English strikers then and now

Davicious X

Theres been a little chat recently how English strikers from the 90s are better than the striker nowadays. This is not about me agreeing or disagreeing with the statements that have been made but I was looking at the list of goal scorers in the other thread and seen alot of nowaday strikers flyin up the list, so where do people get this idea that strikers of old are better than the strikers of today?Someone even went and mentioned Dion Dublin was a good striker but he only had a career of 111 goals, meanwhile Emile Heskey who still has many football years ahead of him and is widely regarded as sh*t already has 100 career goals.Discuss

Dion Dublin played centre back for a long time, so I presume that you've made sure that those stats are only based on his tenure as a striker?And Heskey is pretty sh*t despite 2 seasons at Leicester. He is a big bruiser with no technique. Good strength and that's about the only reason he is picked for England, where he impresses tbf.

HEskey played left wing whilst at liverpool and thats where he broke into the england team toowas class at leicester shoulda never gone pool they ruined everyone they signed up until benitez second season but yh 90s>>>sutton airing the england b team injuries f*cked him at chelsea but was a showermantoo many strikers

The heskey dublin ting was just a goals scored example still.Just tryin to create discussion cos everyone seems to follow the same thought pattern, lookin to read ppls individual views.I mean are we really saying that Jermain Defoe or even Darren Bent wouldnt be nuff higher up the list if they werent significantly parred off for the last few years

of course its changed from them fat skillfull i got a bag of tekkers hat trick against arsenal northern monkeys like mickey quinn upfrontto theive got no tekkers, skill, finnishing, composure but i run around a lot am strong and got pace to burn africans like benjanieven though its about english strikers basically strikers have to be able to do more then score these days acrually scoring is the least of there worries

Your off the mark Gandalf. Dublins record was sickening.He had 111 PREMIER LEAGUE GOALS, which is just under 1 in 2 and he played about 50 games throughout his career at centre back.I did some research in a next topic because I was suprised how good Dublins ratio is, and on paper his record is much better than Ian Wright, who is widely considered one of the better strikers to play in England of the last 15-20 years

Your off the mark Gandalf. Dublins record was sickening.He had 111 PREMIER LEAGUE GOALS, which is just under 1 in 2 and he played about 50 games throughout his career at centre back.I did some research in a next topic because I was suprised how good Dublins ratio is, and on paper his record is much better than Ian Wright, who is widely considered one of the better strikers to play in England of the last 15-20 years
Off the mark??? I rated Dion Dublin, was just a goals scored comparison.

Off the mark because

Dion Dublin was a good striker but he only had a career of 111 goals, meanwhile Emile Heskey who still has many football years ahead of him and is widely regarded as sh*t already has 100 career goals.
He had 111 Premier League goals, not careerI rate Heskey and want him at VP, but the stats you are comparing are PL stats, and Heskey has played almost double Dublins PL apperances (without taking into account Dublin playing at centre half and coming off the bench loads).And at the rate Heskey has been scoring at lately it will take him another 2 seasons to match Dublins record, in over twice as many games.Also, you were using Dublin v Heskey as an argument against players now being better than players back in the day, but Dublin was twice the player of Emile and got about 1/10th of the England caps.There was more competition then IMO

Off the mark because
Dion Dublin was a good striker but he only had a career of 111 goals, meanwhile Emile Heskey who still has many football years ahead of him and is widely regarded as sh*t already has 100 career goals.
He had 111 Premier League goals, not careerI rate Heskey and want him at VP, but the stats you are comparing are PL stats, and Heskey has played almost double Dublins PL apperances (without taking into account Dublin playing at centre half and coming off the bench loads).And at the rate Heskey has been scoring at lately it will take him another 2 seasons to match Dublins record, in over twice as many games.Also, you were using Dublin v Heskey as an argument against players now being better than players back in the day, but Dublin was twice the player of Emile and got about 1/10th of the England caps.There was more competition then IMO
Very valid points there, both records are premier league records though.Plus heskey played left wing for like 3 years so maybe there is ground for some kind of comparison since at that time it wasnt his job to score goals.I agree with you though, Id have taken Dublin over heskey every time but (Here comes some controversial talk that will most likely have me pinked out for the next few months cos Im not entitled to an opinion here on Vip2, we all gotta think the same as the mods or get punished smh) Id take Jermaine Defoe over Ian Wright.

of course its changed from them fat skillfull i got a bag of tekkers hat trick against arsenal northern monkeys like mickey quinn upfrontto theive got no tekkers, skill, finnishing, composure but i run around a lot am strong and got pace to burn africans like benjanieven though its about english strikers basically strikers have to be able to do more then score these days acrually scoring is the least of there worries
made me LMAOhope welbeck makes it would be the only technical english striker by then aswell

Ferdinand, wright, cole, fowler, le tissier, sutton would all walk into the england starting XI now, back then they were always on the fringes.Anyone who'd take defoe over wright is on crack.
seriousonly striker from now that would get into the england team from 96 up to about 2000 would be rooneyi'd choose any of them names bar sutton ahead of the likes of crouch, defo, andy johnson, heskey etc