Ronaldo “I have said millions of times that I would love to play in Spain"

MrJibbles

Cristiano Ronaldo last night cast a shadow over Manchester United's Champions League final preparations by flirting with Real Madrid and declaring that he will make a decision on his future after the showdown with Chelsea next Wednesday.In an interview with a Madrid-based television station, Ronaldo, who picked up the Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year award in London last night, made clear that he still harbours ambitions to play in Spain and, more alarmingly for United, suggested that he would resolve where to ply his trade after the match in Moscow.United maintain that there is no decision for Ronaldo to make, given that he has four years remaining on a five-year contract worth £120,000 a week. David Gill, the chief executive, announced recently that Ronaldo is not for sale at any price and that it would make “no sense” to sell him, even for a world-record fee in excess of £50million. But Old Trafford officials were dismayed to learn of the 23-year-old's comments yesterday at a media open day that was held to preview the Champions League final.In interviews with United's official media outlets, Ronaldo has continually stated his long-term commitment to the Barclays Premier League champions, but his comments to the Spanish media have been markedly different in tone.While he said on several occasions yesterday that he was “happy” at Old Trafford, the overriding message was that he may be even happier in Spain - music to the ears of his persistent suitors in Madrid. Questioned about his future by Spanish television journalists, Ronaldo said: “I am happy here, but let's see what happens after the Champions League final. I am feeling calm here. I'm happy here, but in the future I don't know.”Asked whether he specifically meant moving to Spain, the Portuguese replied: “I have said millions of times that I would love to play in Spain, but it's one thing to dream and another thing for it to be reality. I don't know the club [Real], but I know that they like my game. I know that other teams in Spain like me as well. It's good to know that they like my game, but I am happy here.”The view in Madrid for much of this season - even from Ramón Calderón, their ebullient and highly ambitious president - has been that “Project Ronaldo” was on hold until at least 2009, but they appear to have been given some encouragement in recent weeks, perhaps by the player's agent, Jorge Mendes, or those close to him. It cannot have gone unnoticed in Madrid that recent gossip columns have linked Ronaldo heavily with Nereida Gallardo, a model based in Spain.United have been mystified by the number of reports in recent months suggesting that Ronaldo is in talks over a new contract that would increase his wages to £150,000 a week. They have been so irked by them that last month they took the unusual step of issuing a statement to say that, having agreed that contract barely 12 months earlier, no such negotiations were taking place or even planned.One source close to Ronaldo, though, maintains that the forward will pursue another new contract at the end of the season and that his future will be dictated by United's willingness or otherwise to accommodate his increased demands. The TimesThe GuardianThe Sun
Pretty much every newspaper is running this story.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The InterviewWhat Else He Said

Footballer of the Year Cristiano Ronaldo has vowed to continue his improvement at champions Manchester United next season.The Reds winger, 23, collected the prestigious award voted for by the Football Writers' Association at a gala dinner in London on Thursday night.The 23-year-old Portugal international - who was also named the Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year - topped the poll of journalists ahead of Liverpool striker Fernando Torres and Portsmouth goalkeeper David James.Ronaldo, who also won the accolade last season, netted an outstanding 41 goals during the regular season, including 31 in the Premier League as United beat Chelsea to the title.The two clubs go head to head in the Champions League final in Moscow next week, and both managers Sir Alex Ferguson and Avram Grant were at the Royal Lancaster Hotel on Thursday evening to see the brilliant winger presented with his trophy.Ronaldo maintained he had every intention of bettering his performance next season.Following a tribute from former Manchester United and England midfielder Bobby Charlton, Ronaldo said: "I am very happy to win this award. It is very important for me to win again, but most important is the collective awards (of the team)."I am still going to want to win more, to carry on like this, I will not stop because I have these two awards."Next season I will try to do my best again."I have improved every season and will try to improve next season."I am enjoying my football, and want to carry on."
all can be heavily interpretedhe aint going no where for at least 2 seasons though

From the Daily ExpressJust when Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson thought all was well in his camp, star player Cristiano Ronaldo has tossed in a hand grenade.Ronaldo had the chance yesterday to shoot down once and for all speculation linking him with a possible move to Real Madrid – and didn’t.He refused to close the door on a move to the Bernabeu or Barcelona. It was very much a case of keeping options open.Everyone expects Ronaldo, 23, to fulfil his ambition and play in Spain eventually. But the way he was talking at United’s Champions League final media day suggested it could happen this summer.When asked by Spanish television station Antenna about his future he said: “I am happy here [united] but let’s see what happens after the Champions League final.“I am feeling calm here. I’m happy here but, in the future, I don’t know.”Ronaldo’s mum has already stated her desire to see him play for Real, while Bernabeu president Ramon Calderon is apparently “obsessed” with the idea of buying the player, who is now recognised as the best footballer in the world.According to Ronaldo, it seems a move is not so much a question of if – but when. “I’ve said millions of times that I would love to play in Spain. But it’s one thing to dream and another thing for it to be reality,” he said.“I know Real Madrid like how I play and I know that other teams in Spain like my game as well, so that’s good – but I’m happy here.”It is understood Real have been encouraged by his representatives to think there might be a chance of signing him this summer and they are prepared to try to make it happen by offering United £100million.Real’s financial director Miguel Angel Arroyo believes all United have to do is name their price.He is confident any deal for Ronaldo, like the one for David Beckham in 2003, would effectively pay for itself from the boost to their commercial activities.He said: “Real Madrid have the solvency and the financial liquidity to be able to take on a signing of the magnitude of Cristiano Ronaldo.“It would be economically beneficial because of the merchandising that would arise from it.“If it is not possible for the club to sign him, it would not be because of money but for other reasons.”And there are theories for and against a possible deal. One is that Ronaldo’s agent, Jorge Mendes, is just trying the time-honoured tactic of applying some pressure to get a new and improved deal out of United, even though the player is only one season into a five-year contract.There are suggestions he wants extra money for Ronaldo’s image rights, well aware that United are making a fortune out of merchandise bearing his name and picture.On the other hand, if United beat Chelsea in Wednesday’s Champions League final, the player may feel he has achieved all he can in England during the past five years, with two league titles, the FA Cup, League Cup, Community Shield and every individual award.Ronaldo appears to change his tune depending on who he talks to. Earlier in the week, in an interview with MUTV, he said: “I’m at the right club, playing with the right players and I learn things all the time. That is what is great about being at United.“I improve all the time and I want to improve every season. I am a better player now than five years ago. This season has been great for me. I’ve scored a lot of goals, the team have played very well and we are champions. It is amazing.“But to be the best player in the world I have to win the Champions League.”Whatever his contradictory messages, a renewed bout of speculation surrounding his 41-goal leading scorer is the last thing Ferguson needs as United prepare for their big final against Chelsea.He is annoyed with Real’s approach to unsettling their transfer targets and could do without Ronaldo fuelling the speculation.United chief executive David Gill maintained only this week that no offer would tempt them to sell their star asset and he expects Ronaldo to see out the remaining four years of his £120,000-a-week contract.

If we win champsthats 2 Premierships1 F.A Cup1 League Cup1 Champions Leaguewinners medals for himand he will also look back on 2 FA Cup, 1 League runner's up Medalsplus a Individual record that consists off

* PFA Players' Player of the Year: 2007, 2008 * PFA Young Player of the Year: 2007 * PFA Fans' Player of the Year: 2007, 2008 * PFA Premier League Team of the Year: 2005-2006, 2006-2007, 2007-2008 * Barclays Player of the Season: 2006-2007, 2007-2008 * Football Writers' Association Award: 2007, 2008 * Barclays Player of the Month: November 2006, December 2006, January 2008, March 2008 * PFA Fans' Player of the Month: October 2006, February 2007 * Portuguese Sports Personality: 2006 * Portuguese Footballer of the Year: 2007 * Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year: 2003-2004, 2006-2007, 2007-2008 * Manchester United Players' Player of the Year: 2006-2007, 2007-2008 * Manchester United Goal of the Season: 2007-2008 * FIFPro World XI: 2006-2007 * UEFA Team of the Year: 2004, 2007 * UEFA European Championship 2004: Team of the Tournament * European Footballer of the Year - Ballon d'Or: o 2nd place: 2007 * Onze d'Or o 2nd place: 2007 * FIFA Bronze World Player of the Year: 2007 * FIFPro Special Young Player of the Year: 2005, 2006 * Bravo Award: 2004 * English Golden Boot: 2007–08 * Barclays Merit Prize: 2008 * World Soccer Player of the Year: 2008
i did find it quite suprising that he/we have won so much recently, when you put it all next to each other

If we win champsthats 2 Premierships1 F.A Cup1 League Cup1 Champions Leaguewinners medals for himand he will also look back on 2 FA Cup, 1 League runner's up Medalsplus a Individual record that consists off
* PFA Players' Player of the Year: 2007, 2008 * PFA Young Player of the Year: 2007 * PFA Fans' Player of the Year: 2007, 2008 * PFA Premier League Team of the Year: 2005-2006, 2006-2007, 2007-2008 * Barclays Player of the Season: 2006-2007, 2007-2008 * Football Writers' Association Award: 2007, 2008 * Barclays Player of the Month: November 2006, December 2006, January 2008, March 2008 * PFA Fans' Player of the Month: October 2006, February 2007 * Portuguese Sports Personality: 2006 * Portuguese Footballer of the Year: 2007 * Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year: 2003-2004, 2006-2007, 2007-2008 * Manchester United Players' Player of the Year: 2006-2007, 2007-2008 * Manchester United Goal of the Season: 2007-2008 * FIFPro World XI: 2006-2007 * UEFA Team of the Year: 2004, 2007 * UEFA European Championship 2004: Team of the Tournament * European Footballer of the Year - Ballon d'Or: o 2nd place: 2007 * Onze d'Or o 2nd place: 2007 * FIFA Bronze World Player of the Year: 2007 * FIFPro Special Young Player of the Year: 2005, 2006 * Bravo Award: 2004 * English Golden Boot: 2007–08 * Barclays Merit Prize: 2008 * World Soccer Player of the Year: 2008
i did find it quite suprising that he/we have won so much recently, when you put it all next to each other
Didnt we win the league in his first season aswell?Cant remember if he had signed by then

Rsonist always bringing Arsenal & Arsenal players is tiring now. You have an obsession.
Quit crying.Its called a comparison, something that usually happens when discussing football matters.
Who's crying? I'm laughing at how pathetic you are.I dont see the comparsion at all, but hey.