Flamini - When I play you next you will Boo me

TF S4DK

MATHIEU FLAMINI would still be an Arsenal player if the club had offered him a new contract last summer.Instead the Gunners told him to prove he was worth a better deal — and a few months later found themselves battling with Europe’s biggest clubs in a futile bid to keep him.French midfielder Flamini today gives his first full interview since ditching the Londoners for Italian side AC Milan and tells SunSport he:Joined Milan because he reckons they are one of the two biggest clubs in the world, NOT because of the money.Felt Gunners boss Arsene Wenger was wrong to accuse him of being greedy.Flamini, 24, said: “If Arsenal had offered me a contract last summer I would still be their player now.“Last July I told Arsenal I wanted to extend my contract so, of course, I would have signed if they had offered me a deal . . . but they didn’t.“They said they wanted me to prove myself first.“It was difficult for me at the beginning. I had to see it as a challenge but I won’t lie, it was not easy. You have to be mentally very strong to cope.”To his credit, the French international knuckled down and played his heart out.He added: “If I had a serious injury my future would have been in question as I was out of contract. But, touch wood, I don’t want to think about these things and, thankfully, I played well and I can be proud of what I achieved.”By the time Arsenal made an offer they were competing with Milan, Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Inter and Juventus who were all desperate to sign Flamini.Yet the midfielder was so determined to stay at Arsenal — even after receiving huge offers from Europe’s big hitters — that he was prepared to wait until the last minute to reach a deal.He added: “We started to speak in December but I knew it was a huge decision. At that time we were playing every three days. I didn’t want to think too much about that because I wanted to focus on my performances.“It was difficult for me as I started to have offers from big clubs.”You could see the disappointment in Flamini’s eyes when the conversation inevitably turned to Wenger’s comments.The Emirates chief claimed that Flamini joined AC for the money and the Italians had no values.Flamini said: “I’ve enormous respect for Arsene Wenger. But I did not leave for the money.“It is not true. I don’t want to comment about what he said or how I felt when I read his comments.“But I will say I’m leaving for Milan because it’s one of the biggest clubs in the world — with millions of fans everywhere, an enormous history and one of the biggest trophy cabinets in the world.“Milan are in the Champions League final every couple of years. Arsenal are a big club too and they have ambition.“But I chose to go to Milan. If you think it was easy for me to leave Arsenal you couldn’t be more wrong.“Until the last moment I couldn’t make my mind up.“It breaks your heart to see all these people wanting you to stay. Even on the last day after the Everton game they were not sure I was going to leave because even I was not sure. Then after I passed my medical at Milan I went to see Arsene. It was emotional but he accepted my decision.“Those who say I left for the money should think that I signed as a 20-year-old and I left with the same salary I had when I came to Arsenal.“If money was the reason I played for Arsenal, then why did I play for four years with the same contract?”He added: “I had the chance to go to some of the biggest clubs in Europe. Even if I stayed at Arsenal I’d still have earned a lot of money.“I took my decision based on what I wanted for the future. Milan is the most decorated club in the world, along with Real Madrid.“I’m half-Italian and it was an opportunity to go back to my roots. My father Roland is the proudest person in the world that I’ve finally gone to Italy.”Fellow midfielder Alex Hleb looks ready to follow Flamini out of the Arsenal exit door.And should that happen there will be questions about the future of Cesc Fabregas.But Flamini added: “I honestly don’t know what will happen with Cesc or Alex.“My team-mates knew I had a decision to make and respected it. They know one day they may have to make a decision themselves.”
Cesc so upsetCESC FABREGAS made a desperate last-gasp bid to convince Mathieu Flamini to stay at Arsenal.Flamini revealed he had told close pal Fabregas of his decision to leave for Milan — but the Spanish star was having none of it.He said: “Cesc was trying hard to make me change my mind. We have a great partnership on the pitch and are friends off it.“My team-mates wanted me to stay. They have been amazing that’s why I will never forget them.”Midfield ace Flamini also revealed he snubbed a huge offer from a top ENGLISH club because of his love for Arsenal.He added: “Some people say I left for money but I could have joined an English club who offered me much more than Arsenal.“But I decided against it out of my respect and bond with the club.”

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MATHIEU FLAMINI would still be an Arsenal player if the club had offered him a new contract last summer.Instead the Gunners told him to prove he was worth a better deal
Was a good decision by us imo.Don't understand this rubbish of "if they offered a good deal last season I would've stayed", he was only a squad player last year, he broke into the team at the heart of it and was being considered by many as the next captain. So the deal we offered now is 100x better than the one he would've signed last year to stay on so i just don't understand why he chose to leave if he wanted to stay.He suprised many and probably himself with this season he's had so he could do what he wants.Good luck to him though in CL or Uefa cup, with the latter being more likely.

Dont think it was as easy as that.He asked for a extension WHEN he had one year left and was a bit part player , wasnt a important member of the team.Wenger said prove yourself, he did.We offered him a contract, he stalled. Milan offered him a contract. It was pretty hard to predict he would become such a important player for us. I wouldnt blame this on the board..

Guest Sho Case

where's that flamini topic where everybody was telling TF flamini chose AC cause they are a bigger club for a few reasons& TF wasn't havingSTILL

Guest Sho Case

fair enough now you are admitting that it is your opinion because of who you supportsimilar to the way rsonist talks about spurs in numerous discussion concerning arsenalso kind of blind loyalty but you've highlighted it, so not so much blindbut deep down you know who's the bigger club but don't need to say itcool

fair enough now you are admitting that it is your opinion because of who you supportsimilar to the way rsonist talks about spurs in numerous discussion concerning arsenalso kind of blind loyalty but you've highlighted it, so not so much blindbut deep down you know who's the bigger club but don't need to say itcool
IMO Arsenal are the only team that counts. Cos thats my team.Soooooooooooooooo to me when people talk about lure of other clubs, I dont agree it as Arsenal is the only club that lure's me. While I obviously understand its different for players I'll never agree with their decision, but I will just accept it as life and Arsenal Football Club goes on.I can say Milan are a big team yes, I can say Milan are a elite team yes, a club steeped in prestige yes. I can not however say Milan are a bigger team than Arsenal... Cos to me they never will be in my life. If I lived in Italy and had been to The San Siro and watched them for years then maybe but I dont.My issue with Rsonist isn't his blind loyalty to Tottenham, far from it, its more him thinking because of it he cant give props when props are due. Like I can say Milan are a big team, Rsonist cant say Adebayor is a big player. To sum it up, the other day he said "I'll only rate Theo when he scores the winning goal in the World Cup Final, until then no way" - Now to me thats gay, cos part of football is appreciation for other players even if they play for the enemy, as players change, clubs dont, well unless they MK Dons.

Milan will never be a bigger club than Arsenal ever IMO as I support Arsenal & am a fan.
That is just being dumb though
So's supporting your team and rarely having a good word to say "board messed up" SMH, but hey different strokes for different folks.

Milan will never be a bigger club than Arsenal ever IMO as I support Arsenal & am a fan.
So's supporting your team and rarely having a good word to say "board messed up" SMH, but hey different strokes for different folks.
When you aint won a trophy for 3 years I cant think of many good things to say tbh

When you aint won a trophy for 3 years I cant think of many good things to say tbh
LMAO. SMH. Dont even need to say a word. Seriously.

Guest Sho Case

LOLtotally different fulham & QPR are rival clubs as they are part of west londonmilan & arsenal are connected in what way other than in this topic?also,rsonist saying he can't rate walcott til he scores in a world cup final is as bad as saying you wont say a club is bigger than arsenal cause you support thembut i'm not even looking to change the discussion of this topicwe know the deally,really& don't get it twisted if i was an arsenal player,i would never want to leave

LOLtotally different fulham & QPR are rival clubs as they are part of west londonmilan & arsenal are connected in what way other than in this topic?also,rsonist saying he can't rate walcott til he scores in a world cup final is as bad as saying you wont say a club is bigger than arsenal cause you support thembut i'm not even looking to change the discussion of this topicwe know the deally,really& don't get it twisted if i was an arsenal player,i would never want to leave
Maybe but I wanted to highlight something.Milan and Arsenal are rivals in that they yearly compete in the Champions League, I personally do not see Milan as a bigger club, and like I said in the other topic certain Arsenal fans have inferior complexs & if they feel this way they cant complain when any Arsenal player seeks a move to a "bigger team" cos your co-signing it in thinking that way. But each to their own, we fight them on the same playing field year to year, I mean we are in the Champions League next year, can the same be said for them yet? I just think sometimes people forget they support Arsenal Football Club.Why am I going to say a team is bigger than Arsenal when to ME they aint. No club is. Dunno if you lot go to games, how long you been going to games, but like I've said on here before the Arsenal belief is we are the best.

Milan and Arsenal are rivals in that they yearly compete in the Champions League, I personally do not see Milan as a bigger club
Big up Sunderland. Cos they are rivals with Manchester United in that they yearly compete in the Premiership, and therefor Man Utd are not a bigger club.looooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Milan and Arsenal are rivals in that they yearly compete in the Champions League, I personally do not see Milan as a bigger club
Big up Sunderland. Cos they are rivals with Manchester United in that they yearly compete in the Premiership, and therefor Man Utd are not a bigger club.looooooooooooooooooooooooooool
You got him there lol

Yeah cos Sunderland are in the Prem year to year competing with Man Utd, use your brain.Top 8 clubs in Europe based on Champions League performances over the last 5 years - AC Milan, Barcelona, Liverpool, Inter Milan, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Chelsea and Manchester United.If you can tell me Sunderland would be in the top 5 of the Prem over the years then you might have a point, but you wont be able too, so you dont.