Official ViP2 Book Club

Action Dan

Guest Esquilax

yeah i know. It sounds silly but i just associate reading with learning. To entertain myself i'd rather be around people, at an event or just killing time on the internet/tv.

But at the same time I do like reading, we have a bit of a strange relationship

My Dad is exactly the same, reads mountains of papers and magazine but never touches novels

I guess if it doesn't interest you then what can you do

Guest Yilmaz

Currently reading the Tao of Physics and Fault lines.

I ought to read more fiction, but I can't help seeing it as timewasting at this point in my life.

I'm the same. I see it more as fiction is running away from the real world. I like the real world and just think my time is better spent learning about things that will help me in it.

One of the olders at work who's opinion I respect said that the best thing he ever read that has been influential in his life is atlas shrugged by ayn rand and thats fiction. So that's next on my list. He told me it took him 2 years to read on and off though.

Where do you think my last sig quotation was from?

"It's not a question of who's going to let me, but of who's going to stop me"

Problem with Rand is, it can be taken too literally at times. There's one guy I know who lives for Objectivist philosophy and he's quite frightening.

Guest M12 Part 2

Im always sceptical about books by/on rappers as just another way for them to make money. They are usually a rehashed version of a popular book already in circulation just with the added draw of a rapper to reel in a different market. Half the time the rapper wont even know what's in the book. The way i see it with books though. If theres any chance you'll be interested in it you should buy it. Its better to read it and find out its good, bad, useful or useless than not to read it and potentially miss out on something worthwhile. Especially in this age when we're paying £20 entry to a rave or for £5 for a McDonalds. Spending £6/7 on Amazon is nothing

• Upvote 1

Im always sceptical about books by/on rappers as just another way for them to make money. They are usually a rehashed version of a popular book already in circulation just with the added draw of a rapper to reel in a different market. Half the time the rapper wont even know what's in the book. The way i see it with books though. If theres any chance you'll be interested in it you should buy it. Its better to read it and find out its good, bad, useful or useless than not to read it and potentially miss out on something worthwhile. Especially in this age when we're paying £20 entry to a rave or for £5 for a McDonalds. Spending £6/7 on Amazon is nothing

aka the 50th law by 50 cent

true

yeah i know. It sounds silly but i just associate reading with learning. To entertain myself i'd rather be around people, at an event or just killing time on the internet/tv.

But at the same time I do like reading, we have a bit of a strange relationship

My Dad is exactly the same, reads mountains of papers and magazine but never touches novels

I guess if it doesn't interest you then what can you do

same here, the last fiction books i read would've been in secondary school. not even about time, i woudlnt be able to spend more than 20 minutes on it.

Guest Yilmaz

aka the 50th law by 50 cent

true

Funny thing is that a lot of the people the 50 laws of power was aimed at, have an unread or merely scanned copy of the 48 laws of power in their room. It's like a pseudo-intellectual book that most people think will make them rich and powerful...lulworthy

I bet man like Captain Planet has the 48 laws of power/

I need some recommendations if possible, i've read through the last few pages of the thrad and have decided to purchase - Gomorrah by Robert Saviano and The Plague by Albert Camus, but am looking for a few more books...

The last few books i read were:

Enemy Number One by Patrick Veitch - which i enjoyed

Illusions The Adventure of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach - which i didn't particularly enjoy

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho - which i did enjoy

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

23 Things They Dont Tell You About Capitalism:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/aug/29/ha-joon-chang-23-things

Ha-Joon Chang writes: "Economists are not some innocent technicians who did a decent job within the narrow confines of their expertise until they were collectively wrong-footed by a once-in-a-century disaster that no one could have predicted." Far from being an inward-looking, hermetic discipline, economics has been a hugely powerful – and profitable – enterprise, shaping the policies of governments and companies throughout much of the world. The results have been little short of disastrous. As Chang puts it: "Economics, as it has been practised in the last three decades, has been positively harmful for most people."

Guest Supreme Allah

just looked on the amazon uk site n i cnt even see a category for forein language books, bt im sure its there as i think the kindle is sold in Russia aswell.

gt the app on my phone bt long using that i just wanted to check it out, guess the kindle itself is better

I need some recommendations if possible, i've read through the last few pages of the thrad and have decided to purchase - Gomorrah by Robert Saviano and The Plague by Albert Camus, but am looking for a few more books...

The last few books i read were:

Enemy Number One by Patrick Veitch - which i enjoyed

Illusions The Adventure of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach - which i didn't particularly enjoy

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho - which i did enjoy

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

the stranger/outsider by camus is sick

• Upvote 1