reps in your maximum benchonce you can do this increase the weight untill you can only do 1 set of like 8-10 reps then work on that
terrible advice still, the whole idea of lifting heavy is that you lift heavy enough so that you can only get to about 4-6 reps in your maximum theres many ways to increase your weights agreed, but thats way off.

way I see it is that you gotta be comfortable doing 4 sets of 10-12 reps in your maximum benchonce you can do this increase the weight untill you can only do 1 set of like 8-10 reps then work on that
terrible advice still, the whole idea of lifting heavy is that you lift heavy enough so that you can only get to about 4-6 reps in your maximum theres many ways to increase your weights agreed, but thats way off.
whatever works for you initallow saying my advice is terribletake it on board at least you dont have to do itworks for me so meh

LOLI've looked like a prick on benchh press before.When I was just starting out, and I was lifting bout 45K or something, and got to 9 reps, tried to push 10, and the bar was on my chest and i couldnt lift it, and i had to roll it off my chest down my legs onto the floor, then take the weights off and put the bar back. smh. was over embarassing.

what would you say gets your strengh up...using the dumbells or the bench more?
For me dumbells.But I tihnk that's cos I don't do them that often so I can increase my weight quite quickly on them.I seem to get stuck on certain weights for time on bar bench, but that's prolly cos i do it every week.