Once Upon A Time In New York: The Birth of Hip Hop, Disco and Punk

Jo Dark

How the squalid streets of 70s New York gave birth to music that would go on to conquer the world - punk, disco and hip hop.Inspired by the Velvet Underground, a new wave of 'punk' rock emerged in lower Manhattan. Meanwhile, downtown loft parties heralded the birth of disco, which would eventually spawn the ultimate club for the privileged few: Studio 54. But the swanky mid-town discos were out of bounds to black New York, so in the Bronx DJs created their own parties, heralding the birth of hip hop.
This is a repeat but it'll probably be something good to watch anyway.

makes you feel sad that no new scenes are emerging now as visceral and exciting as late 70's early 80's NYC
majorly. i dunno here in london we had grime, garage, funky house, acid house and on the larger scale of england indie rock. but tbh i think the internet has killed off any chance of musical revolutions because scenes dont get the chance to grow due to every hypebeast looking for the next big thing. shits f*cked.good watch skafe jo dark.

makes you feel sad that no new scenes are emerging now as visceral and exciting as late 70's early 80's NYC
majorly. i dunno here in london we had grime, garage, funky house, acid house and on the larger scale of england indie rock. but tbh i think the internet has killed off any chance of musical revolutions because scenes dont get the chance to grow due to every hypebeast looking for the next big thing. shits f*cked.good watch skafe jo dark.
the early days of grime when they were raves and the biggest players were all on pirate woulda been sickbut thats it really lol at funky house really rebore broken beatand indie rock is wash doesnt sound any diff or better than anything the smiths releases 20 plus years agoyeh your right about the internet its changed the way we consume music scenes cant grow organicallyand all that jazz

not really. it might not be RIGHT NOW in your opinion, but its been hapening for time...think of house and techno in the late 80s, then jungle, old skool hardcore, dnb and then later even uk garage.the "revolutionary" part of it is probably more tamed now a days with new scenes but its nt the fault of people involved in the music, its more so society and how its adapted...if u look at the 60s, that was the first time der was that kind of musical and cultural revolution hittin society but it got controlled and it died down and it left subtle changes but never turned over the old world like how they wanted it to. so any thing that came after that fell into a similar sort of preset and the impacts were not as great. the world had already seen it and nothing changed collectively.

somebody tell me they have a link to this.i only went out and forgot to set the sky+.
You can still catch it on iPlayer.There are still different musical scenes around. From my experience I would say dubstep is an example of a musical scene that has a DIY attitude and a real sense of community. The only thing though is that it has lost the innocence of previous scenes. The main players know how to create a professional environment, and the music itself has spread much faster worldwide than previous dance music has. It is one of, if not the first dance descendent to benefit from the Internet, but it could also provide major problems as well...