THE TRAVEL THREAD

Lofa

Who's used AirBnB before?

Basically I want to know if the landlords are often very involved in your stay, or if at request they can give you a like a starter pack and just leave you to it for the week dropping the odd text here and there.

heard good things about it...heard about it on here actually, was close to booking a 12 man apartment in dam.

turned out it was a scam, got an e-mail which looked legit from airbnb saying that I had to bank transfer £800 to an account details which they give me (£200 less than what I was originally quoted), that's probably how they get you. If it wernt for the fact that I was insisting on paying via credit card I wouldve transferred money.

got an e-mail from airbnb saying they locked off the account. anyone had issues like this before?

more importantly anyone got links to some sick apartments in dam?

the one that I was about to book 'had' gym, swimming pool, hot tub, 6 bedrooms & 6 bathrooms looked sick

• 2 weeks later...

Did like a 'mini cruise' over to Amsterdam from Newcastle. My bags didn't get searched or scanned ONCE.

Anyway.

I know a few of you travel alone, and I've found the best ways to book flights, hotels etc. but what do you do in terms of going for a drink? Just sit at a bar on your own?

i imagine so

ive drank out n about on my own on a few holidays over the years, mostly when i was a kid

spanish / french family holidays n in dam when visiting mates who are at work

as it gets late n the beers keep flowin random shit jus happens n best friends are made for the evening

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from Rio, Brazil. 11 day trip. Went for the Carnival with the boys.

Best holiday I have ever been on. The chicks were on a next planet. Priceless experience which made me realise how sh*t London really is. 

Was gonna do Rio but decided to do Salvador instead, couple of the guys I linked up with in Salvador were flying to Rio for the last day. 

How did you do the Carnival, as part of the pipoca or did you get an abada? The pipoca is a madness.

Is Salvador really that expensive for carnival? I''m seeing laughable prices for the t-shirt that gives you entry

Did you pay for anything at the carnival?

I'm trying to do Salvador, flight is only £145 from Rio but my pals are put off by the price and danger lol

Fill me in on your carnival experience please

Just came back from Rio, Brazil. 11 day trip. Went for the Carnival with the boys.

Best holiday I have ever been on. The chicks were on a next planet. Priceless experience which made me realise how sh*t London really is. 

Was gonna do Rio but decided to do Salvador instead, couple of the guys I linked up with in Salvador were flying to Rio for the last day. 

How did you do the Carnival, as part of the pipoca or did you get an abada? The pipoca is a madness.

Is Salvador really that expensive for carnival? I''m seeing laughable prices for the t-shirt that gives you entry

Did you pay for anything at the carnival?

I'm trying to do Salvador, flight is only £145 from Rio but my pals are put off by the price and danger lol

Fill me in on your carnival experience please

I think there are 3/4 separate routes in the carnival that are in different parts of the city, we weren't in Pelourinho but the route we were on was where most of the popular music was so I think it was the busiest. If you buy an abada ( the tshirts that permit you to go under the rope surrounding the float & use their toilet facilities etc) you'll be less likely to have any problems but if you go in the pipoca (the popcorn ) with everybody else it can be a bit hectic and you there are groups of hoodlums lining the route in some spots just looking for someone to start something with for no reason. I didn't get an abada so I was in the pipoca, vibes in there are nuts but it gets very tight and close so watch out for pick pockets. I was with an American guy that lives in Sao Paolo so he advised not to take phones out and if you do make sure it's in an inside pocket, he got sucked for a brand new iphone within a matter of hours.

The police presence is heavy though so it never really got out of hand and most spots are in such wide open view that nothing happens there, you've just got to have your wits about you. Not much different from being at London Carnival imo although for someone who's not used to that type of environment I can see why they'd be shitting it.

Food and drink are dirt cheap so the Abadas are the only considerable expense once you're there.

If there's any white bruddas in your team reluctant to go tell them they will get LOVE like nothing they've ever experienced, WMSW in Brazil for real.

I went Salvador carnival this year.  Like Flojo said, get an abada and you won't have to worry as much.  In the crowd without one it can be a madness.  If you are street smart you should be able to see the danger before it gets there.  Avoid scrapping as much as possible because you will either get jumped or the police will fuck you all up and I mean fuck you up.  They are the definition of corruption.  Also, be careful of the gays.  A lot of them are hench 6'+ guys that scrap like roadman.  Nothing will ruin your holiday more than knowing you got fucked up by a guy in a wig and skirt, wearing make up and parading around with a giant c*ck.

I bought my abadas of a website called http://www.salvadorcarnivalguide.com/ and it's run by an American guy who lives in Salvador.  You pay them and they bring the abada to your hotel.  It's all kosher, but make sure that if they give you a time to deliver your abada they are there and if not fire off emails left, right and centre.  We got them around xmas eve/Jan times and paid between £50-100 per abada.  We did 3 days so it was peanuts because buying out there, once they know you are not a Brazilian you are getting bumped.  I would also recommend having at least one person in your group that speaks some Portuguese because in my experience virtually no one spoke English.  Get an inside wallet and stash your cash in there in case someone tries to pick pocket you.

Food like Flojo said is cheap.  During the actual parade you can actually buy like 4 cans of beer for around £1.50 :lol: People buy them, drink a bit, hear a tune they like and start dashing them everywhere in the hype.  One thing I will say about being on the float is when it comes to girls and wukking with them, it's not like Notting hill or caribbean carnival where any female is up for it.  Virtually no female was on it.  So just bear that in mind.

I stayed in Barra in a hotel called Village Novo which is next to one route and not too far from another route which I actually went on (Campo Grande).  Food, drink and souvenirs were all cheap and people generally friendly.  I never went to Pelourinho, which is the olden style route as after carnival we were too tired, and pretty much just wanted to relax for the last 4 days or so we had.  I hear it's something you should check out, but I also heard it can get very peak with people saying it is very easy to get violently moved to so do a bit of research before you just look to head there.

Overall one of the best holidays I've ever had and would love to go every year.  Want to go for like 6 months to get my Portuguese fluent.

Anyways, defo go, you will have a blast.