R.I.P Rocky Rocastle

Guest Eduardo

Guest Eduardo
David Carlyle Rocastle was born on 2 May 1967 in Lewisham, London. On leaving school in the Summer of 1983, Rocastle joined Arsenal as an apprentice. He spent two successful years in the youth team and was rewarded with a professional contract in time for the 1985-6 season. Rocastle, or 'Rocky' as he became known, made his Arsenal debut in a goalless draw against Newcastle on 28 September 1985 and soon became a regular member of the first team. In 1987, just before his 20th birthday, he helped Arsenal to a famous League Cup Final victory over Liverpool, and their first trophy in 8 years. This was followed up by another League Cup Final appearance a year later, but this time Arsenal surrendered a 2-1 lead to lose 3-2 to a last minute Luton Town winner. Despite that defeat, Arsenal were on the up and, along with other starlets like Tony Adams, Paul Merson and Michael Thomas, Rocky was part of a young Arsenal team that were destined for greatness. In 1989, Rocky and his teammates tasted major glory, winning the clubs first League Championship since 1971 and in dramatic fashion, with a goal in the last minute of the last game of the season, against their nearest rivals Liverpool. It remains the most exciting finish to a league season ever and will probably never be matched. This success was followed up 2 years later when Arsenal once again were crowned champions, this time in even more convincing fashion, losing just one game all season. Unfortunately, injury meant that Rocky's contribution was limited to 18 appearances that season. By the age of 24, Rocky had been an integral part of a team that had picked up 3 trophies in 4 years. His huge contributions were well documented and on 14th September 1988, Rocky was selected to play for England for the first time, in a 1-0 victory over Denmark, which as provided debuts for England greats Paul Gascoigne and Des Walker. Rocky was destined for a long and successful career on both the domestic and international stages. However, in the early 1990s, he suffered a series of injuries which began to hamper his game and in 1992 he was transferred to Leeds, much to the dismay of all Arsenal fans, by whom he was adored. After leaving Arsenal, Rocky played for a number of other clubs, including Leeds, Manchester City and Chelsea, however, the fans of these clubs only saw the Rocky magic in fits and starts as his career continued to be blighted by injury. In 1999, after further short term spells at Norwich City, Hull City and Malaysian outfit Sabah, Rocky succumbed to his injuries and was forced to retire. In all Rocky made 14 appearances for his country, a staggeringly low total for a man with his talent. Despite leaving Arsenal in 1992, Rocky forever remained a part of the Arsenal family. The fans loved him not only because of his brilliance on the pitch, but because he played the game with a smile on face and his heart on his sleeve, and more than that, he always conducted himself as a gentleman. In February 2001, Rocky announced that he was suffering from Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, an aggressive form of cancer that attacks the immune system. He underwent a course of chemotherapy and thousands of fans prayed for his recovery, but this was a battle that was too much, even for David Rocastle. Rocky passed away on 31st March 2001, aged just 33.

Hugely talented player, HUGELY, as much ability as John Barnes had, terribly underrated player amongst non Arsenal fans.1 of the first people I used to try copy their stepovers in Primary school lol.He once told my dad to f*ck off jokingly still when my dad shouted "OI ROCASTLE" in the street lol.Of Grenadian descent also :DR.I.P still, was shocked when my friend told me in the car, he said Ian Wright was crying on live radio, that made me sad, too young to die still.

Hugely talented player, HUGELY, as much ability as John Barnes had, terribly underrated player amongst non Arsenal fans.1 of the first people I used to try copy their stepovers in Primary school lol.He once told my dad to f*ck off jokingly still when my dad shouted "OI ROCASTLE" in the street lol.Of Grenadian descent also :DR.I.P still, was shocked when my friend told me in the car, he said Ian Wright was crying on live radio, that made me sad, too young to die still.
r.i.p a true legend

March 31 was the seventh anniversary of David Rocastle's death.REDaction would like to encourage all Arsenal fans to sing Rocky's name loud and clear, for the first two minutes of Wednesday's Champions League game against Liverpool.Millions will be watching on TV around the world - so lets let them know that we still remember Rocky.

March 31 was the seventh anniversary of David Rocastle's death.REDaction would like to encourage all Arsenal fans to sing Rocky's name loud and clear, for the first two minutes of Wednesday's Champions League game against Liverpool.Millions will be watching on TV around the world - so lets let them know that we still remember Rocky.
I'll be singing it... Infact watch me start it.