Academic Thread

Yoshie

Was meant to start a postgraduate course at Manchester University of Monday. Not sure of this anymore. :unsure::huh::unsure::huh:
Whappen?
Bank said that they would not finance my loan. I have sorted out accommodation, registration, and prepared myself for this only for them to flake out. So it looks unlikely. Just found out that I have got a job anyway because of my my initial degree so I don't think that it matters anyway. I was looking forward to Manchester though...

Back up to cov on the 27th. Back to hard work, grinding, gym, eating lots, and getting depressed about being in the city of the dead. And I hate the way in our uni you have to wait until your go back to class before you get your timetable. Just makes getting a job long if you don't know when you can work.
i was gonna go to dat uni, went and saw it on one open day, uni's alright but the city is dead

Back up to cov on the 27th. Back to hard work, grinding, gym, eating lots, and getting depressed about being in the city of the dead. And I hate the way in our uni you have to wait until your go back to class before you get your timetable. Just makes getting a job long if you don't know when you can work.
i was gonna go to dat uni, went and saw it on one open day, uni's alright but the city is dead
Yeah, city is over dead. Bare fake thugs like steffidge running around stealing and burning peds with their clima fit caps on.There can be joke caught and Brum is up the road and there are raves in other west midland cities like Leceister, Wolverhampton, etc. I don't regret my choice to go Coventry. Have enjoyed my time, but when it's sh*t, it's over sh*t. Feel like I'm in a game of Sim City and the player has just built the city and is only just working out how to put people in it.

I am going for thishttp://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergradua...y_politics.htmlGot good references from the Chair of Governors of Lewisham College, who is also an executive member of the LSC and plus I am well connected with some university governors and senior staff.Plus it says that they are now taking on mature students. With my background of being a Governor and the Students' Union president I might stand a chance.Fingers crossed for me guys and gals!

I am going for thishttp://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergradua...y_politics.htmlGot good references from the Chair of Governors of Lewisham College, who is also an executive member of the LSC and plus I am well connected with some university governors and senior staff.Plus it says that they are now taking on mature students. With my background of being a Governor and the Students' Union president I might stand a chance.Fingers crossed for me guys and gals!
I dunno if you'd fit in there Ashman...I wish you luck though still.

Is it just me... or does anyone else have induction during freshers week?It's not fair... 9-4pm :(
I had to do that as well. Only mine was varied at times ie. 9am -12pm, 9am - 2pm, etc.. My induction was the whole freshers week, and after it whenever it finished you got the chance to slam, get drunk, sign up for societies or rave. I swear I even remember having to do a small project for induction.Anyways enjoy the first year. It's your chance to f*ck around before your actual work counts towards your degree.

Yeah, city is over dead. Bare fake thugs like steffidge running around stealing and burning peds with their clima fit caps on.There can be joke caught and Brum is up the road and there are raves in other west midland cities like Leceister, Wolverhampton, etc. I don't regret my choice to go Coventry. Have enjoyed my time, but when it's sh*t, it's over sh*t. Feel like I'm in a game of Sim City and the player has just built the city and is only just working out how to put people in it.
:lol:give it a few more years for the affs n the polskis to invadei'm sure u'll feel right at home

I dunno if you'd fit in there Ashman...I wish you luck though still.
LMFAOLucky Cockney is being diplomatic.LMFAO again.Na mate.Dream on.

i haven't written my personal statement yet and im supposed to be applying soon, still waiting to see if my ICT coursework has been sent for re-moderation because my f*ck*ng ICT teacher decided after telling us that it could happen, that she would take a break from lessons until the end of the week (the deadline for remarking/moderation)

who has written their personal statement? have you also chosen what unis you are applying to? i feel i've left this too late already..
My little sis just handed hers in earlier this week but that's her schools deadline also because of the uni's she's applying to.

Guest LucaPiano

Business PartnershipsIntroductionMy names Luca and I have recently been employed by a small consultancy firm of market researchers called Chargem Plenty and Hide. I have been asked to investigate a local profit making organisation and a local non-profit making organisation in belief that the report I can provide may help students at Brighton College with future events or could be helpful in providing money for the college. I have chosen to base my report around the two businesses Oxfam and Marks and Spencer’s who in my view despite the difference in size could potentially be a good pairing. Throughout this investigation I aim to make clear and valid points on how both businesses work, what their objectives are and how they go about them in which this information can provide useful for the future event in the spring. OxfamOxfam is an independent organisation who is affiliates of Oxfam International. They are essentially a charity and are what we call a Non-profit organisation (NPO). A Non-profit organisation is a legally constituted organization that has two major types of structures, membership and board-only. A membership organisation is controlled by its members who have regular meetings and they have the power to appoint board of directors, board of govenerors, board of trustees or even the power to amend the bylaws. A board-only organisation is a self selected board via elections and the powers within the company are limited to these individuals. Most NPO’s are charities who are voluntary organisations like Oxfam, UNICEF and Cancer Research but not every voluntary organization in the U.K is a charity. The purpose of the organisation is to be charitable such as providing support to the public that are already not being provided by the council or the government for example, Poverty, Education, Religion, Health or saving of lives, human rights etc. The organisation cannot provide non charitable activities as of The Charities Act 2006 but whilst these charities may be making a profit, they are not available or distributed to stakeholders or individuals but instead they are retained for future activities and programs, this is called a surplus. Oxfam was founded in 1942 by the Oxford Committee for famine relief a group of social activists who tried persuading the government to allow food relief to Greece. The committee then changed its name to Oxfam in 1965 and they have been providing there services to those in need for over 66 years. Oxfam believe that all humans rights are of equal value but those that are poverty stricken are vulnerable to unnecessary suffering such as conflicts and natural disasters and that unequal power has an big effect on poverty and suffering. Their goal is to overcome poverty using three inter-linking fronts; saving lives by providing aid immediately during emergencies, providing support programs to encourage people to work there ways out of poverty and campaigning to achieve lasting change. They go about this byDo you think this is pass grade, took me about hour.C&C please

Guest LucaPiano

Marks and SpencerMarks and Spencer is the 43rd largest retailer in the world with over 843 stores worldwide in 30 different countries and over 21 million visitors to their store in the U.K each week. They are a public limited company which means they are permitted to sell shares such as bearer shares, cumulative preference, ordinary, preference and redeemable to the public which can be brought via the London Stock Exchange. Marks and Spencer are in the private sector which has limited liability and unlimited continuity that are Governed by Companies Act 61 of 1973. They are managed by a board of directors and their aim is to make an annual profit from the business not only for themselves but for the shareholders who have risked investing money within the company. In order to keep up with the demands and pressures off being a private sector company Marks and Spencer will have to aim to sell more goods and sell them to more people and proceeded by investing into other areas of their business such as food, furniture, and clothing and have also invested heavily into their stores by refurbishing them nationwide with the designers Urban Salon Architects. Marks and Spencer have expanded a business for what was once an iconic British retailer to an international store who believes there products offer quality, value, service, innovation and trust.by Luca Piano

who has written their personal statement? have you also chosen what unis you are applying to? i feel i've left this too late already..
wot?ur either bare late or really earlymovin to shef 2day
applying to start university in 2009, when did you make your uni application?
My little sis just handed hers in earlier this week but that's her schools deadline also because of the uni's she's applying to.
is she applying for oxbridge or doing something lke medicine?

Guest LucaPiano

any tips for getting around plagerism. I have obviously took ideas from wikipedia but have reworded them and you'd be hard pressed to find the exact sentence on the internet is this o.k?

any tips for getting around plagerism. I have obviously took ideas from wikipedia but have reworded them and you'd be hard pressed to find the exact sentence on the internet is this o.k?
dont use wiki, its the first place that gets checked against.if your at uni you should be able to get access to a thing called the athens database. which has vast amounts of informationhonestly though, dont cheat, if u want to use a theme or part of the text, just use it and reference it properlyand just dont use wiki, because the facts are not always accurate

Guest LucaPiano
dont use wiki, its the first place that gets checked against.if your at uni you should be able to get access to a thing called the athens database. which has vast amounts of informationhonestly though, dont cheat, if u want to use a theme or part of the text, just use it and reference it properlyand just dont use wiki, because the facts are not always accurate
Can you give me an example of this please, this is of wikipedia." NPOs often are charities or service organizations; they may be organized as a not-for-profit corporation or as a trust, a cooperative, or they may be purely informal.Sometimes they are also called foundations, or endowments that have large stock funds. A very similar organization called the supporting organization operates like a foundation, but: they are more complicated to administer, they are more tax favored, and the public charities that receive grants from them must have a specially determined relationship. "also i didnt think rewording was cheating because im just picking out loads of bits and peices and nitting them together