Xabi Alonso to Juve (SMH)

MEIRELES.

Xabi Alonso’s agent has revealed it is Liverpool, not the midfielder, who are the driving force behind the Spaniard’s potential move to Juventus.Alonso’s name has become increasingly linked with a £16 million move to Turin and agent Inaki Ibanez met the club’s officials on Wednesday.It appears Liverpool are ready to part with the pass-master in order to fund moves for Gareth Barry and Ruben de la Red.If the move happens, it will do so against Alonso’s will according to his agent, who insists it his understanding that Liverpool want the deal to go through.“I have a clear idea, namely Liverpool would like to sell,” Ibanez said in The Liverpool Echo.The former Real Sociedad starlet will now seek discussions with Benitez over his future on Merseyside, and Ibanez revealed he does not expect any transfer to be completed until after Euro 2008.“First we must speak with Rafa Benitez,” he said. Then we’ll decide after the European Championships.”
What the hell is going on.Anyhow he sells AlonsoWe bidded £9m for Albert Riera the Man City flop? SMFH.Not a good look AT ALL

Rafa must be confident Barry will sign then?
he must be.Thinking long term it would not be that bad if we sign Barry and sell alonso.As much as I like Alonso, he has been sub-par for the past 2 seasons.I hear that Rafa is also thinking of the whole 6-5 rule that might come into play.Ultimately I would rather keep Alonso, but Barry offers more balance to the team and clicks with Stevie G alot.

The Barry deal is 60/40 he's staying.ITK's seem to think he's come round to the idea of staying after initially being flattered, his comments today were VERY positive about his own future, and he was talking about how its important for Gabby and Ashley to get England minutes for Villa.He's talking for the long term, the deal is DEFINITELY nowhere near done, and the local media are now reporting that O'Neill was telling the truth and he seriously hasn't spoken about Barry for more than two minutes with Rafa Be-neath-uz.If he gets the England captaincy on Wed, I'd expect him to stay.Barrys also talking as if he won't ask to leave, so if Liverpool cannot match our valuation (O'Neill thinks hes unsellable, but would sell him if the player didnt want to be here).So unless Liverpool can stump up £18million in cash, or £12million and a player O'Neill genuinlely wants and Barry asks to leave during the second round of talks he aint going anywhere.

The interview seems to suggest he is unsettled and possibly pushing for a moveHe hardly said he wants to stayThink you will get 16million soon though

The time where he unlocked a defences was in his first season against Sunderland,West Brom and Norwich that's not good enough his passing against Chelsea was League 1 standard losing the ball even when he made short non adventurous passes.I think Lucas is a more effective passer long range and short range. Xabi doesn't even have that amazing vision he has nor does he seem to have his basic game now days and the fact he seems to be muscled out of the ball much more recently he doesn't win enough tackles either.I love Alonso and he is the most gifted player in our squad but being gifted doesn't mean you should be treated the same as a consistent player this Alonso isn't consistent.Lucas could eclipse peoples memories of him his passing against Newcastle and Bolton where similar to the Alonso of his first season and he is a much better tackler and has more tenacity.Which is what people don't seem to want to think when its Barry I know for a fact had he been more continental more people would be for this signing.Man Utd had RVN he was their best striker but he had declined physically and they where adopting a new formation where he wouldn't fit Ferguson slowly but surely started giving him less games and in the end sold him. This is a similar situation a player might be class but if he doesn't fit what the manager is looking at or isn't a clog in the machine the gaffer is trying to build the manager looks elsewhere which is the case here.Man utd with out RVN a more fast,unpredictable and dynamic side.With him they where more predictable and didn't have similar break aways.Also Ronaldo was a provider for Van Nistlerooy when he left he had more freedom and less responsibility on assisting.Xabi was great in a 4-4-2 doesn't mean he fits in the current formation or that Rafa sees him in the current team.Barry is more versatile and delivers more often goals and assists.Dictating tempo isn't a part of the Premier League success criteria who really dictates the tempo in this league Carrick and probably Huddlestone look at the Chelsea team that won back to back titles they had several clogs that made a consistent and mechanic side that churned out results. Which is what Rafa is trying to build and Barry could be that.Dictating the tempo is more a European thing its important in the Champions League unless we should keep Xabi for those 9 games only I don't see the point in him staying in the side any longer.His situation reminds me of Veron at Utd he was ideal for Europe but too slow for the League games.
My post on another forum

I guess it depends how you want to interpret it, but;

Barry added: "Any sort of interest by a big club is flattering but I am still an Aston Villa player, I've got two years left of my contract and until some sort of bid is accepted, or the manager tells me otherwise, there is no decision to make.
is positive for us IMO.that aint gonna happenthats only gonna happen if he pushes for a move

You lot will probably attempt to dead me for this but...Remember back when Gerrard was a midfielder enforcer, well since he has been moved into the second striker position we have lacked the dominance in the center of the park. Sure we have Mascherano but its obvious he doesnt have the forward drive to fill the void that Gerrard used to in the midfield position.Now obviously I, like any Liverpool fan am a massive fan of Xabi Alonso and his passing is top notch, but Ive,never seen him grab the ball and drive it forward in the way Mr Liverpool used to. We have missed that drive this season in the middle and I think the manager has identified that. The thing is its probably easier (And cheaper) to find an effective midfielder than it is to find a quality forward so Rafa is probably thinking in this way.Ok, undoubtably there isnt a player on the planet that can fill the void of Gerrard in the middle but what Im thinking is that its easier to find a player with midfield drive than it would be to find a goalscorer for under 15 million.Now having seen some of Gareth Barry's performances it seems kinda clear to me (Though Im not his biggest fan) that he does have a certain amount of midfield drive that Liverpool do lack with Gerrard playing up front.Thinking it like this, maybe Barry isnt the worst buy in the world, infact Im struggling to think of a semi offensive midfielder that can tackle well and work well defensively that would be readily available. Sure there are great attacking midfielders around but for the balance of the Liverpool style of play can you see any of the top notch attacking midfielders working well with their backs to the wall like Liverpool midfielders of the Rafa era have needed to do on occasion.With that I think Im coming round to the Rafa way of thinking in attem pting to bring Barry to the club.In short...In Rafa we trust!

Not backing this transfer at all. Alonso is class but hasn't performed consistently well for a while so I can see why some people think it makes sense. But he is a player who is most effective when he's got players making clever runs in behind. with natural wide players I think he would be affective again.As recent as 2 weeks ago Rafa said he didn't wanna sell him and Xabi has said repeatedly he doesn't wanna go so I'm desperately desperately hoping he doesn't go.

LOL @ selling Alonso and replacing him with BarryJust lmaoRafa has done it againBut wait..It gets worseWord is he bid €12m on Albert RieralmaoIn Rafa we trust
WTF is your point you cretinLiverpool fans say Alonso has been sh*t for 2 yearswhat the f*ck do you know?

Alonso has been pie this season, only good game was probs chelsea away cl semi 2nd leg.Sick tekkers thoLOL @ People slewing Riera, been one of espanyols best players think he got called up to spain squad aswell
Riera did but he got omitted from the squad for the euros. good player though i dont know why he isnt rated more highly. His goal on spain debut >>>>>>>>>

LOL @ selling Alonso and replacing him with BarryJust lmaoRafa has done it againBut wait..It gets worseWord is he bid €12m on Albert RieralmaoIn Rafa we trust
WTF is your point you cretinLiverpool fans say Alonso has been sh*t for 2 yearswhat the f*ck do you know?
What makes him less in the know than you?Not even sending, how many games have you attended two in the last 2 years that havent been on TV?Because thats probably the only advantage you have over Anelka to make that judgementYour teams on TV alot throughout the season, people will pass judgement on your players.