Official Job Vacancies Thread

zeezee

I have one hell of a gut instinct telling me this is some scam company or something. Too many alarm bells are ringing. Should started my interview 15 mins ago. If come 12:30 I'm still sitting here I'm leaving.

What happened fam?

Recruitment consultants are scum of the earth but you need them sometimes.

I would think in an area like accountancy they would definitely be of use, so don't be deterred to approach them. Just grind it out mayne

Give these lot a call/get a contact to forward CV to..

http://www.hs-accountancy.co.uk/default.asp

What strategies are people using to get jobs now?Surely people are not just sitting in front of the lappy and firing out CV's, thats pointless. Visiting the employer? LinkedIn? Networking Events? Whats the steeds. .

events can work

mainly banging out cvs in this day and age

my companys not making money, so im f*ck*ng off soon

need to jump ship quick

What happened fam?

WARNING: Long read.

So on Monday after gym I was in the kitchen making food. Came back to my phone in my room and saw I had a voice message stating this company had looked at my application for a trainee accounts assistant position and if I was interested I should call them up. First thing I did was go through my emails to find out if it was an actual job I applied for or unpaid experience. Couldn't find anything so deduced it was probably a gumtree advert I applied for. I call up, and the woman is called Miss Taylor. No forename so I was slightly perplexed but anyways talking to her and I tell her I'm still interested in the position. She then states I need to come in for an interview with them, and then if I pass I get put through to the final interview with the actual company offering the job. I'm like cool, when's the interview thinking it would be later in the week or next week. This MIss Taylor says tomorrow, so I'm annoyed because my face is looking kinda rough and I had stuff I needed to do but a potential job is there so I told her I would have my interview at 11:30am. She states that she will send me an email confirming this and I should reply to confirm my attendance. The text comes in and it doesn't seem professional at all, grammar is slightly dodge and just doesn't seem like a professional recruitment agency type message.

Anyways I go work that same day and think about it whilst doing normal work stuff.

Next morning I wake up early to get ready and I have this gut feeling all of a sudden that this is some bogus sh*t, which I had slightly but nowhere near this extent. I have learnt that generally my gut is almost always right but I continued getting ready. I search for this company in google, only company that comes up is a recruitment agency in the states. Type in the phone number, nothing comes up, same with the postcode. This is just giving me even more reason to suspect.

So I leave my house and I'm on my way to the station to go to Old Street (this also had me on edge as when I have been told about scam companies they seem to rent office space in the Old Street area regularly) and my girl calls me. I'm literally outside Kilburn Park station telling her I'm confident this is bullshit and is a waste of time. She tells me I'm already suited up and at the station so I might as well go and that I never know, although I'm telling her about all teh red flags I'm seeing and she sees them as well.

Get to the office early, about 11:10am. I call this Miss Taylor to tell her I'm outside and she says she will send someone to open the front door. The receptionist that comes to answer the door seems like she doesn't do receptionist work or has the slightest clue how to deal with people so another red flag appears, and not because receptionists can't be in bad moods but because you can still get a vibe that they know how to deal with people and carry themselves. She walks me into an office that is virtually empty bar two people. No paperwork anywhere, no files, hardly any computers, no cabinets, and no printer from what I can see. Another red flag. I look at the black guy he is standing up doing nothing but stretching and he nods sheepishly. For me this is further confirmation. What recruitment agency, in the EC area that is hiring for a mortgage and advisory/accountancy/investment etc. company is that quiet at 11am on a weekday? The other woman in the office I saw was literally just looking at the table. So I walk through with this receptionist and she walks past a waiting room with other people and states that she is going to have me wait in the back entrance area until the waiting room has space and then she will come and get me. This is at 11:15am now I'm sitting down.

So I'm casually chiilling thinking they will come and get me soon since my interview is in 15 minutes.

No one comes.

So I'm checking emails and the interwebs killing time and no one has come to get me.

At 11:45am I'm irritated for two reasons. They haven't come to get me and my interview was meant to be at 11:30am and because this is just further confirming my suspicion that this is all bogus. At which point I posted

I have one hell of a gut instinct telling me this is some scam company or something. Too many alarm bells are ringing. Should started my interview 15 mins ago. If come 12:30 I'm still sitting here I'm leaving.

So I continue waiting, texting my friend about this sh*t and then at 12:15pm I snapped, got up and left out the back entrance they had me sitting by. I actually wished I could see someone on the way out so I could blast them all about this sh*t but alas it was not to be. Called my girl and told her what happened and the more I'm telling her the angrier I'm getting for wasting my time. I'm kinda angry at her for talking me into it, but more annoyed that I allowed her to talk me into going. Hung up on her and got on the train back home to comfort myself with some xbox time before my evening class.

And that's it. Not going to lie, I felt like Jason Bourne the way I was analysing everything I saw straight away and piecing sh*t together :lol:

So now, back to the job hunt.

NB: I used to work as an administrator in Hackney Council so all the behaviour in the office I could instantly tell what was and wasn't right about that office I went to. Wouldn't surprise me if those people in the waiting room were in on it as well but maybe I'm just being paranoid. Had I actually had my interview I can only imagine they would try and scam me or get me to pay for training.

• Upvote 1

lol titan i just got an interview tomorrow from some company who were previously based in old street, did some research turns out its some pyramid scheme now based in london bridge. the e-mail they sent me was pretty amateur and they phoned me from some dodgy number as well. was also a gumtree link.

Interviews are not always held at a companies own office, most rent places like the one that you attended and hold interviews there.... but having to wait over an hour and not even being told that there is a delay or anything like that is just taking the piss

did you send them your CV or any details apart from name, address and contacts details??

when i see adverts on Gumtree asking people to send there CV's, the bells start ringing straight away, i'm sure there is no upload feature on Gumtree so you can't actually upload your CV anyway... and most of the adverts don't provide an email address, so how do they expect you to send them your CV lol

i usually send them a message asking for an email address so i can send them my CV, 90% of the time, i get no reply.. that's because those adverts are fake and designed to trick people into just sending there CV's to them so they can have your details.

if it's a legit company looking for staff, they will be able to send you a proper company email address without any problems, or you can fill in a form on there website... at the same time check there address, company info, go on Google maps, etc.. if you have to, to see if there so called office even exists lol

i recently went for an interview and the company didn't have a website and there was no trace of them online, i saw the advert on the Job Centre website and i sent them my CV because i just felt that it was legit, i got a reply via email within a few hours, which had quite a few spelling mistakes, it didn't seem very "professional", more like somebody messaging me on Facebook, but i asked a few questions about the job, they replied and offered me an interview yesterday, i turned up on the day and the office was up some stairs next to a dirty looking barber shop in a place that i had never been to before, it turned out to be a very large international company and they had thousands of employees all over the world.. they just weren't all over the internet.. everything went well and they said they will get back to me some time next week

the woman got called out of the office during the internview and there was a pile of other CV's from the other people who were going to be interviewed on the desk which were emailed to her and she had printed off to go through, i had a quick look and clocked that she was only interviewing 4 other people so i got happy, makes my chances even better lol

if you get offered an interview and it seems a bit dodgy, going there just to check it out won't harm you, just go and if it's not right, walk out.. you won't really need to fill in any forms or give them copies of your documents if it's an interview most of the time

Titan is the only breh here that really deserves his break. it will come fam

/

this is a networking/ coaching / inspirational event... saturday 31st march, some seminars r free some are a fiver

http://inspirationalyoumarch2012.eventbrite.co.uk/

/

shock all those strategies work its a numbers game though, the more you do the more you increase your chances

Should be starting a new job in Toronto in about 10 days,

health management and insurance firm

the UK govt will be running models like Canada in British Hospitals soon enough

whether you like it or not, and whether you vote labour or Libcon all you like so this will be some good experience for me.

avoid gumtree for jobs at all cost, certainly not for accounting jobs. 2 DAYS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thats harsh looking fam. I think you should've at least found someone to see what the f*ck whats going on. I would've had to.

BTW I forgot to say that's a good example of a bit of a myth looking company. The one I posted, Hudson & Shribman.

They're based in Bank, Got a couple floors in one nice building there though. Fully legit and more than likely have jobs in the field you're looking.

When I'm not working tomorrow I will check out the link. It's coming up funny on my phone for some reason.

And as for asking someone I felt like if they were that unprofessional about joining them, it would be more problematic relying on them to get me employment. I had decided in my mind I wasn't dealing with them in any capacity after having me wait for an hour.

just got a jarb as a sales executive

lying on ya cv =success

they wanted references so i forwarded a landline num to my mobile and pretended to be a manager

are ya natz are ya silli

/

that ghana ting i will standardly apply

been tellin dons for time

VoIP >>>>>>

has saved me on numerous occasions, will try it for jobs

OK I'm over it now

Wasnt successful i an interview for a 6-week internship with the bank of london and middle east

The final hurdle is killing me right now, made it down to the last three just didnt do enough homework

Didn't feel confident at all, at the time too, need to overcome these small things