Who's Gonna Talk To Match Of The Day Now?

TF S4DK

LISBON — Portuguese giants Benfica are courting Alex Ferguson’s assistant at Manchester United, Carlos Queiroz, to become their new coach, the Portuguese press reported today.Sports daily A Bola said that informal talks between the two clubs had already taken place while Diario de Noticias said that a deal which would take Queiroz to Lisbon was all but sealed.The 55-year-old Queiroz, who has been with Ferguson at Old Trafford since 2004, has already made it clear that he was honoured by the interest shown in him by Benfica.He has been head coach for the national sides of Portugal, the United Arad Emirates and South Africa as well as Real Madrid before taking up the Manchester job in 2004.Benfica, who have been forced to play second fiddle to FC Porto on the domestic front in recent years, parted company with their Spanish coach Jose Antonio Camacho on March 9.He was replaced on an interim basis by former Portuguese international Fernando Chalana and he will be in charge to the end of the season.Benfica are currently lying second in the league, four points adrift of FC Porto.
Manchester United assistant boss Carlos Queiroz has issued an official statement through the Portuguese media over speculation linking him with the Benfica job."I do not want to contribute to speculation concerning Benfica, a great club and institution," Queiroz, 55, said. "I have never commented on Benfica's current situation to anyone. But it is always an honour and a privilege to know that a great institution like Benfica may ponder on my name to serve their needs."The Times says Queiroz is likely to reject any offer if he feels that it would jeopardise his ambition of succeeding Sir Alex Ferguson.
Manchester United winger Nani has spoken of his desire for Carlos Queiroz to remain at Old Trafford, in spite of speculation linking Sir Alex Ferguson’s number two with the managerial vacancy at Benfica.After withdrawing alongside Cristiano Ronaldo from the Portuguese squad to face Greece, Nani believes that his compatriot Quieroz should stay at Old Trafford and not return to his homeland.“It would be very sad if Carlos Queiroz left Manchester United to go away to another club,” the 21 year old told his native media. For his part, however, Queiroz failed to dampen speculation that he is being lined up to take the managerial hot-seat at Estadio da Luz.“This is something I do not want to talk about. I do not want to contribute to speculation concerning Benfica, a great club and institution.”Despite being quoted in certain sections of the Portuguese media of having spoken to the Lisbon club, Queiroz was quick to blast the inaccuracies in the local press.He said, "Every statement released by the Portuguese press in direct speech is false. I have never commented on Benfica's current situation to anyone.” "But it is always an honour and a privilege to know that a great institution like Benfica may ponder on my name to serve their needs."Having failed to distance himself from the post, Manchester United may be concerned at losing Queiroz for the second time - he had an ill-fated stint in charge of Real Madrid in 2003.Nani, for his part, revealed also that despite his wonderful cameo at Old Trafford against Liverpool, he had not been singled out for praise by Queiroz or indeed, Ferguson himself, suggesting a genuine and palpable team mentality at the club. No individual is bigger than the team and Nani agrees with this policy."Against Liverpool everything came out very well for me personally and also for the team, but I haven't received any praise from either Ferguson or Queiroz. But that is not rare as Manchester United is a team where everyone works together," he added. "Although we enjoy ourselves we all have our responsibilities and everyone knows what they have to do."

they been reporting that, since the rumour popped up about a month ago..dont think he will go, i understand he was promised the a serious look in at the job in his contract he signed when he returned to the club..if he does, would be a step down for him IMO, hes too young to settle down in portugal in a situation he would excel in..

These assistants definitely play a big role. I remember Brian Kidd, Steve McClaren and now Carlos Queiroz - they've all been influential at United.I swear when each left United didn't win a trophy during them seasons where we had no assistant or if we did win something overall we had a poor season.Kidd left then joined Leeds one day before we played them - WANKER, McClaren went Boro and Queiroz went Madrid. During those periods without an assistant the trophy cabinet wasn't looking too good.Be a big loss if Queiroz went... Unless Fergie plans on him getting some more managerial experience under his belt as well as using him to bring in the talent from Portugal before he returns to take over?

Would be a bad move for benfica, this is the guy that finished 4th at Real Madrid with Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo & Becks at his disposal.
Much more experienced now.Its best for Man U if Carlos takes over as manager, cos it would be like continuation, not much disruption.Dont think he would go, whats the point, Man U job is as good as his when Fergie goes.