Academic Thread

Yoshie

Someone shed light on conditional offers please
Conditional offer = "you get a place if you get XXX grades" Simple.
I know but say like I got AAB, retake a module, and in the meantime I'm predicted AAA. Well I get a conditional for that?
That's just confusing the meaning of a conditional offer. A conditional offer is an offer based on conditions. You will get a conditional offer based on what your grades are/were at the time the university receives your UCAS form...no more, no less.

Some advice I'd like to shareOne close friend of mine, whilst I spent my summer in America last year, and just settled for the offers I did get, he decided to pursue his first choice (Leeds) after they'd rejected him.He spent a while on the phone to them, practically begging, has 3 GCSE's and a DDM at BTEC level, and was accepted as a result of his phonecall.Make of that what you will...
Yeah my brother continuously rang the Admission's Tutor in Manchester to let him in.

Anyone studying / studied Maths?What's a good place to go for?I know I can see on the times guide but I want an opinion on people that done it..
I'm now at the end of a B.Sc. in Maths at University of Birmingham. Didn't like it to be honest. Firstly, ignore the guides that go into individual subjects because no employer looks at those. They're never gonna be like "Well they're 50th overall but they're 10th for Maths". Also try to avoid universities that score extremely highly for research in your subject. They tend to just get in ridiculously clever mathematicians from around the world to do research and ignore the fact that they can barely speak English or cannot teach for sh*t. Bad lecturers do automatically mean bad grades when the subject matter is that complicated.
So you're saying don't do PPE at Oxford, despite it having the best politics, philosophy and economics researchers in the country?
Why are you jumping down my throat? I'm actually only speaking from a Mathematical point of view and it quite obviously doesn't apply to Oxbridge because it's f*ck*ng Oxbridge. If a uni is regarded as one of the best in the world then you're not gonna look at their individual marks on league tables! BUT I am saying that for the unis that you're not sure about, you should take that into account as it can seriously affect your degree.Yoshie, I'm definitely not saying do Maths with anything else, just saying I didn't like it. Have a look at the modules they offer. See how many modules have "theory" in the title. They're Pure modules and not only are they extremely boring but they're difficult as hell.

So whats wrong with roehampton? No one has actually said anything! I dont know of anyone who goes there, so if someone can shed some light on the situation, i would be most grateful. C'mon, help a sister out!
Roehampton is a Christian university (although not really overtly). Each college is split into different denominations e.g. Methodist. This may not be a problem for you if you're religious, but campus life seems quite dry.There is a stupid ratio where there are a lot more girls than guys.There is an ACS club, but I never joined it (not that it was bad, just never got round to it).I never lived on campus so bear in mind this could have had a negative effect on my campus experience.If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Some advice I'd like to shareOne close friend of mine, whilst I spent my summer in America last year, and just settled for the offers I did get, he decided to pursue his first choice (Leeds) after they'd rejected him.He spent a while on the phone to them, practically begging, has 3 GCSE's and a DDM at BTEC level, and was accepted as a result of his phonecall.Make of that what you will...
Yeah my brother continuously rang the Admission's Tutor in Manchester to let him in.
I actually got my place doing Maths via clearing. I was supposed to be doing MES (which in hindsight would have been a f*ck*ng nightmare) but I needed an A in Maths. Should have been a breeze but I didn't retake one of my AS modules coz I just forgot I wanted to. Ended up one mark shy of my A and they let me waste 6 hours calling while the guy hid in his office and refused to take calls. Got rejected and ended up ironically doing Maths at the same uni.Everything happens for a reason because MES is a ridiculously hard course and very very few of the people get upper seconds at my uni.

"Departments must initiate CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) screening in respect of candidates selected for posts where there is a requirement to work with young people under the age of 18 or with vulnerable adults."ANYONE ON HERE STUDIED JOURNALISM/ A JOURNALIST/ WANTING TO BE ONE?I heard Bournemouth is the best for Journalism but I also heard don't really need to go Uni. Anyone here got any contacts?

"Departments must initiate CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) screening in respect of candidates selected for posts where there is a requirement to work with young people under the age of 18 or with vulnerable adults."ANYONE ON HERE STUDIED JOURNALISM/ A JOURNALIST/ WANTING TO BE ONE?I heard Bournemouth is the best for Journalism but I also heard don't really need to go Uni. Anyone here got any contacts?
Dunno what type of journalism you wanna do but the BBC and Daily Telegraph and people don't give a f*ck about people with journalism degrees, they recruit English and History etc. graduates from Oxford and Cambridge and them type of places.

whos going westminster UNI? i might be goin but if i get better grades then i expected i will ring around see what others are saying. i had conditionals at Leeds and Exeter but my Queen marys back up didn't come through, and what if i don't get AAB (which is very likely), and both exdter and leeds tell me to f*ck off, I NEED to be in uni next year so i put down Westminster who want BBC for English lit. Question : Is it easy to switch UNIs after first year of English Lit, say u do really well in that first year and u want to go somewhere else. how does this work?

I'm pretty sure I've been a bit too late with open days, or a bit too short. I've missed the Queen Mary's one but I'm still gonna go to the campus tour in September. I probably should have went to the Reading one on Friday but I though 'llow it 'cause I had just finished my exams. Only have UCL and Imperial booked for 25/26th, and can't book nothing for 27/28th because my dad's birthday is on the 28th and I need to help set up stuff. Most of the main unis I wanna check out are on those 4 days.