Is Britain becoming more racially segregated?

Chase

What are your views?  

9 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

The head of the Commission for Racial Equality Trevor Phillips is warning of increased segregation. But it should come as no surprise - it has been on the government's books since the riots of 2001 in Bradford, Burnley and Oldham. The most damning report into the disturbances, by Ted Cantle, a former council chief and expert in local communities, warned of communities living "parallel lives" and recommended wide-ranging changes to policy. The words chosen by Mr Phillips for his speech are more strident - but they amount to the same thing: People share space in Britain's towns and cities but do not know who each other are. The CRE chairman has already attacked what many increasingly regard as the heart of the problem, multiculturalism, a concept that few people agree on. To its critics, multiculturalism means defining people as different - black, white, Asian, Muslim, Irish and so on - and then treating them differently. At its most stark, critics say it means policy makers decide how to treat people based first on their ethnicity, rather than their rights as citizens; in turn, this encourages people to see themselves as different, as separate, rather than sharing common goals. On the other hand, the supporters of multiculturalism say it cannot be blamed for segregation in society; they argue that public displays of difference - such as a laissez-faire attitude to building of places of worship, can strengthen communities by building civic pride into identities. In his speech, Mr Phillips argues that the nation is becoming more divided by race and religion, with young people being brought up in enclaves. He warns that Britain is "sleep-walking" its way towards segregation on a scale already seen in the USA. The evidence is there to be seen, says Mr Phillips, it's just going unspoken. 'Enclaves growing' So what is the evidence? Last month the Royal Geographical Society published a study that suggested ethnic "enclaves" are growing in the UK's cities. In major cities they found groups isolated by ethnicity. Some of the widest separation occurred with people of Pakistani or Bangladeshi backgrounds, some of the poorest groups in society. In short, government policy needs to be much more sophisticated in how it stops this kind of seemingly permanent division, argued the paper. However, there is evidence that points in completely the other direction - not least within the figures of the BBC's Born Abroad project, published this month. Ethnic mixing Those maps of the UK, based on research carried out for the Institute of Public Policy Research, show not only the homogenous clusters that worry Trevor Phillips - but also ethnic mixing seemingly taking place through choice. BORN ABROAD PROJECT Maps immigration to BritainWhere people come fromWhere they liveHow well they doBorn Abroad: Full special report Two major ethnicities, for example, the Caribbean-born and the India-born, can be seen quite clearly in the Born Abroad maps moving out of inner cities into the leafier suburbs as the years pass. In other words, people who can afford to do so often appear to have little problem mixing on Acacia Avenue. And as older, economically-established ethnicities move out of the cities, Born Abroad shows new and more diverse peoples moving in - particularly young people drawn by the attractions of London. Building citizenship So what does this mean for policy? One of the big issues over the past five years has been whether or not government should be taking a leading role in defining what it is to be a British citizen.

I got views from both sides of the argument - but i sway more towards the YES it is.I agree that loads of immigrants are comin over to milk the great british cow for whatever they can! Council flats - housing benefit, child support etc. and it takes the piss cos the Original british citzens are getting f*ck all! and it's all OUR tax money paying for immigrants custhy lifestyles.But this topic is more about segregation and not immigrants.I agree also that the country is becoming more segregated into minority groups in certain areasE.gBradhurst or whatever it's called is supposed to be almost 100% asian and places like brixton and peckham are thought to be majority black areas.I personally think that it isn't that easy for minority groups to mix into predominantly white areas, but once someone starts the ball rolling others will follow.However - on the other side - i think that minority groups are making themselves out casts cos firstly if you wanted to be part of the bigger picture and not be counted as different then WHY would you publish things like Asian newspapers and asian radio stations and muslim TV channels???NO-ONE ELSE IS GONNA WANT TO WATCH THESE! I'm gonna leave it there cos otherwise I'll go on forever!

I dont know if its becoming more segregated or if its just the way its always been but there are definate divides between racial groups. In regards to blame and where that should lie, i dunno really. It seems like people are happy with the divides, even making an effort to ensure they stay there......i definately think its a negative thing though.Divides can only lead to conflict though. People dislike what they dont understand but how can we understand each other if we dont make the effort to get to know each other?Every racial group expects tolerance from everyone else but how can you get tolerance and understanding if you seperate yourself?Nobody makes the effort to reach out to anyone anymore. How many of you dont know your neighbours? it never used to be like that though and i think its worrying that its become that way.Everyone is so scared of everyone else or so defensive that nobody gives anyone a chance anymore. I dunno....thats my 2 cents for what its worth.

i wanderin how long it would take and who would be ther person to post something else intelligent!Well done vickie - well put.However - i do know my neighbours - but they're just cunts so i don't speak to them!On one side is an ex copper - he's a scottish drunk w*nker! and the other side is 2 retired school teachers who are up their own arses!But back on topic - i have noticed that there is a lot of conflict between white and black people - but has anyone noticed blacks and asians (sometimes with the exception of chinese triads) seem to get along just fine..... they don't seem to btother each other.Maybe it's just me that's noticed this.... i dont know!?? :?