Academic Thread

Yoshie

I'm about to finish. Well have one term left.

Want to go into substance misuse prevention or aid.

My family have just moved and they sort of need me to work, so I'm thinking of taking a year out and working and doing voluntary work in that sector and then moving south when I can afford it.

/

My other idea is to take a year out, save money and then do a MA in Health Economics. Birmingham does it for circa £5k. Does anyone have any experience with this? (I didn't do Economics at degree).

I slipped up baaaaaad this year.

6 weeks till exams, I'm learning 3/6 modules from the very start with no clue to what their content is, one of which is a whole year module. :/

I just let myself go. Didn't put the work in when needed. Gonna just have to hope I work insanely hard next two months. I've wrote myself up a timetable but effectively means I won't be leaving the house/library much.

I will switch it up next year. Moving out of my house, with people on my course, and next to uni. I will make work my sole priority - whatever needs to be done to get my focus back.

• Upvote 1

Looks like I might have landed unpaid work in a chartered accountancy firm.

Might be the motivation I need to get a 2:1.

Congrats bro. I have been trying to get unpaid experience for ages but no luck, but got to keep my head up and keep plugging away.

/

I have 2 more exams left and then I am Level 3 AAT qualified. Have been flying through these exams with only one of them being difficult, and I think that was more so because of question layouts being different to mocks I have looked at. Don't know whether to do the last level if I don't have a finance/accounts job come September since I'm still in the experience situation I'm in now. Some people are telling me to continue with it since I'm already more than halfway to having the whole qualification but I also really can't afford anymore money going in to this right now. Already had to borrow money from parents and my aunt for both of these levels. Not sure what to do. I love doing this stuff but I don't want to feel like I'm just doing it for the sake of doing it. I want it to be actively productive to my career growth in that I want to be making use of even the basics.

• 2 weeks later...

Not been here for a while.

6 weeks left of uni ever, zero motivation, about 8 deadlines to hand in, nothing been done

Who else is in a similar position?

3 years gone so quickly

Need to apply for jobs, if you've got any journalism/ PR hookups/ heads-ups PMs.

I know Yoshie was at Sheffield, what's good with you boss? Anyone else up here?

got a harvard referencing question:

book is one of those ones where the author is an Editor. it's a collection of essays from other authors

how do I reference a quote from this book? lecturer briefly said I have to mention that it's the author's work in the editor's book, somehow, but didn't show an example

?

Not been here for a while.

6 weeks left of uni ever, zero motivation, about 8 deadlines to hand in, nothing been done

Who else is in a similar position?

3 years gone so quickly

Need to apply for jobs, if you've got any journalism/ PR hookups/ heads-ups PMs.

I know Yoshie was at Sheffield, what's good with you boss? Anyone else up here?

Yo I'm about, one deadline which is some dead poster due in 17th, other than that need to revise for 6 exams.

Zero motivation too, realised today that time is running out and I need to get a move on, can't wait till the 2nd of June when my last exam is.

On for 2:2, 2:1 looks unlikely.

Been working with 10am-10pm sessions in the library last few days. (Obviously not working the whole time, but getting a decent amount done).

Housemates already hating.

Need this routine to continue for the next 5 weeks...

Wish I had started my essay over Easter.

• 3 weeks later...

Got 68 on my dissertation, didn't expect it. Thought I'd get a 2:2 (and maybe scrape a 2:1)

Go into my exams with a 68 average. Have one more piece of coursework left to get back.

Probably won't get a first, but going to give it a go.

Think I'm going to try and work in youth justice, if it doesn't materialise over the next 6-8 months I'll try and stack and do a MA in Health Economics.