VIP2 MOVIE CLUB

Guest David Braund

So many films downloaded lately*IP Man*IP Man 2*Insidious (creators of Paranormal Activity and Saw)*Monsters*Little Big Boy (Danish film)*Super*I Saw The Devil (Korean horror/revenge film)*Four LionsMay get Scream 4 (not a big fan of the TS quality, rather get a screener) just to say "I've seen it" not expecting anything since they are now going to do a 5th and talk of a 6th, the style of horror used has moved on since. Fast & Furious 5 I'll look for again not expecting much.

An interesting poll from The Press Association today. According to a study of 1500 by the UK video rental firm Lovefilm, "The Godfather" is the #1 movie most people claim to have seen, but haven't. According to this poll, almost one out of every three people say they have seen "The Godfather" under false pretenses. The rest of the top five most lied about movies are "Casablanca," "Taxi Driver," "2001: A Space Odyssey," and "Reservoir Dogs." It should be noted this is a UK poll with UK voters; it's possible an American poll with American voters might come out differently.Let's talk for a minute about lying about movies you've seen. We've all done it at least once in our life. I definitely have. The last time for me was a couple of years ago when I got into a conversation about Akira Kurosawa and I may or may not have pretended to have seen "Seven Samurai." I might not have necessarily said "I've seen that!" but I was definitely asked "You know 'Seven Samurai,' right?" and I nodded my head and kept my mouth shut so as to not arouse suspicion. (And by the way, I've seen "Seven Samurai" twice, since. I swear.) On the old IFC podcast we devoted a couple of episodes to cinematic blindspots. We never got to watch and discuss our last round of blindspots; the final batch of movies I got called out for not having seen was "All About Eve," (which I've probably lied about having seen at least once or twice) "The Earrings of Madame De...," and "Intolerance" which, in my defense, is really freaking long.Lovefilm was polling average moviegoers, not critics, but I have to admit some of the movies on that list surprise me. They're all fun films to watch: suspenseful, romantic, visually engaging, whatever. These are not turgid melodramas, or eighteen hour Bulgarian artfilms about a guy watching a cat (no offense, Bulgaria). It is an inevitability of this job. Until you've been at it for decades, there are movies you should have seen and haven't. All you can do is keep trying to see these films and expand your knowledge. Someimes the urge to pretend you're more knowledgable than you are can be hard to resist.So let's fess up, people: What movies have you lied about seeing?
1. The Godfather (30 per cent)2. Casablanca (13 per cent)3. Taxi Driver (11 per cent)4. 2001: A Space Odyssey (9 per cent)5. Reservoir Dogs (8 per cent)6. This Is Spinal Tap (7 per cent)7. Apocalypse Now (6 per cent)8. Goodfellas (5 per cent)=8. Blade Runner (5 per cent)10. The Great Escape (4 per cent)
Out of the list I've seen just over half, would say 6 and a half if you include half of Blade Runner. I've wanted to watch Casablanca just never had the overall interest, The Great Escape I'm surprised I haven't since Steve McQueen was a cool mother f*cker.Other films for me all the Star Wars, eh zero interest, Lord Of The Rings, Avatar. If people put films up it would ring a bell with me.

1. The Godfather (30 per cent)2. Casablanca (13 per cent)3. Taxi Driver (11 per cent)4. 2001: A Space Odyssey (9 per cent)5. Reservoir Dogs (8 per cent)6. This Is Spinal Tap (7 per cent)7. Apocalypse Now (6 per cent)8. Goodfellas (5 per cent)=8. Blade Runner (5 per cent)10. The Great Escape (4 per cent)
I've never seen...2. Casablanca (13 per cent)4. 2001: A Space Odyssey (9 per cent)6. This Is Spinal Tap (7 per cent)Wouldn't bother lying about it, I don't get how people do that. Leaving yourself open to embarrassment tbh..

Got movies stacking up here that I can't find the patiance to sit down and watch yet. Black Swan, Blood the Last Vampire, Megamind, Never Let Me Go, Next 3 Days, The Extroadinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec, The Fighter, The Return of Chen Zen, The Tree, Wall Street 2, Yogi Bear, Harry Potter, Way Back, Warriors Way, True Legend and the Mechanic. And not one of them is a must see for me.