Adams appointed new Pompey boss

The Somalian

_45149518_adams_282.jpg_39917588_vieira_tony200245.jpgalready been updated on wiki :mellow: Tony Adams has been confirmed as the new manager of Portsmouth following the departure of Harry Redknapp. Adams took charge of the team alongside coach Joe Jordan for Sunday's 1-1 draw with Fulham following Redknapp's departure to Tottenham. "I'm very honoured, it's a great opportunity," he said. "I would have been mad to turn it down." The 42-year-old added that he would do everything in his power to keep first team coach Joe Jordan at the club. Adams was named as Redknapp's number two in 2006 after an ill-fated spell in charge of Wycombe and coaching jobs in the Netherlands with Feyenoord and Utrecht. "We've got some great players here at Portsmouth and I've been kind of responsible, with Harry, for bringing them to the club," said the former Arsenal and England defender. "It is a risk because Harry's done a fantastic job for this club and he is a hard act to follow. But I think it is my time, I think I am ready." Former Bolton and Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce and ex-Chelsea manager Avram Grant, who worked as technical director at Fratton Park in 2006, were reportedly among the favourites to take over from Redknapp. But Pompey chief executive Peter Storrie insisted Adams was the best man for the job. "Right from the beginning I liked the idea of continuity," said Storrie. "Although Harry was the manager it was always about three or four of the coaches working together. "The right and correct thing was to see who else was available but I couldn't see anything better than Tony and that's why we decided he was the man to go for. "We hope Tony will be here for as long as he wants to be here. He's an icon in the game of football. We will give him all the support we can and we hope he will do a great job." 606: DEBATE This is a laughable decision by the board - he was a great player but he is completely unproven as a manager Craig1000 Storrie had said on Sunday that the south-coast club would take their time in finding a new manager but revealed the "huge, huge shock" of Redknapp's departure made it imperative to act quickly. Adams begins his reign as Portsmouth boss with a trip to league leaders Liverpool at Anfield on Wednesday. There is already speculation linking a number of Adams' players with moves to Tottenham in January but Adams says he will fight to keep hold of the those he wants to remain at Fratton Park. "They're here because they're good players and other clubs will be interested in good players," he said. "But my job is to keep them here and to get them to play well. "At the moment they're responding well - they might not like me but at the moment it's going well. Adams rejected the suggestion that he had been affected by his disappointing experience at Wycombe. "I'm one of those annoying people who gets back up. I didn't know what way it's going to go but sooner or later I was going to get an opportunity to manage a very good team. "At Wycombe my job was to save the club - they were losing £6,000 a week at the time but this is a different ball game. "This is the next step for me. It's like Christmas. It's the best job in the world. I'm scared to bits, of course, but another bit of me is really excited. I couldn't sleep last night. "I would have been gutted not to get the job but thanks to them (Storrie and owner Alexandre Gaydamak) for having the courage to put me in place. "Harry is a tough man to follow and sometimes it (a number two becoming a number one) doesn't work. "But I think this is my time. I've got great support from the owner, Peter, the fans, my wife, my family and the players. It gives me fantastic optimism that it will be ok."

well since he flopped at wycombe he's (according to ssn) been a coach at feyernood and urctecht so he will have learnt quite a bit more over therehe will have learnt alot from harry too, which i'm sure he will just mimic for the short termhes already said hes been in touch with wenger, who i'm sure he will bounce ideas offif joe jordan stays hes got an experienced figure with him toobut the best of all is the players know and like him, if theyd of brought in allardyce as the safe choice in terms of keeping them in the league for the next few years, the players probably wouldnt of suited his system and alot would of wanted to leavefair play to them for showing a bit of ambition and giving the job to someone unproven....that said, i dont think long term it will work out for them, as there isnt really any where he can take them - they dont have any money and players will be sold - young managers are pretty much always inconsistent with their signings and in a team with very limited funds he cant afford to do that.but short term they will probably just keep plodding along and probably finish in the top half, which is probably all they want.edit; i beg we stop hearing english/british managers moaning about the lack of oppertunities nowaccording to ssn 15 of the managers in the PL are british now, and one of the foreigners is an irish man (keane) and another is Zola who i think we all count as an adopted englishman.