Clichy ready to sign new deal

Taurus

Gael Clichy is expected to sign a new four-year contract with Arsenal in the coming days.The deal will disappoint Milan, Juventus and Real Madrid, who are believed to be keen admirers of the French full-back.Clichy has become a firm fixture in the Gunners' rearguard since stepping into Ashley Cole's boots, and has been a consistent performer for Arsene Wenger's men over the last two years.He was the only player to feature in all 38 of Arsenal's Premier League fixtures in 2007/08 and has made it clear that his immediate future lies at Emirates Stadium.Intentions"We're at the end of our discussions," Clichy told France Football."Everything's going well because my intention is clear: I want to stay at Arsenal."I would love to have a career here like Patrick Vieira or Thierry Henry, to stay many years at Arsenal and leave my mark on the club."I've been in London for five years. If everything goes well I will stay here for at least eight years."Clichy's current deal is not due to expire until 2010 but he admits that the opportunity to continue working with Wenger was a key factor in persuading him to commit to the club."We're talking about a further two years," Clichy added. "And in that period, the coach will still be at the club."It's him who brought me here; it's him who built this young team."It's a superb plan to throw yourself into the future with this group here. I never hesitated, not at all. Arsenal is one of the great clubs in Europe."For youngsters it's ideal, the coach gets our career's going, gives us confidence. We're playing in a passionate championship, the best in the world. So there's everything together."ExperienceClichy has seen his countryman Mathieu Flamini pack his bags for Milan, while Alexander Hleb continues to be linked with Internazionale.However, the 22-year-old insists that he has no intention of leaving North London any time soon."Everyone makes their own decision," continued Clichy. "I respect Mathieu's choice - AC Milan isn't an opportunity that comes around often."But it's not because this one or that one is going that I'm going to follow them."Even if it's possible to experience great things elsewhere, in other leagues, I am persuaded that with our team we can go very, very far."

• 1 month later...

Gael Clichy signs new long-term contract with ArsenalArsenal Football Club is delighted to announce that Gael Clichy has signed a new long term contract with the Club.Since joining Arsenal from AS Cannes in August 2003, Clichy (22), has become a first team regular, and has now made 146 appearances for the Club.Left back Clichy, who became the youngest ever winner of a Premier League champion’s medal in 2004, made the most Arsenal first team appearances of any player in the 2007/08 season, featuring in 49 of the Club’s 58 matches in all competitions.Gael’s performances last season also earned him great acknowledgement from his fellow professionals, as he was voted into the PFA Team of the Year.Everyone at the Club is looking forward to Gael’s continued contribution in the forthcoming years.[ Friday, June 20, 2008]

• 3 years later...