VIP2 MOVIE CLUB

Guest David Braund

Am I the only one who finds action films absolutely sh*t these days?This ain't a nostalgia thing I just think action films are stupid, especially the 80's ones.Action always needs to be accompanied by a strong storyline.
If by strong storyline you mean terrorists/south american drug lord/doomsday devicethen yesGood action films need a strong storyline.

I don't mind action films lacking an engrossing story. And I can even forgive crap acting. But what really derails them is a shitty script - so many crumble under the weight of awful dialogue, leaping gleefully into every cliche, and gearing up for cool/punchy one-liners which fail so utterly that the whole cinema shuddersFor me an action film only needs to deliver two things - glorious carnage, and slick dialogue. I'm prepared to switch off my brain and overlook the lack of ideas, the black hole of a plot, the wooden acting. But clunky, shitty bars just totally snap me out of the experience

• Upvote 2

I've noticed I'm going through the same phase as this time last year when I kept buying dvds now I'm doing it with blu-rays. Went HMV and picked up*The Warriors - The Ultimate Director's Cut, been years since I watched the original.*Up In The Air*Men Who Stare At Goats*French Connection*Sherlock Holmes