Academic Thread

Yoshie

Looks as if I'm on a 2:1 in my 2nd year, not bad considering the trouble I went through for most of it.

Not fun for the next year two years having to write and come up with 4 original scripts (one 30 minute, one as a group collaboration, a film length piece and one for my final year project instead of a dissertation).

Two more years to go.

• 5 weeks later...

Considering going back to education,finished my college course in 2011 last year..I don't know what to study at university...I think it's best to do it while I'm young I will be 20 next year and graduate when I'm 23...I've been lazy for a while just working dead end retail low paying jobs

I do not want to be stuck doing retail for life been doing it since I was 16 and it definately ain't for me

why are guys wasting their time and money on a masters, especially in IT.

unless youve really researched the career routeway you wanna take,

and then looked for job descriptions of those roles and seen "must have a masters" as an essential criteria

its really a waste of money. might as well do short n sweet courses that give you hands on experience for a fraction of a masters cost

Congrats all those who graduated this year.

I got a 2:1 but I wasn't happy with my performance in my final year so wasn't really happy with the result. Taking off half a year to work on some personal projects and will possibly go into the next round of grad recruitment depending on how well my projects get on.

/

A masters makes sense if people wanna switch general fields (from science to engineering, etc), or get into academia, but yeah, in many cases it doesn't make sense.

/

lol, Ryder you chose the worst year to consider getting into higher education, most fees have just tripled. but yeah, apprenticeships are something you should definitely look into - seems/or seemed to be one of the main focuses of every other political discussion on education this year so I assume there's money getting pushed into such programmes

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chelsea Jack

Decided to apply through clearing last minute on UCAS

Going to City University London to study Criminology & Sociology. I start next month.

Due to me killing hours daily on here, Im cutting this forum off.

Peace peeps. :Y:

you'll be back mate

Guest Chelsea Jack

Did any of you do placement years (sandwich courses)?

Was looking at leaving mine and not doing it but using that year to completing a masters.

Personally I think a degree is worthless and envy people that have gone into the job market at a young age and progressed through experience.

Too many clever people with high marks have been out of work that I know off and it's quite demotivating knowing you're not as clever as them but you could be in a worse situation.

My focus of attention is 50/50 at the minute it really is - should I progress with my business or go for "£40k" debt for a black hat and a piece of paper.

In reality I'm more disappointed with myself that I have put education before things I've wanted to do such as have a kid and travel across the world etc

Who knows that sh*t may still happen but I don't want it to happen too late in my life.

:rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...