Academic Thread

Yoshie

If I get AAA at AS I'll apply for Oxford, Bristol, Imperial.UCL, Brunel, and Queen Mary's are lower ones I'm considering.Actually I'm quite interested in UCL for their 4 year masters course with a year abroad, I could end up at Columbia University in New York for a year, and that's an Ivy League uni so you know it's good.

Never booked any open days. Visited a few already when seeing friends, and most are fully booked now, so I've missed out.Looking to go LSE, Oxbridge, Bristol, UCL or Leeds/Manchester (1 of the 2).
For real? What you looking to study?
Economics.
Good luck mate. Just finished my finals at LSE. So f*ck*ng glad to be done with all this.*burns notes*

Anyone studying / studied Maths?What's a good place to go for?I know I can see on the times guide but I want an opinion on people that done it..
I'm now at the end of a B.Sc. in Maths at University of Birmingham. Didn't like it to be honest. Firstly, ignore the guides that go into individual subjects because no employer looks at those. They're never gonna be like "Well they're 50th overall but they're 10th for Maths". Also try to avoid universities that score extremely highly for research in your subject. They tend to just get in ridiculously clever mathematicians from around the world to do research and ignore the fact that they can barely speak English or cannot teach for sh*t. Bad lecturers do automatically mean bad grades when the subject matter is that complicated.Can't really recommend anywhere as I wouldn't recommend my uni. Half the time the tables mean f*ck all coz they're mostly done on student satisfaction surveys and who is going to cheapen their degree by writing that the uni is shite... Even if it's true (as it is in my case).

Roehampton's my firm. Kingston my insurance. Been to both. My tour guide was sh*t at kingston. Put a downer on my view of the place lol. Im gonna do Criminology with/and Psychology..... course title varies depending on wot uni i go to, but i prefer to do 'WITH' psychology.
No offence, but, what is actually the point of doing a criminology degree at roehampton?You're better off getting a job at 18.
Cosign. People cry when you say it though.

Say for example you dont get the full amount of UCAS points for your course, (like 20 points less - 260 for a 280 course) would the university still consider you?..Or is that when the whole long clearing process is done?
good question I too would like to know the answer to this if possible

Roehampton's my firm. Kingston my insurance. Been to both. My tour guide was sh*t at kingston. Put a downer on my view of the place lol. Im gonna do Criminology with/and Psychology..... course title varies depending on wot uni i go to, but i prefer to do 'WITH' psychology.
No offence, but, what is actually the point of doing a criminology degree at roehampton?You're better off getting a job at 18.
Cosign. People cry when you say it though.
If you're trying it, then this is different boss.

Say for example you dont get the full amount of UCAS points for your course, (like 20 points less - 260 for a 280 course) would the university still consider you?..Or is that when the whole long clearing process is done?
good question I too would like to know the answer to this if possible

Anyone studying / studied Maths?What's a good place to go for?I know I can see on the times guide but I want an opinion on people that done it..
I'm now at the end of a B.Sc. in Maths at University of Birmingham. Didn't like it to be honest. Firstly, ignore the guides that go into individual subjects because no employer looks at those. They're never gonna be like "Well they're 50th overall but they're 10th for Maths". Also try to avoid universities that score extremely highly for research in your subject. They tend to just get in ridiculously clever mathematicians from around the world to do research and ignore the fact that they can barely speak English or cannot teach for sh*t. Bad lecturers do automatically mean bad grades when the subject matter is that complicated.Can't really recommend anywhere as I wouldn't recommend my uni. Half the time the tables mean f*ck all coz they're mostly done on student satisfaction surveys and who is going to cheapen their degree by writing that the uni is shite... Even if it's true (as it is in my case).
You saying to do a subject aswell as Maths?Went in to talk to some teachers yesterday and they didn't reccomend it..

I'm now at the end of a B.Sc. in Maths at University of Birmingham. Didn't like it to be honest. Firstly, ignore the guides that go into individual subjects because no employer looks at those. They're never gonna be like "Well they're 50th overall but they're 10th for Maths". Also try to avoid universities that score extremely highly for research in your subject. They tend to just get in ridiculously clever mathematicians from around the world to do research and ignore the fact that they can barely speak English or cannot teach for sh*t. Bad lecturers do automatically mean bad grades when the subject matter is that complicated.
So you're saying don't do PPE at Oxford, despite it having the best politics, philosophy and economics researchers in the country?

You saying to do a subject aswell as Maths?Went in to talk to some teachers yesterday and they didn't reccomend it..
Do mathematics straight.You have to be a PHENOM at maths to get into Oxbridge for that subject though. And I'm not talking strictly AA at maths and further maths. If you don't do further maths, forget maths at Oxbridge.

Some advice I'd like to shareOne close friend of mine, whilst I spent my summer in America last year, and just settled for the offers I did get, he decided to pursue his first choice (Leeds) after they'd rejected him.He spent a while on the phone to them, practically begging, has 3 GCSE's and a DDM at BTEC level, and was accepted as a result of his phonecall.Make of that what you will...