Academic Thread

Yoshie

What I am curious about though, did anyone have a serious idea of the grade they were getting after finishing second year, but when it came to final year, it just changed drastically?I know the workload increses, as does the difficulty, but is it that different? Were people on 2:1s or 1sts, but then got to third year and the grade dropped to a 3rd/2:2 respectively?Right now I'm on a good comfortable 2:1, and am aiming for a 1st which is very possible. Just need to prepare myself mentally as much as possible for the knuckling down.
I'm not sure. Perhaps it depends on the university. With my one they determine your final grade by looking at your best 200 credits from the second and third year (normally you do 120 each year).Also, with the final year, you usually do a dissertation which accounts for a lot of credits. If you screw that up, then you could potentially affect your final grade.Titan, you say that you do communications and you did a placement at a PR company. How do you find your course? I think deep down I'm interested in that kind of thing but I'm a social anthropology/ cultural studies student. I think the degree could be useful but the course does not provide any info on business practice.

What I am curious about though, did anyone have a serious idea of the grade they were getting after finishing second year, but when it came to final year, it just changed drastically?I know the workload increses, as does the difficulty, but is it that different? Were people on 2:1s or 1sts, but then got to third year and the grade dropped to a 3rd/2:2 respectively?Right now I'm on a good comfortable 2:1, and am aiming for a 1st which is very possible. Just need to prepare myself mentally as much as possible for the knuckling down.
I'm not sure. Perhaps it depends on the university. With my one they determine your final grade by looking at your best 200 credits from the second and third year (normally you do 120 each year).Also, with the final year, you usually do a dissertation which accounts for a lot of credits. If you screw that up, then you could potentially affect your final grade.Titan, you say that you do communications and you did a placement at a PR company. How do you find your course? I think deep down I'm interested in that kind of thing but I'm a social anthropology/ cultural studies student. I think the degree could be useful but the course does not provide any info on business practice.
I'm still at my placement, thought it's only 2 days a week now. In regards to my course, I enjoy my course, well most of it. However, I found that it is mostly theory and only one module actually looked at real world applications, in this case PR, which I'm happy for because it helped me make the most of this placement.What I would say to you is if you have good communication skills (don't have to be excellent, just be able to be polite, friendly, able to build a rapport quickly, and talk and write clearly) and are willing to learn and grind, you could easily get into PR. I working at my cousin (who I only found out in 2006 that she went to Cov Uni and did exactly the same course as me) and her friend's company that they set up, and I'm learning a lot from them. Just yesterday they were speaking to someone's friend that came into the office about getting into PR and just telling them that you don't need a degree, but certain qualities and an understanding that it's not always going out, a lot of it is office work.If you are willing to, just try and get an placement and say you are interested and hope by getting the placement that you can learn more about PR. Good luck if you are going down that road as well. Another thing I'm happy about is that I've got a lot of good advice from people here about where to go after graduation and how to tackle sh*t, as well as links. I've got one almost solid link to work in Foreign Exchange (assuming they like my CV and they give me an interenship after passing an interview) and potentially another. And seeing as I'm interested in the Financial Services, I'm going to grind my arse off to try and get those internships.Gray Fox, thanks familia.PS: Jo Dark, I'm sure I read you went Roehampton. If you have just graduated, I may just know some people that know you. What ends you from?

I'm still at my placement, thought it's only 2 days a week now. In regards to my course, I enjoy my course, well most of it. However, I found that it is mostly theory and only one module actually looked at real world applications, in this case PR, which I'm happy for because it helped me make the most of this placement.What I would say to you is if you have good communication skills (don't have to be excellent, just be able to be polite, friendly, able to build a rapport quickly, and talk and write clearly) and are willing to learn and grind, you could easily get into PR. I working at my cousin (who I only found out in 2006 that she went to Cov Uni and did exactly the same course as me) and her friend's company that they set up, and I'm learning a lot from them. Just yesterday they were speaking to someone's friend that came into the office about getting into PR and just telling them that you don't need a degree, but certain qualities and an understanding that it's not always going out, a lot of it is office work.If you are willing to, just try and get an placement and say you are interested and hope by getting the placement that you can learn more about PR. Good luck if you are going down that road as well. Another thing I'm happy about is that I've got a lot of good advice from people here about where to go after graduation and how to tackle sh*t, as well as links. I've got one almost solid link to work in Foreign Exchange (assuming they like my CV and they give me an interenship after passing an interview) and potentially another. And seeing as I'm interested in the Financial Services, I'm going to grind my arse off to try and get those internships.Gray Fox, thanks familia.PS: Jo Dark, I'm sure I read you went Roehampton. If you have just graduated, I may just know some people that know you. What ends you from?
Lol, believe me, nobody would know me! I just went in and out of Roehampton and hardly spoke to anyone. But I'm from the south-west area and I was in the social sciences/ media area (courses described in the previous post), and I am graduating this year.Thanks for your advice. My degree is one of those tricky ones where it can applied to loads of jobs, but not really to a specific trade, so it's good to get as much advice as possible. Tbh, I'm not even fully sure what I want to do yet. I will look into it (PR/ communications) and possibly ask more questions if necessary (thanks in advance).That's good that you've utilised your links at uni. With the way graduate schemes are so competitive now, it's useful to know people irl to get the job that you want.

I see. Well, a couple peeps I went college with are graduating, and a few others I know.The links I have aren't from uni, but instead from people I met on my placement. One guy at my uni studying financial maths gave me some advice as well.But yeah, PR is kinda hard to explain or find a proper explanation for it. I kinda just got here and learnt. There are also a number of different type of PR.Good Luck with it, and feel free to fire questions at me any time.

I see. Well, a couple peeps I went college with are graduating, and a few others I know.The links I have aren't from uni, but instead from people I met on my placement. One guy at my uni studying financial maths gave me some advice as well.But yeah, PR is kinda hard to explain or find a proper explanation for it. I kinda just got here and learnt. There are also a number of different type of PR.Good Luck with it, and feel free to fire questions at me any time.
Thanks again.Did any of your friends do cultural studies? Because I would be more likely to know them from that than anthropology.Industrial placements are the way to go. You get solid work experience (which is becoming essential).Good luck with your quest as well.

Thanks again.Did any of your friends do cultural studies? Because I would be more likely to know them from that than anthropology.Industrial placements are the way to go. You get solid work experience (which is becoming essential).Good luck with your quest as well.
Nah. Other social sciences.

I honestly have NO f*ck*ng CLUE about all this and I'm beginning to look into it but how much do re-takes come into the Uni's decision to accept you.Say if you originally got 3 C's at AS and then retook them all in A2 and came out with all A'sWill they frown upon this a lot?

I honestly have NO f*ck*ng CLUE about all this and I'm beginning to look into it but how much do re-takes come into the Uni's decision to accept you.Say if you originally got 3 C's at AS and then retook them all in A2 and came out with all A'sWill they frown upon this a lot?
Why would they frown upon you getting far better grades? It just makes reaching your conditional offer that much easier.

Why would they frown upon you getting far better grades? It just makes reaching your conditional offer that much easier.
Because last year I got kicked out of 6th form AS for poor gradesThen I done 1st AS' and got satisfactory grades but nothing great like C's and If I retake again in my A2 but get A's it would be my 3rd go.Surely that's more negative than positive

Whats Kingston University saying??Any good?
I don't get why people ask questions like this.In terms of is it any good then no, in comparison to what would generally be described as good universities in terms of academic qualifications and post-graduatoin prospects, its sh*t (no offence intended to anyone who goes there).If your idea of a good uni is getting to f*ck chicks and see guys from the ends and not have to do much work then yeh, kingston is good.

Because last year I got kicked out of 6th form AS for poor gradesThen I done 1st AS' and got satisfactory grades but nothing great like C's and If I retake again in my A2 but get A's it would be my 3rd go.Surely that's more negative than positive
The way I read it, it sounded like you were saying if you got a conditional offer for 3 C's, they would frown if you got three A's. If they have given you a conditional offer, they are willing to take you in. Just aim to make that condition and that's all. If they frowned upon your grades, they wouldn't take you, which is reflected in the entry requirements.

If you need AAA for a uni, and you get AAB at AS and repeat the module in january and you're predicted an A for it. Can you get a conditional?
There's no strict structure for conditional offers. It depends how the uni feel about you and your personal statement etc but there's definitely no reason you couldn't. You don't necessarily have to get the conditional offer grades at AS. I didn't.
Really? I need to make a sick personal statement and find out about the interview process thanks
u are bein a d*ckhead thoughhis just askin a question, and its not even like its a stupid question.Jubezmost uni's work on a one grade lee-way systemmeaning that if u slip by one grade, most uni's will allow ubut if u missed yur required grade by more than that, thats when it gets abit greymind u, i said MOSTWarwick felt no way to dark me for a one grade slip
I'm not aiming as high as Warwick so that's alright then, where did u end up going?
university of leicester, its an alright uni, and i'm pretty sure i'm gonna get a 1st this yearbut the pissed part is, me and one boy both got accepted to LSE and warwick, i chose warwick and he went for LSE (same course) both had a one grade slip, but LSE allowed him.i use to sit up for time, thinking about the missed oppourtunitybut hey, thats life.

I don't get why people ask questions like this.In terms of is it any good then no, in comparison to what would generally be described as good universities in terms of academic qualifications and post-graduatoin prospects, its sh*t (no offence intended to anyone who goes there).If your idea of a good uni is getting to f*ck chicks and see guys from the ends and not have to do much work then yeh, kingston is good.
there are less offensive ways, u could of said that.Everyone has different standardsjust becuase it isn't as good as some of the other universities out there, doesn't mean its sh*t.it's not the best, but its not the worst either

there are less offensive ways, u could of said that.Everyone has different standardsjust becuase it isn't as good as some of the other universities out there, doesn't mean its sh*t.it's not the best, but its not the worst either
I was going to say that.I also think it's joke how people who aren't at uni, or at the uni in question can slate it so heavily. Not everyone requires the same merit as you, or need that same look on the paper so you hope an employer looks at you. Just worry about getting the necessary grades and work experience to progress in life. ANd count your fortunes for being able to choose unis at all. Some people would rather be on road wasting their lives away because they don't have no one but the devil pumping sh*t in their ear.

I know I keep saying it, but it doesn't matter what university you go to, it's what YOU make of it. We live in a capitalist Thatcherite society...you have to make your own way...No one on here should feel disheartened if they don't go to a top 10 uni...just focus at what you want and make the right moves. Don't let anybody tell you you can't do sh*t.

I know I keep saying it, but it doesn't matter what university you go to, it's what YOU make of it. We live in a capitalist Thatcherite society...you have to make your own way...No one on here should feel disheartened if they don't go to a top 10 uni...just focus at what you want and make the right moves. Don't let anybody tell you you can't do sh*t.
I agree.

I agree.
preach!can I get an amen?