THE TRAVEL THREAD

Lofa

On 10/25/2018 at 2:43 PM, o-guy said:

My honest impression of rio was that it's fine if you're sensible (like don't wear a flashy watch, or go to the beach at night).

Admittedly I think you're probably more of a target if you're white or eastern Asian. 

This 100%.

Loud, brash yanks were getting robbed left, right and centre in Salvador. Was quite funny tbh.

On 10/25/2018 at 2:43 PM, o-guy said:

I stayed in Rio for three weeks and I stayed in discovery hostel. Was genuinely so sick. I had an amazing time and 65% of it was due to the hostel. I was in Brazil for a month and I had zero problems. Also stayed in a favela for 4 days (mad experience).

My honest impression of rio was that it's fine if you're sensible (like don't wear a flashy watch, or go to the beach at night).

Admittedly I think you're probably more of a target if you're white or eastern Asian.

One Korean dude in my hostel got robbed 4 times in 3 days, was terrified to leave the hostel after that.  

yeah like most places if not acting dumb and are aware should be cool.

any recommendations whilst I'm out there?

15 hours ago, macz said:

yeah like most places if not acting dumb and are aware should be cool.

any recommendations whilst I'm out there?

take a day trip to ilha grande (island off the coast of rio). Lopez mendes beach is there, and it is so beautiful.

there's all the tourist stuff that you will hear about (big brother mountain, lapa steps, Christ the redeemer statue), all of which I think you should do.

They have pacified favela rocinha (means the government took back control from the drug lords) and run tours. I stayed there for 4 days and the girls I was with made us leave because of the gun shots at night. Obviously not for everyone, but it was truly an amazing experience. I think every month they hold a huge block party up there, was sick when I went (may want to google that).

Go on a city history tour. Brazil's history is very rich

also if you're single, i'll PM you the last recommend.   

1 hour ago, o-guy said:

take a day trip to ilha grande (island off the coast of rio). Lopez mendes beach is there, and it is so beautiful.

there's all the tourist stuff that you will hear about (big brother mountain, lapa steps, Christ the redeemer statue), all of which I think you should do.

They have pacified favela rocinha (means the government took back control from the drug lords) and run tours. I stayed there for 4 days and the girls I was with made us leave because of the gun shots at night. Obviously not for everyone, but it was truly an amazing experience. I think every month they hold a huge block party up there, was sick when I went (may want to google that).

what-waffle-house-means-to-southerners-d

???

I'm not about that staying in a favela life. Just felt a bit like something rich white American kids would do but at the same time I guess it brings them some money in.

I went paragliding in Rio as well. Would recommend, that was class. Shat myself for the first 10 seconds but then after that it was calm. Started up here and landed on the beach.

NoGJkiW.jpg

Street parties in Lapa every weekend are a must. Got so twisted on caiprinhas. 

On 10/31/2018 at 12:20 PM, o-guy said:

sick, big up bro will note all that down.

yeah man hit me up with the last one lol

21 hours ago, Anderson said:

I'm not about that staying in a favela life. Just felt a bit like something rich white American kids would do but at the same time I guess it brings them some money in.

I went paragliding in Rio as well. Would recommend, that was class. Shat myself for the first 10 seconds but then after that it was calm. Started up here and landed on the beach.

NoGJkiW.jpg

Street parties in Lapa every weekend are a must. Got so twisted on caiprinhas. 

looks amazing man I'm getting so gassed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, yhfam said:

Those who spend a lot on credit cards and have good credit pls get an Amex British Airways card

avios points>>>>>>

can literally go anywhere in Europe for £35 + 8000 points 

can even book day trips if flight times are available 

Had a quick look. It's saying Rome is 15000 points which equates to £15k

I would have to just buy every single thing on credit card I think to hit those numbers

20 hours ago, yhfam said:

Those who spend a lot on credit cards and have good credit pls get an Amex British Airways card

avios points>>>>>>

can literally go anywhere in Europe for £35 + 8000 points 

can even book day trips if flight times are available 

Be careful. If you play your cards right and save enough you can get flights from Helsinki to Japan return for less than £200, business class. There are some country were paying fees is illegal so the avois points literally give you free flights, not this fee crap. Would never use them for UK flights. 

BA Amex is decent, especially if you use it at Tesco and have your tesco club card points changed into avois, then you're winning in a few years.

Also, try get Qatar airways, latam or finnair flights, ba are pretty shit tbh!

2 hours ago, Da Luv Doc said:

Be careful. If you play your cards right and save enough you can get flights from Helsinki to Japan return for less than £200, business class. There are some country were paying fees is illegal so the avois points literally give you free flights, not this fee crap. Would never use them for UK flights. 

BA Amex is decent, especially if you use it at Tesco and have your tesco club card points changed into avois, then you're winning in a few years.

Also, try get Qatar airways, latam or finnair flights, ba are pretty shit tbh!

Qatar Airways is nice. Not better than Emirates though.