Producers!

Captain Planet

Moretime I sample just to create a particular sound or complete a track, at times it maybe just the drums or the bass or vocals. I rarely leave the sample the way it was originally so I chop it up, tweak it here & there, up or drop a few octaves JUST to beef up or fill in what I've already made.

Depends, if i like, say, a piano riff from a game or a film, or even a song that isn't associated with your genre of choice i think it's good to try and re-interpret it, or create something new from it. Also certain things like brass instruments always sound artificial if u rely on a multi-sampled patch and a piano roll, and if u haven't got a session musician available the next best thing is to sample - even if it's just one note.Also Afroman can u send me a link to that assasin's creed beat u had in ur sig a while ago? I just started playing the game and wanna see if i recognise the tune!

Sometimes i'll be listening to certain pieces of music (mostly get this when i listen to Jazz) and you think 'this one part of the tune is so sick' you maybe wish it was longer (i find that ALOT in jazz, the whole tune is good but like the bridge is just amazing compared to the rest). Then i just wanna sample it and play with it.being a big fan of Ali Shaheed Mohammed, Dilla etc doesn't help either :D

sampling doesn't show a lack of creative ability tho, there's nothing wrong with it if u do it correctly. also i'll use bits from sample packs as well, not complete loops but if i want, say a rhodes chord in Dm7 surely it's easier to use a supplied sample than try and re-create the same sound, especially when u consider that most of these sample packs run their audio thru various bits of cult hardware that the average computer beat-maker doesn't have access to and can't emulate authentically.

Depends, if i like, say, a piano riff from a game or a film, or even a song that isn't associated with your genre of choice i think it's good to try and re-interpret it, or create something new from it. Also certain things like brass instruments always sound artificial if u rely on a multi-sampled patch and a piano roll, and if u haven't got a session musician available the next best thing is to sample - even if it's just one note.Also Afroman can u send me a link to that assasin's creed beat u had in ur sig a while ago? I just started playing the game and wanna see if i recognise the tune!
http://www.zshare.net/audio/51592779a679a91f/I didn't sample it from the game tho. Made everything from scratch. it was for an intro to a portfolio I was working on.

I sample. Many producers sample, from house legends who can play the keys for days to minimal techno producers who can make the most on point mixdowns known to man. But the most i'll sample is one hit. For example a drum hit, or a key/chord hit. Then that hit will be processed with reverbs,delays,eq,comp etc until I've got it how I want it.When i make a track its always the drums and the bass first - then the peripherals like key hits or riffs which sit on the top of the beat. The drums are what gives the groove in my opinion and if you can get them jamming nicely then the stuff ontop like samples and sounds are just the colour of the beat rather than the important material.Check out Shackleton if you want to see how to do drums correctly.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/51592779a679a91f/I didn't sample it from the game tho. Made everything from scratch. it was for an intro to a portfolio I was working on.
safe, beat's big as well.