THE TRAVEL THREAD

Lofa

4 hours ago, Da Luv Doc said:

Be careful. If you play your cards right and save enough you can get flights from Helsinki to Japan return for less than £200, business class. There are some country were paying fees is illegal so the avois points literally give you free flights, not this fee crap. Would never use them for UK flights. 

BA Amex is decent, especially if you use it at Tesco and have your tesco club card points changed into avois, then you're winning in a few years.

Also, try get Qatar airways, latam or finnair flights, ba are pretty shit tbh!

Safe for heads up

what countries are these? I have more than enough iam just trying to find the best way to utilise them atm

would you not rather use small points to take multiple trips within Europe or a lot of points for 1 long haul return flight?

I'm saving mine for business class flights. The value that you get for Europe flights, might as well look at easyjet, jet2 or Norwegian as they offer better value, unless you're going turkey then I fully recommend Turkish airlines. BA, with the exception of their london city aiport city flyer brand, have the smallest legroom shorthaul and will soon do away with reclining, so easyjet or whomever, for a few quid extra, is better value.

I'll have a look later for the countries, they all vary (excluding the no fee ones obs).

But the avios from UK is 100% myth, fares cost just as much if you found a cheap deal on skyscanner.

why you lot especially the ones that get all off and puff of all things back keep holidaying in countries that hate you is beyond me. 

Just back from Gambia, and im pissed that im back tbh.. amazing place even better than when last was there, best hotel breakfast for value for money..

zanzibar in the new year being planned. Gambia is a hidden gem, except for the fucking daemons going there to get mandingos..top 5 on my list so far

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, VENOM said:

why you lot especially the ones that get all off and puff of all things back keep holidaying in countries that hate you is beyond me. 

Just back from Gambia, and im pissed that im back tbh.. amazing place even better than when last was there, best hotel breakfast for value for money..

zanzibar in the new year being planned. Gambia is a hidden gem, except for the fucking daemons going there to get mandingos..top 5 on my list so far

Wanna do zanzibar next year. Looks amazing. But alot of Russians and EE are flocking there for holidays.

Heard good things about Gambia,  but not convinced 

On 12/13/2018 at 5:26 PM, yhfam said:

I hear that but one business class flight is like 60-70k avios

Don’t think I could use that especially if I know I’ll be sleeping most of the flight

also these avois flights can be booked with any return time for the same price

cant get that if u book normally

Or standard class tbh, but booking business class on British airways short haul is a waste of money.

• Downvote 1

On 12/14/2018 at 11:31 AM, Afroman said:

Wanna do zanzibar next year. Looks amazing. But alot of Russians and EE are flocking there for holidays.

Heard good things about Gambia,  but not convinced 

stick to ibiza then. 

On 12/14/2018 at 10:09 AM, Anderson said:

Yeah what's Gambia saying? Heard good things.

Is it a chill out for 2 weeks kinda place or is there loads of shit to do or a bit of both?

Any pics/hotel recommendations?

Its very good to holiday, you can just chill during the day and sunbathe ..most of the good hotels are just right by the beach, lts to do on the beach, and in the hotels, if you just want to sunbathe. they also have lots of organised tours to take you round the sights and sounds of the country depending on your interests, and a trip into neighbouring Senegal.

just budget well for the tours as they charge in £ and you should be aware of the costs before you travel. 

Food is cheap, £1= 63 dalasi, i bought a litre of Disarano for £12.... and you can eat European or Gambian food as you see fit. 

the touristy parts are more 24hrs than London Imo,  its safe and people are very friendly...sometimes too friendly but will stop pestering you if you just tell them nicely. 

I'm meeting white people telling me they been going there for 15 years on the trot and some African people "are not convinced" yet kmt. 

• Upvote 1

i used Gambia experience.co.uk, also called serenity travel...they were really good. 

you could also do your own and just book hotel through booking .com and book your flights separately but i thought to choose an agent. 

pay attention to the ideal seasons to travel though, as the high season is the best time t travel which is from late oct-around march. after that the rains set in and not that much touring occurs, and the weather gets much hotter, but hotels are much cheaper lol. 

as for vegetarian..nah im not sure. but food wise at the hotel, there was always a lavish spread available and im sure amongst all the europeans that go bare of them are leaf eaters like you so there should be lots of leafs made available for yous. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at going to Colombia next year between March and end of May. Likely will be in Medellin. Anyone been that can recommend stuff to do and places to see.

And of CRLS, your input will be invaluable so please feel free to chime in.

fiending for a holiday. I haven't travelled since June.  I need to hold out until post wedding as we are going to Maldives. But need something ASAP. Anyone been to Dubai in January. Is it still hot?. Might just do a couple days out there. I have banged the place out enough, but flights are looking decent.

Zanzibar is a must next year September. I am sold 

On 12/15/2018 at 1:27 PM, VENOM said:

stick to ibiza then. 

Its very good to holiday, you can just chill during the day and sunbathe ..most of the good hotels are just right by the beach, lts to do on the beach, and in the hotels, if you just want to sunbathe. they also have lots of organised tours to take you round the sights and sounds of the country depending on your interests, and a trip into neighbouring Senegal.

just budget well for the tours as they charge in £ and you should be aware of the costs before you travel. 

Food is cheap, £1= 63 dalasi, i bought a litre of Disarano for £12.... and you can eat European or Gambian food as you see fit. 

the touristy parts are more 24hrs than London Imo,  its safe and people are very friendly...sometimes too friendly but will stop pestering you if you just tell them nicely. 

I'm meeting white people telling me they been going there for 15 years on the trot and some African people "are not convinced" yet kmt. 

Planning to go early in the New yer. I keep hearing good thing about Gambia.

Slyly they have a popping Bashment scene likened to J.A in the 90's (not my words but I've been told this by more than three people)

Can't wait tbh

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/14/2018 at 3:33 AM, VENOM said:

Went in March, going back for my bday in Nov....currently my fav country...

On 12/15/2018 at 6:51 PM, Anderson said:

Safe looks live. 

Did you go through a travel agent? Thomas Cook looking kinda cheap, like 700pp for 10 nights (looking at this time next year)

Also something you may not have paid attention to, vegetarian food options any good?

You will have no issues as a vegetarian...

Venom mentioned it but I met whytes who have been going for 20yrs lol @ not being convinced.

Food =  banging (veggie/pesca)

Gyal = YES...from all walks of life....you see some of them during the day and might not batter an eyelid but they TURN UP every single damn night. I met (drew) bank tellers/bar workers etc something for everyone's taste....the women work hard all day to majorly turn up at night,

Clubbing = There's a few touristy spots on the strip that you might want to avoid unless you are going to ''grab takeaway''... and pay for it. There's a big Jamaican influence/community over there so if you know about pasa pasa there's similar spot llama llama run but couple English dons I know. I heavily fucked with some of the younger locals 23+ so I feel like my experience might have been a little extra special...had me in a sick club I swear if i didn't know any better I could have been in one in central london....

Beach parties are a madness, weed is easily available (meet a good local and he'll get you the punk not the bush weed most get)

Regular concerts from Jamaican artists...Caribbean food shops

Bakau, Banjul, Kololi Beach all worthy of mention.

Tangiene (sp) is the fishing port and one of my fav parts of the trip....watching the sisters receive the fish directly from the fisherman as they come in to shore then season that up and ready to eat within 30mins of being caught...LIFE 

DID I SAY THIS PLACE IS MOTHERFUCKING CHEAP AS CHIPS...Cab journeys cost the price of a bottle of Guinness 

I met a local on my first night and he took care of us throughout the holiday...showed us the weed island, the spots for the good girls and the spots for the bad gyal as he put it (of course we mixed it up lol)

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Stockholm you need guest list otherwise you wont get in anywhere

its the law

so unless you know promoters its long

cafe opera on sunday nights tho >>>

goteburg got a little city centre where everyone goes and its very decent 

lavish or something like this was the one its a restuarant during the day and a bar with like 4 floors at night