Using Your PS3 Wireless Controller On Windows...

Guest DN Braund

Guest DN Braund

i was researching this for my carpc (needed sutin nice to play the n64 games n that)n this was my obvious choice seeing as the 360 controller is jus deadout for me n i'd need some long cable tinghttp://davieslim.wordpress.com/2008/09/15/...less-bluetooth/i havent tried it but the comments seem to show that it worksdunno if itll work with more than one controller doealsois there a white dualshock 3 pad?

Hey All!In this guide I will obviously show you how to use a PS3 controller on a PC with Windows (no Linux sorry...) via a USB connection.Let's get started!What you will need:1. A PS3 Sixaxis or Dualshock 3 controller (You probably also have a PS3)2. A USB cable with a Mini-B end (The charge cable for the controller)3. A PC with Windows 2000, XP, or Vista (No Mac or Linux)4. This .RAR package: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=46VPK13C5. XPadder: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M04TVQYK6. This Picture: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EP5N239BNow the Tutorial:I'm assuming you have Winrar. If not search and download it. It's a must have for this site... and most online sites.Step 1: Download and Extract the above files (except XPadder) to a new folder of your choice.Step 2: Open libusb-win32-filter-bin-0.1.10.1.exe. Install it. Close the test window that appears at the end of the installation. Then copy libusb0.dll to C:\Windows\System 32. Overwrite a previous one if there is one.Step 3: Plug the Mini-B end of the Charging cable into the PS3 Controller. Plug the USB end into a USB port on your computer. Windows should install a driver or something. Just go with the flow.Step 4: Open ps3sixaxis_en.exe. A black box should pop up then close almost instantly. This is normal. Your PS3 controller should now work in games that support Gamepads. NOTE: Everytime you turn off or restart your computer, to use the PS3 controller you will need to open this program again. You may want to send a shortcut, or the file itself to the desktop.Step 6: Open Control Panel. Go to Game Controllers or Hardware and Sound (On XP and Vista respectibly. Note: If on Vista, you have Control Panel set to classic view, it will be Game Controllers.) Then if you went to Hardware and Sound click on Game Controllers. Your PS3 controller should be there. Click it and go to Properties. You should then be able to move the + sign in the box with the analog stick. If so it's working if not, your controller is not connected. It should be though.Alright. Now the main process is done. From here, your controller's red LEDs should be blinking. Your controller should now work in Games that support it. For games that don't support controllers, we're going to have use some third party software. From here on is completely optional.Getting the Controller to Work With Games that Don't Support ItFor the second part of the Guide, I'm going to show you how to use XPadder, a good piece of software for mapping buttons to a controller.Step 1: I'm assuming you have followed the above steps and your PS3 controller is showing up and working on your computer. Now, open Xpadder.exe the file you dowloaded from the link above.A window should pop up. Answer Start, Program location, and Associate for the windows that pop up. NOTE: You may want to create a shortcut or put the actual program on the desktop for easy use later.Step 2: A New window should pop up. Click the controller in the right corner. Select New.Step 3: Another window will pop up. Click the "Image" tab, and click open. Navigate to the extracted image (Sony_PlayStation_Black.bmp) you downloaded from the link above. A Sony Playstation controller should then pop up in the pink box.Step 4: Click on the "Sticks" tab. Check the enabled box. A new window will pop up asking you to press up, then left on the left analog stick. Do so, then drag the circle for the analog stick that popped up over the left analog stick. Next click Stick 2. Repeat the steps for Stick 2, then drag it over again.Step 5: Now click the "DPad" Tab. Check enabled, then follow the same steps as above.Step 6: Click the "Buttons" tab. Press any single button on the PS3 controller to make it pop up on the pink screen. Drag it to where that button is on the image. Then name it in the Details box. Repeat for every button onthe controller, including pressing it the Left and Right Analog sticks. Don't mess with the "Triggers" option. Click the "Finish" tab and then close. After this, the PS controller will have clear squares and circles, etc all over it. Now click the Controller image again and go to Save as... and name it PS3 controller or something to that effect. Mine was prenamed so I didn't have to name it.Step 7: Now, you have buttons all over the PS controller image. Click on any button, and a keyboard will pop up. Depending on the game you are playing, the controls will be different. Click a keyboard button that corresponds to where that button would be on a controller, to add that action to the button on the controller you clicked. Generally, the right stick will be the mouse so I would pick Up on the analog stick and set it as Up on the mouse, etc. Repeat these steps until the controller is set up for your game.Step 8: When you are done assigning buttons to buttons, click the script image in the middle of the page. Click save as and name the profile the name of the game you'll be playing with that profile. Whenever you load it in the future, just load that profile and it will be ready to go!In the future, just load up Xpadder, click the controller image, and choose the PS3 controller file. Then click the script image and load the profile that you have premade for the game you're about to play. Load up the game and you're good to go!And that's about it. It looks like a lot, but it really doesn't take that long. If you have trouble getting the controller to connect to the computer, I will be putting up an FAQ section soon!Hopefully, this will help people get a free, familiar game controller for use on the PS3!FAQ SectionComing Soon...Thanks again!-NanophlamePS: Yes, I know the 360 controller is easier to run on windows. But do all of us have 360s? No. Also if you have wireless controllers, you have to buy the USB connector. So don't post about you and your wireless 360 controller. I don't really care about them.