Better to play the 1st Leg CL Home or Away?

King Poetic

I always felt it was better to play the first leg at home and the second leg away in the Champion's League. That way you can use the home support in the first game to build an advantage then kill the game off in the second leg as you would then know what you need to do.Away goals would work to your advantage as playing the first leg at home would mean that you would know what you need to score in the second leg to win on away goals. Its a psychological thing as your objectives become more defined. If you play the first leg away, as we do tonight, than if you don't score today it may play on our minds next week if Arsenal get an away goal.I am curious to see what the success rate is for teams that played their home leg first versus those that played their away leg first.What do you think? Is it better to play home or away first?

Away leg firstGo to their ground, be a bit cautious and try to attack and get a goal when you can. Maybe walk with a clean sheet and a away goal.Then 2nd leg in front of your fans, going into the game with a good result, pressure on the other team so they will have to go all out attacking and pushing men up forward. Kill them on the counter attack.

you guys are forgetting that playing the 2nd leg away gives you an extra 30mins to score an away goal if the game goes to extra time. (In reality, this rule needs to be scrapped because it is not fair)Also psychologically, knowing that a score draw will take you through should the first leg end 0-0 will ensure that the team is relaxed in the second leg. Even if the away team concedes there will not be that much pressure to score, as they would have to score anyway to go through.This was why I was so confident that Arsenal would make it through after the first leg and the emirates.

Home first, for us anyway.f*cked up bare times when we played away first, Psv, Chlesea and Bayern come to mind.Way I see it, get a good advantage in the home leg and hopefully a clean sheetthen in they away leg

go into the game with a good result, pressure on the other team so they will have to go all out attacking and pushing men up forward. Kill them on the counter attack.

Guest Robin_Van_PersG

Home first, get your victory then put the pressure on the other team to win at home knowing that an away goal could kill them off. Then likes already been mentioned the prospect of extra time and away goals has a big advantage for an away team.

Away in the return leg...Specially if you are an attcking team.You know what you need to do and you can do it...if you need to keep a clean sheet in the second leg and you are at home, once they have scored - you can nolonger do that...You can always score goals.AND FFS AWAY GOALS DO NOT COUNT AS DOUBLE!!Why the f*ck do dumbass comentators say this every game?If you lose 4-2 away, and the second leg is 0-0 YOU GO OUT!

I was having this same argument the other day. Personally i think its all psychological (kinda like how EVERY1 has a 'bogey team' lol) I guess it changes from team 2 team but the general consensus is its better 2 get the away leg out of way so if it does go belly up abroad u can rectify whatever went wrong in front of ur own fans. And the whole 'away goals rule' should be scrapped and switched with something else.

AND FFS AWAY GOALS DO NOT COUNT AS DOUBLE!!Why the f*ck do dumbass comentators say this every game?If you lose 4-2 away, and the second leg is 0-0 YOU GO OUT!
I think everyone knows that away goals only come into effect when the scores (on aggregate) are tied...But yes they way they explain it is wrong well most of them anyway

Both ties are as hard as each other potentially but depends what type of team youre facing.Playing away 1st you can go all out and kill off the tie there, knock the other team hard for confidence aswell Then just go home and do a job and be careful whilst playing your game without as much pressure.Ie: what Man Utd hope to do to Roma.If youre playing a REALLY good team though with more than 1 match winner, then its best to play at home 1st, keep it tight then try knick it away.If you got a team of match winners coming to your ground 2nd leg they will be well up for the game with little pressure ie Ronaldo hat trick at Old Trafford.