Interview with Dr Dre's ex-Robin

Numero001

PropsVery big interview. One of the best hiphop ones I have read in a while.Alot of quotes and valid points made there in regards to Detox and Rakim collabo break down.I also found the 50 vs Game beef interesting as well. LOL @ al sharpton hustling these mans SMH

BW: When I say Dre’s not a businessman, I say that because he’s a producer and a man that loves music. Dre loves the studio. He didn’t want to do anything else. He’s outgrown Hip Hop. I’ve got ideas that he had of blending Opera and Hip Hop together that’s phenomenal. At one time he wanted to make an instrumental album about how the planets sound. He really wants to be known for something more than just Hip Hop music. He wants to be studied by professors on his music. Since he has started to play guitar and learn to read music, it showed him an entirely different world.
I have to agree with this quoteI feel like he as out grown hiphop and this hiphop generation will never appreciate detox regardless of how sick it is. I heard about this orchestra ting time ago. I was really looking foward to it. The guy is a genius this is why I feel like he is the best hiphop producer ever. Hiphops Quincy jones.I also feel like Mel man is the missing link in that camp. Dre needs that guy back in his life. But I know it wont happen.I am definitely gonna cop this guys book tho.. Interview was a good read.

That clip is legendary. If that happened today, it would be so orchestrated. Man went to the East Coast and was cussin like they in theyre own drum lol. To this day, I have nuff respect for Suge on the G side of things

PropsVery big interview. One of the best hiphop ones I have read in a while.Alot of quotes and valid points made there in regards to Detox and Rakim collabo break down.I also found the 50 vs Game beef interesting as well. LOL @ al sharpton hustling these mans SMH
BW: When I say Dre’s not a businessman, I say that because he’s a producer and a man that loves music. Dre loves the studio. He didn’t want to do anything else. He’s outgrown Hip Hop. I’ve got ideas that he had of blending Opera and Hip Hop together that’s phenomenal. At one time he wanted to make an instrumental album about how the planets sound. He really wants to be known for something more than just Hip Hop music. He wants to be studied by professors on his music. Since he has started to play guitar and learn to read music, it showed him an entirely different world.
I have to agree with this quoteI feel like he as out grown hiphop and this hiphop generation will never appreciate detox regardless of how sick it is. I heard about this orchestra ting time ago. I was really looking foward to it. The guy is a genius this is why I feel like he is the best hiphop producer ever. Hiphops Quincy jones.I also feel like Mel man is the missing link in that camp. Dre needs that guy back in his life. But I know it wont happen.I am definitely gonna cop this guys book tho.. Interview was a good read.
Just read it all and that was a sick interview. A proper interview. Have to c/s the Detox point he made. These fans nowadays dont appreciate sh*t, they'll hear what songs stand-out, single those out for the iPod and delete the rest rather than appreciate the whole collection. If it doesnt knock from beginning to end then it will be sh*t. Infact, I feel that when he released 2001, that was the last generation of rap fans that would have appreciated it.True about the label Aftermath and people not knowing the name.LOL @ Al Sharpton demanding half a mil.A good insight into one of the most interesting time periods and more importantly, one of the most important and controversial labels in the History of HH!p.s. Jimmy Iovine is gangsterI asked Jimmy what he would do if one of the Interscope staff had talked to him like that.‘I’d give him a raise,’ Jimmy said.‘Give him a raise?’ I asked out of confusion.‘Yes, a big raise and then I’d encourage him to buy a big house. Then after he was fully committed financially, I’d demote him.I was starting to get the picture.‘Because after that,’ Jimmy continued, ‘his family life would be f*cked up.

DX: How did you meet Suge Knight?BW: Me and Dre has been rolling for a month or so before I even met Suge. We was in this nightclub and all of sudden I’m standing next to Suge, and this guy walks up with a gun and pointed it at him. My instincts had me talking to the dude – trying to calm him down - and next thing I know the gun is on me. We made a couple movements and dude dropped the gun. I picked the gun up and passed it off to Sam Sneed.
Straight madness lol
DX: What was it like being in the studio with everyone on Death Row back in the day?BW: The first day I stepped in the studio and saw everyone work was phenomenal man. Just imagine this: Dre’s going to be the first one in the studio and the last one to leave. He’ll start messing with a beat. As the beat starts pumping, the guys start filtering in. Everybody will get their little drink and smoke in. Soon enough the beat starts to make a presence. You’ll look around the room and every cat that was a rapper – from Kurupt to Daz to Snoop – will grab a pen. They would start writing while Dre is making a beat so by the time he’s finished with the beat, they are ready to hit the booth and start spittin'. To see those young cats – they were all hungry and wanted to make something dope. The atmosphere that was there, you couldn’t be wack.
Must've been siiiick
DX: As a centerpiece in this beef, was Tupac the man that was portrayed in the media?BW: 'Pac was a real level-headed dude. You could talk to him about everything. The only thing about 'Pac that was f*cked up was that he had too many “yes” men. He had nobody to pull his coat and say, “We’ve clowned enough, let’s move on.” 'Pac was going to be a politician. He would rap on wack beats and make them dope. You listened to 'Pac to see what he said. How many rappers do you really listen to what he has to say. Like Eminem. Nobody really listened for his music. They want to hear what he’s got to say.
DX: There have been numerous rumors about Dre not producing his own music. You were there when some of the greatest songs in Hip Hop were made. What’s the real deal?BW: Dre is a hell of a producer and a mixer. A cat could do a couple of sounds inside of a beat and Dre could come and change the whole thing around and make it sound phenomenal.
Just some quotes from the interview for those still not convinced by the replies that its a sick interview