Facebook, Bebo and Myspace Put Kids 'at risk'

Goddaz

FOR JOHN RAMBO & OTHERS WHO THINK THEIR ABOVE EVERYONE ELSE LOL:The Telegraph:Facebook, MySpace to carry 999 linkhttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main....2/dlsafe302.xmlThe Guardian:http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/...etworking.ofcomTHE REST:Daily Mailhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...d=1770&ct=5Parents are alarmingly ignorant of the danger posed to millions of girls by social networking websites, a report reveals. A study of sites such as Bebo, Facebook and MySpace shows children using them can be at great risk from paedophiles and bullies. More than a quarter of children aged eight to 11 bypass online age restrictions to put reams of intensely personal detail about themselves online. Youngsters feel "invincible" when on the web, the report says, but they are setting up meetings with strangers and are often "addicted" to social networking sites. Teenage girls think nothing of posting profiles accompanied by sexually provocative pictures of themselves along with personal details including names, addresses and the school they attend. In addition, families regularly show private pictures of their children online, unaware that all other website users can see them, not just friends. The true scale of the risk came to light after a major investigation by the communications watchdog Ofcom. It found that parents who think they know what their children are doing, are often hopelessly out of touch with their child's activities on the internet. Last night the Daily Mail discovered some of the shocking content youngsters are putting up on these sites. This includes a 14-year-old girl whose profile picture, which can be viewed by anyone, focuses on her breasts. Another 15-year- old is smirking at the camera as she grabs her breasts. She has listed her date of birth, her home town and name of school. One has also innocently posted pictures of her ten-year-old sister half-clothed alongside lots of personal information, including full name and home town.Another 16-year-old is seen posing in her underwear in dozens of photographs. Ofcom's first in-depth study was published days after psychologist Dr Tanya Byron's review on child Internet safety recommended a voluntary code of practice for social networking sites. The Ofcom report also comes after the Home Office published guidance for children and parents on how to safely use such sites. Parents will be told to monitor their children's Internet use, and check their entries on Facebook and MySpace. Yesterday Ofcom called on parents to do more to clamp down on their children's online activities, saying they are largely ignorant of the issue. Robin Blake, head of media literacy at Ofcom said: "There is an issue about parents who are allowing their children to go online without any supervision. "They need to recognise that their children are potentially at risk." James Thickett, director of market research at the regulator, added: "There are a number of discrepancies between what children are doing and what parents believe they are doing. "The sites tend to have a caveat that says 'this is not appropriate for children under a certain age', but this doesn't stop children using it. "Parents are not aware of what their children are doing." The report also revealed that there are concerns about cyber-bullying, with some even admitting they were using the sites to get back at people. Youngsters in the survey claimed to be not bothered about risks because the need to make friends is more important than being "safety conscious".

Didn't read post tbh but i think its bull when parents say their kids are at risk of the net and it's bad.No, you're a sh*t parent if you let them browse freely and sign up to these sites and get groomed. You phailed if your child falls for grooming, don't mean to be harsh but it's true

Does anybody actually use bebo?
LMAOThey were talking about this on 'The Wright Stuff' earlier and some woman rang in.She had checked her daughter msn messages and, I quote... 'She had been groomed into going on webcam'All I was thinking was, 'I bet it was someone off VIP'
lol, I saw that. the way she started crying had me creasing. how can her daughter be "groomed" into doing it? she was what 14/15? I think she's old enough to know what she should and shouldn't do.

thing is a lot of parents dont kno f*ck all about technologythey grew up in a time where at one point, people didnt have tvs in their homes let alone pcs
true that true thatbut then there is always gonna be a gap between adults and teens i mean look how you lot treat me and im only a few years older than most parents wouldnt bother not the older generation anyway.

Kinda truea family friend was showing me her myspace and friends [she's around 14]Anyway she was showing me her friends myspaces. the poses and pictures they had upped on the net was kinda scary and distubing still..they put theirsefl at risk from time they sign up to these sites.

Guest Mr. BLK

the company that i work for are being funded by the govt to run a programme to tackle this 'problem'guess who's involved in the developmentByron report dropped last weekOfcom report gets published on fridayI'm on this ting.....