Wenger's Blind Spot Is An Insult to Every Fan's Intelligence

Young £

http://soccershout.com/2008/03/31/ar...-intelligence/Arsene Wenger’s Blind Spot is an Insult to Fans’ IntelligencePublished on March 31, 2008 by Phil McThomasIf you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!Arsene Wenger’s blind spot has become legion in footballing circles. “Doing a Wenger” has become synonymous with pretending not to see something that implicates one of your players.That’s all well and good to a degree - it’s the footballing equivalent of pleading the fifth - but there comes a point you’d have to assume that your audience are imbeciles if they’re going to buy it. And as Wenger’s audience are also the people who pour their money into the sport - and therefore his club - he’s insulting his customers. And that’s just not cool.Wenger on Martin Taylor’s tackle on Eduardo:“The tackle was horrendous and unforgivable.”He did retract the statement that contained that comment, but presumably he would still stand by that part of it. “On reflection, I feel that my comments about Martin Taylor were excessive”, he later said, but nothing along the lines of “the tackle wasn’t that bad after all”.So after Abou Diaby’s red card against Bolton (video), which to my mind was right up there with Martin Taylor’s leg-breaker, we get“I was not upset with the sending off but I felt it was more of a protective tackle. But he was too high so I don’t complain. Just before that I thought it was a foul on him.”You’re probably familiar with the concept of parallel universes. The theory says that there are an infinite number of them, but for the sake of time and bandwidth, there’s only two of them that I want you to try and imagine.In another universe, Eduardo is still skipping about on the football pitch and no-one has spent any more time thinking about Martin Taylor than they did last season, which is not very much. However, Bolton’s Gretar Steinsson is in hospital with a compound fracture of his shin, thanks to Abou Diaby’s lunge. It could easily have happened.What would Wenger have said then?“I was not upset with the sending off but I felt it was more of a protective tackle. But he was too high so I don’t complain. Just before that I thought it was a foul on him.”Let’s dance on to another parallel universe. This one is even more uncomfortable for Mr Wenger. In this universe, there have been two broken legs in the Premier League this season - one a piece for Eduardo and Steinsson.What would Wenger have said then?“I was not upset with the sending off but I felt it was more of a protective tackle. But he was too high so I don’t complain. Just before that I thought it was a foul on him.”I don’t think Wenger’s blind spot is his inability to notice things that happen on a football pitch - his job title will tell you that cannot be true. His blind spot is that he can’t tell when he’s sounding ridiculous and treating those that pay his wages like morons.
Over the top at some points, but the gist is true..91986656um3.jpgSpot the difference?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cousin Of Sleep

I was thinking, 'its good that he says it because it protects his players, which is what a manager should do, even though i hate him for it'then I saw the pic =\Diaby should never play again..@_@

and who watched the last word on sundaywhen they were comparing the challenges..Diabys was MUCH more aggresive but the thing that saved the bolton dude was that hes studs didnt grip into the pitch as much as Eduardo's did due to how the rain that was falling...also Eduardo's was on the outside of his ankle and Steinsson's was on the inside..both f*ck*ng appauling challenges though

Guest Cousin Of Sleep
I think they should ban Diaby for 2 years.
:DSomeone should just ask him, do you not see it as the same type of challenge that dun eduardo's dance, see what he says..

Wenger has always pleaded the 5th (I didn't see it)... Thats just Wenger and I dont see it as a insult to the fans intelligence, for example I'd have more issue if my club's manager didnt speak to the television license paying channel...Wenger's issue with Taylor, well that tackle and whole incident, is this idea that a lot of people subscribe too, that in order to get something off Arsenal you must kick or rough them up...