Wenger on Alex Song "I'm always proved right cuzzy"

TF S4DK

Arsène Wenger can remember newspaper articles which claimed that Alex Song is his worst ever buy. Now the Arsenal manager believes his faith in the Cameroon youngster is being rewarded.Wenger plucked Song from Bastia in the summer of 2005 but first-team chances were few and far between in his first two seasons with the Club. That has all changed now. Song impressed in Arsenal's run to this year's Carling Cup Semi-Finals and, having earned a late call-up to Cameroon's squad for the Africa Cup of Nations, was named in the tournament's Best XI.Injury sidelined Song on his return from Ghana and he was a surprise inclusion to face Manchester United in a vital title clash in April. He barely put a foot wrong at Old Trafford and went on to play every minute of Arsenal's last five Premier League fixtures. Song's performances have surprised those who questioned his ability, but Wenger was never in doubt about the 20-year-old's talents."I believe he is a remarkable player and I was one of the very, very few who believed in Alexandre Song," said Wenger."I can show you articles in newspapers which said that [he] was the worst buy I have made but you will see in one or two years that he will be a great player for Arsenal."Song's late-season surge has prompted speculation that he could replace Mathieu Flamini in the centre of midfield following the Frenchman's decision to join AC Milan. Song is comfortable in the engine room - he shone in that role while on loan at Charlton last season - but Wenger has other plans for the Cameroon international."Trust me, if I make a decision it is because I know all the characteristics of the player whether they are physical or mental characteristics," he said."When I put a player somewhere, I know why I do. If I play Song at centre back it is because I believe he will be a great centre back for Arsenal Football Club."In Song's case, he can play in central midfield. But can he play 60 games there? I am not convinced."

He already said he wants to sort out the defensive problem.We got Gallas Toure Senderos Djourou alreadySounds like he wants to have Song involved in that as well.Doesn't look too good for the swiss pair.Not gonna lie I thought Song was sh*t 2/3 years ago.But done okay from when he went on loan.Prefer Song in midfield anyway

Guest Eduardo

I don't get this "prefer him in midfield" when he's never really played well there for us, whereas in the last few games of the season he was our best CB.Still I don't want him to be the answer to our defensive problems.

Let me rephrase.I would prefer to see him played in midfield because

I don't want him to be the answer to our defensive problems.
Also I reckon he could do well there similar to Flamini, but like I said in the other topic he should be tried in the pre-season to see how he does.If it works he should be backup for a better DM that is brought in...rather than Gilberto.

As a neutral I think his loan spell at Charlton changed him for the better. He looked SWAG before that.I remember him absolutely killing it in the second half for Charlton away at Watford. He was bare creative that day.I think Charlton were 2 or 3 down at half time, and came back and got a draw and he was the main man pulling the strings, came like Cesc.

Am happy for the dude..He impressed me in the ACON.I think he is better in Midfield. Not the solution. But a Plan B. A different player to flamini.Still some room for improvement but that will come with more game