THE TRAVEL THREAD

Lofa

Check out:

Cascais Beach

Guilty by Oliver - Restaurant & Bar

Bairro Alto - Nice views and go to a fado bar (traditional Portuguese music) or you can listen to it in Alfama which is where fado originated from. Also try ginginha, its a liquor shot

Docas de Lisboa - For clubbing, clubs there close around 7am

Cristo Rei - Statue of Christ, its on the other side of the river 

These are some of the places I went, you probably wont have time to do all those things but research and go to wherever tickles your fancy.

Also try Pasteis de Belem - Traditional custard tart kinda thing, it bangs

Oh and watch out for them gypsies, dont interact with them too much

7 hours ago, o-guy said:

safe for the above my guy.

Is the gypsy bit because of pick pocketing and what not?

old wives tales bro

centuries of inbreeding = weak dexterity

you gonna need some goli sized petro pockets to get near the danger zone

it's the romani gonorrhea that really sneaks up on you tho

On 10/8/2018 at 6:21 PM, macz said:

anyone been brazil, specifically rio carnival and have any recommendations / tips etc

Been Brazil. Went for a month in the world cup. Best place I've ever been. Went Salvador, Rio, Sao Paulo and Florianopolis if you want any help. 

Think @Em Dott went carnival iirc?

/

Gringos will mop up prestige tings with ease also.

Thanks for the heads up, literally just walked down the street and some random guy approached me, kind of weird tryin to sell in busy streets some weird mankind

but managed to find some place, very low key had to pay up €20 for membership (?) Before i could proceed and buy my shit

On 10/8/2018 at 6:18 PM, local said:

it's the romani gonorrhea that really sneaks up on you tho

?

On 10/8/2018 at 6:21 PM, macz said:

anyone been brazil, specifically rio carnival and have any recommendations / tips etc

I went to Brazil but for Salvador carnival.  Carnival is a great experience and going with the band at least once is something I would recommend.  Now from what I've been told and seen of Rio Carnival it is not like Salvador at all.  The main event that everyone goes to see or raves about is the parade of the samba bands in a huge stadium.  And it is literally that.  You sit in seats watching all the bands go by.  There is no interaction or getting involved at all, whereas Salvador carnival was like Notting hill carnival in that it's on the street and you can get involved.  I do believe Rio has a smaller street carnival so you can still get involved but it's not to the scale of Salvador.

Word of warning is be on your Ps and Qs when out and about because assuming it's like Salvador during carnival, muggers and pickpockets are in full force and they normally roll in gangs more than ready for the swingers.  To give you an idea, virtually everyone in our hotel barring my friend and I was robbed during the 6 days or so of carnival.  If you have some streetsmarts about you you should be able to identify the potentially dodgy characters and move to reduce the likelihood of ending up in a situation.  Also do everything to stay our of the way of the police because they are probably the most violent gang of individuals you will come across in that entire country.

Not sure what the availability of English is like in Rio, but where I stayed in Salvador NO ONE spoke English outside of other tourists in our hotel so have a decent enough amount of Portuguese in your locker to order food, ask where to catch a taxi, etc.

All in all, I would love to go back for like 3-6 months and actually try and explore the country and get my portuguese to a fluent level.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2018 at 7:49 PM, Anderson said:

Been Brazil. Went for a month in the world cup. Best place I've ever been. Went Salvador, Rio, Sao Paulo and Florianopolis if you want any help. 

Think @Em Dott went carnival iirc?

/

Gringos will mop up prestige tings with ease also.

going out there for 2 weeks, spending most of our time in Rio, but then doing a couple of nights in Sao Paulo - we havent sorted flights or accom from Rio to Sao Paulo yet though

If you got any places worth checking out (food, sight seeing etc) let me know

On 10/13/2018 at 11:36 PM, Em Dott said:

I went to Brazil but for Salvador carnival.  Carnival is a great experience and going with the band at least once is something I would recommend.  Now from what I've been told and seen of Rio Carnival it is not like Salvador at all.  The main event that everyone goes to see or raves about is the parade of the samba bands in a huge stadium.  And it is literally that.  You sit in seats watching all the bands go by.  There is no interaction or getting involved at all, whereas Salvador carnival was like Notting hill carnival in that it's on the street and you can get involved.  I do believe Rio has a smaller street carnival so you can still get involved but it's not to the scale of Salvador.

Word of warning is be on your Ps and Qs when out and about because assuming it's like Salvador during carnival, muggers and pickpockets are in full force and they normally roll in gangs more than ready for the swingers.  To give you an idea, virtually everyone in our hotel barring my friend and I was robbed during the 6 days or so of carnival.  If you have some streetsmarts about you you should be able to identify the potentially dodgy characters and move to reduce the likelihood of ending up in a situation.  Also do everything to stay our of the way of the police because they are probably the most violent gang of individuals you will come across in that entire country.

Not sure what the availability of English is like in Rio, but where I stayed in Salvador NO ONE spoke English outside of other tourists in our hotel so have a decent enough amount of Portuguese in your locker to order food, ask where to catch a taxi, etc.

All in all, I would love to go back for like 3-6 months and actually try and explore the country and get my portuguese to a fluent level.

yeah that stadium bit sounds a bit dead, I've read they do a lot of parties in the blocks.

I'm hearing about the pick pocketing quite a bit, one friend Im going with spoke to a guy at his work who goes out there quite often and has said if someone comes upto you asking for money just give it them. Not really feeling that tbh. But yeah we should be able to see them guys moving loose.

been learning some basic portuguese

thanks

:rofl:

wouldnt even stay in a hostel in heaven let alone rio de janiero

• Upvote 3

I stayed in Rio for three weeks and I stayed in discovery hostel. Was genuinely so sick. I had an amazing time and 65% of it was due to the hostel. I was in Brazil for a month and I had zero problems. Also stayed in a favela for 4 days (mad experience).

My honest impression of rio was that it's fine if you're sensible (like don't wear a flashy watch, or go to the beach at night).

Admittedly I think you're probably more of a target if you're white or eastern Asian.

One Korean dude in my hostel got robbed 4 times in 3 days, was terrified to leave the hostel after that.  

On 10/24/2018 at 5:25 PM, macz said:

yeah that stadium bit sounds a bit dead, I've read they do a lot of parties in the blocks.

I'm hearing about the pick pocketing quite a bit, one friend Im going with spoke to a guy at his work who goes out there quite often and has said if someone comes upto you asking for money just give it them. Not really feeling that tbh. But yeah we should be able to see them guys moving loose.

been learning some basic portuguese

thanks

Pmsl

Isn't just asking to be robbed ??