Mixing down & Mastering

Skola

Firstly, whats the difference?I know pretty much jack sh*t about it, but i make beats (FL + Reason) and record my own vocals (got a decent mic + preamp/external soundcard).Ive been relying on a very talented engineer but hes took on too many projects (all friends and not paying him) so hes long.Ideally I need an engineer (who doesnt want paid) but more realisticly Im looking for some easy to use tools (and recommended presets) for EQing (mixing/mastering/whatever the correct term is) beats and vocals.At the moment all I do with vocals is compress (and sometimes reverb) in Cool Edit or Cubase using the 'vocals' presets.I have about 20 tracks (probably use about 15 of them) which I plan to release as a cd + download but Im not happy with my abilities as an engineer and my friend will take forever.If anyone wants to hear some stuff il up some clips.Any advice is recommended.Oh its grime and hiphop.Cheers,Skola

I see it like this, and some peoples views may differ.I make my track in Reason. I don't use the EQ's or comps etc, if I do, I only use them very lightly to sculpt a sound. Once the track is finished in reason, I then rewire Reason into a program called Tracktion. Tracktion has all of my plugins which I use for my "mix down" and also a couple of synths. In the mix down I'll be focussing on dealing mainly with frequencies which clash. For example, the bassline and the bassdrum. I'll eq out these clashing frequencies to give a clearer sound with no distortion and more space. If I can't get my desired effect using EQ's i'll use a compressor to tighten up a sound or limit it a little without losing too much of its original force. For me, a mix down is about making the track sound a clean, tidy and clear as possible. I try to limit my use of limiters and stuff like analog tape/vintage warmers.Once I've done my best with the mixdown then, if I think the tracks worthwhile, I'll get it mastered. The mastering process usually involves running your tune through hardware and making it sound more warm & analog-like. The best mastering engineers can make your tune sound big, loud (but not overpowering/distorting), warm and fat. Thats why these guys are in high demand. You can of course try to master your tunes digitally on your PC. There are various programs you can use, just google and find one. To get your CD mastered well will cost you. But its worth it for sure.

I see it like this, and some peoples views may differ.I make my track in Reason. I don't use the EQ's or comps etc, if I do, I only use them very lightly to sculpt a sound. Once the track is finished in reason, I then rewire Reason into a program called Tracktion. Tracktion has all of my plugins which I use for my "mix down" and also a couple of synths. In the mix down I'll be focussing on dealing mainly with frequencies which clash. For example, the bassline and the bassdrum. I'll eq out these clashing frequencies to give a clearer sound with no distortion and more space. If I can't get my desired effect using EQ's i'll use a compressor to tighten up a sound or limit it a little without losing too much of its original force. For me, a mix down is about making the track sound a clean, tidy and clear as possible. I try to limit my use of limiters and stuff like analog tape/vintage warmers.Once I've done my best with the mixdown then, if I think the tracks worthwhile, I'll get it mastered. The mastering process usually involves running your tune through hardware and making it sound more warm & analog-like. The best mastering engineers can make your tune sound big, loud (but not overpowering/distorting), warm and fat. Thats why these guys are in high demand. You can of course try to master your tunes digitally on your PC. There are various programs you can use, just google and find one. To get your CD mastered well will cost you. But its worth it for sure.
cool.how easy is it to use tracktion or how long wud it take to pick up?

Mixing = leveling/arranging & groupingMastering = tweaking and equing the frequencies of the entire mix or the group mix..est listening (Listening to the track a various mediums)Too be honest I tend to do both at the same time. mix and master as I go. Mastering is like the last manufacturing process. Liek painting a car.I can never give an engineer my tracks to master without me been present..Most of the so called pro engineers usually slam a compressor on the final mix, cut the mid eqs a notch and call it a day

Yeah Afro, you should always attend the mastering process if you can. The only people I'd trust would be Transition though.Tracktion isn't hard to learn at all. Its a small program and user friendly. If you previously used just Reason, the moment you rewire into Tracktion you'll hear a difference without even adding anything on top. I use it because its what I'm used to and I like its interface & sound. Of course, you can probably use another program like Cubase and have equally good results with that. As with all software it usually comes down to personal preference.

Yeah Afro, you should always attend the mastering process if you can. The only people I'd trust would be Transition though.Tracktion isn't hard to learn at all. Its a small program and user friendly. If you previously used just Reason, the moment you rewire into Tracktion you'll hear a difference without even adding anything on top. I use it because its what I'm used to and I like its interface & sound. Of course, you can probably use another program like Cubase and have equally good results with that. As with all software it usually comes down to personal preference.
Ture its all about personal preference.I have worked with some big by engineers on some of my tracks and I wasnt really impressed with their final result. I personally try to keep the mix & master on one sequncer, cuz the track starts to depreciate when you move it about.I Use pro-tools some times.But lately its been logic, with some decent plug-ins u can do wonders.

ill up an example of a tune i mixed down and masteredBare in mind. I did everything in my houseThe recording and the mixing.the beat was already mixed by the producer etc.http://www.zshare.net/audio/154810387026dc8b/probably one of the only tunes i done that i actually spent time on getting it how i wanted it fully.**Obviously it isn't gonna be as good as the record comapnies.... i don't have that kinda of hardware/money**I learnt new things since then... I could make the mix louder now.This is making me wanna buy a mic again.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the way D-S will waltz into a topic, not really help in any way but drop a plug to himself/his tune.xxI really want to learn about all this stuff, but i don't just want to sit through hours of tutorials on the web. Sleepz i'll cook you fried plantain (per session) if you teach me all this.

Thanks drifteri must say i have improved, but i'm still sh*t. The fact that i use headphones REALLY doesn't help.I need to learn the technical side though, i don't have the faintest about frequencies and low pass and all that.I hear that with the volume thing, even when/if i do get round to getting monitors...i won't be able to have stuff up too loud for too long, think cheap walls in a block of flats.

the best thing 2 do is.Get 2 sets of speakers. one standard stereo one a bit more powerful and a good set of headphones.Most time when u got the sound u want on all 3, ur at the right place.Eq'in and compression all comes down to taste. obviously over compressing and eqing will sound f*cked but different people like there stuff ina different way. So you have to get to the place you wanna be, take tips from other people to create your own technique.

• 1 month later...
Thanks drifteri must say i have improved, but i'm still sh*t. The fact that i use headphones REALLY doesn't help.I need to learn the technical side though, i don't have the faintest about frequencies and low pass and all that.I hear that with the volume thing, even when/if i do get round to getting monitors...i won't be able to have stuff up too loud for too long, think cheap walls in a block of flats.
best way to learn is to listen to a track u like and try to emulate the way it's been mixed down. read up on techniques and the way different effects are used. use a frequency analyser like voxengo span and it'll show u where the different peaks in the frequency range are in ur fav track and u can try to copy it. also if u aint got monitors play the track on as many different systems as u can, in different environments, bear in mind things like laminate flooring amplify certain bass frequencies so, so whilst ur track's bottom end may sound weighty in ur bedroom, in ur car it may not sound as good.