Official ViP2 Book Club

Action Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was pretty good. I heard the film is quite decent, too? Might d/l that for tomorrow.

I enjoyed the book, need to read the other two books in the trilogy.

/

I thought the lovely bones was a boring book, its been hyped a lot.

• Downvote 1

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was pretty good. I heard the film is quite decent, too? Might d/l that for tomorrow.

ive read the first and second ones. second one is good too. gonna start the third one tonight

epub file + andoid epud reader = books on the go

Iceberg-Slim-Pimp-book.jpg

finished this took like a week, easy reading.

51NC8ndlMsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

showerfaced book includes this tale

Banco Noroeste S.A. was a Brazilian bank at the centre of the 419 scam, which was described as the "single biggest advanced fee fraud case in the whole world" by the former chairman of Nigeria's Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Alhaji Nuhu Ribadu. Between May 1995 and February 1998, a total of US$242 million was reportedly stolen from the Banco Noroeste S. A. through offshore banks in the Cayman islands. 1 The money was remitted by swift transfers through various banks to accounts controlled by Nigerian nationals, Ikechukwu Christian Anajemba, Emmanuel Odinigwe Nwude, Nzeribe Okoli and Amaka Anajemba (wife of Ikechukwu Christian Anajemba). The authorisation for all the transfers was done by Nelson Tetsuo Sakaguchi, a senior official at the bank. The Nigerians, in a 419 plan, came up with a fake contract to build an airport in Abuja. They promised Nelson Tetsuo Sakaguchi a big commission in exchange for funding the contract.

The fraud was detected in February 1998 while Sakaguchi was on vacation, in the process of auditing carried out in readiness for the intended sale of the Bank Noroeste to Spanish banking group Banco Santander. Inquiry revealed discrepancies in the bank's books, with at least US$242 million missing. Of this sum, US$190 million had been transferred directly to accounts controlled by the Nigerians or through unlawful money changing operations conducted by Naresh Asnani (a British subject of Indian descent resident in Nigeria) and Ezugo Dan Nwandu (a Nigerian businessman resident in Enugu). 2

Following the discoveries, civil actions aiming to recover the money were commenced in Brazil, Switzerland, Hong Kong, the United States of America and in Nigeria. In addition to the civil actions, criminal complaints were laid in Brazil, Switzerland, USA, Hong Kong and Nigeria. 3

The accused persons and companies were charged with obtaining by false pretence $190 million from one of the directors of Banco Noroeste Bank. 4

In prosecution, Nwude and Okoli plead guilty to numerous crimes and forfeited $121.5 million dollars in assets. Anajemba too pleaded guilty and she received a two and half year sentence after agreeing to give back $48.5 million. 5

In July 2002, investigators acting for the bank's shareholders (with the assistance of Dr. Hakim Ukeh - also suspected of participating in the fraud) persuaded Sakaguchi to visit New York, ostensibly for a meeting with the shareholders, where he was arrested on an international warrant issued by the Swiss government and extradited to Switzerland to answer money laundering charges. He admitted involvement in the fraud. 6 In December 2002, Naresh Asnani was arrested in Miami, while en route to a meeting with lawyers acting for the shareholders, on an international warrant issued by the Swiss Government. He was extradited to Switzerland to answer similar charges of money-laundering. On October 31 2003, he too admitted involvement in the fraud.

im now looking for books that can help aspire to my rightful state and unlock the infinite intelligence which the almighty bestowed on human kind

any suggestions?

• 1 month later...
Guest Esquilax

^ I've always liked the Anthony Horowitz books (for the young adult writers)

/

super_freakonomics.JPG

is this as good as the first one?

Lol I remember someone on Twitter saying to steer clear of books with that sort of title

Serious Thing

Serious Thing

Silly Thing

• 4 months later...
Guest Supreme Allah

/

I thought the lovely bones was a boring book, its been hyped a lot.

i liked the lovely bones, film was kinda dead but i liked the book

/

got given a free book last week for world book night, f*ckin HENCH though

Guest M12 Part 2

Currently reading the Tao of Physics and Fault lines.

I ought to read more fiction, but I can't help seeing it as timewasting at this point in my life.

I'm the same. I see it more as fiction is running away from the real world. I like the real world and just think my time is better spent learning about things that will help me in it.

One of the olders at work who's opinion I respect said that the best thing he ever read that has been influential in his life is atlas shrugged by ayn rand and thats fiction. So that's next on my list. He told me it took him 2 years to read on and off though.

• Downvote 1

Guest Esquilax

I've yet to read Atlas Shrugged, will do at some point

/

Fiction is an entertainment outlet like music and film, you don't have to gain info from reading just because it's reading

• Upvote 1

Guest M12 Part 2

yeah i know. It sounds silly but i just associate reading with learning. To entertain myself i'd rather be around people, at an event or just killing time on the internet/tv.

But at the same time I do like reading, we have a bit of a strange relationship