Lehmann - It was just banter with Almunia

TF S4DK

With his Arsenal career nearing a bittersweet end, Jens Lehmann claims he has made peace with Manuel Almunia after criticising his goalkeeping rival on numerous occasions this season.The Spaniard took advantage of two mistakes from Lehmann in the first two games of the season to claim the number one spot at Arsenal and never relinquished the role, much to Arsene Wenger’s former favourite's annoyance.As the battle for the number one jersey became ever more bitter, Lehmann lashed out at Almunia in the press, claiming the former Celta Vigo keeper had yet to show he could win big games for the club. Meanwhile, Almunia accused Lehmann of hating him and snubbing him in training.Germany’s number one has now revealed he has sought out Almunia to heal the rift before he leaves Emirates Stadium in the summer, and has told the Spaniard that the intense rivalry will benefit him in the long run.“I told him he should never take anything personally and that somehow he will realise he will benefit from that competition between me and him because it made him better,” said Lehmann in the Daily Mail.“I realised this myself when I was number two with the German national team and Oliver Kahn was in front of me.“You make a decision to compete with the guy and you push every day and that makes you better.“That is basically what I told him and we’re okay now.“From my point of view it’s over. If I see him next season somewhere, I can always come to him and shake his hand and wish him all the best.“I respect him, you will have to ask him what he thinks.”