THE TRAVEL THREAD

Lofa

Private

Its 2015

Passport

Phone

Charger/adapter

Washbag.

Talking of Injections, Is it recommended for Egypt?

I just got back from Sharm El Sheik. Injections are not needed.

IT WAS SICK!

THATS ALL ILL SAY

Well ill say a bit more actually.

Hotel, was nice. Stayed in Ghazala gardens with is on two sites (Ghazala Beach) one across the road from another. Nice hotel. It's in Naama Bay, which has a main strip with shops, bazaars, night life etc

The Egytpians that work in the hotel are nice, it took a bit of time getting used to their facial features. The expressions sometimes say something different from what they say, or what you think they are saying. That being said, the treatment was always pleasant , although they do work for and try hard for tips. 

In Egypt, they hustle and grind hard for tips. 

A tip for you, they expect it, for everything. If they OFFER to do something for you, it is with the expectation of receieving a tip. From taking a photo for you of you to showing you where the toilet is, they expect a tip. It can get annoying but you have to learn to ignore and be firm.

My problem is that as im in a new place, and culture, i wanted to be friendly and inquisitive to everyone who spoke to me, nuff times my girl would be like ''Ellz, hurry up just ignore dem''

Everywhere i went

''Hey Rastaman!, Hey Rastaman! Hey Brother! Bob Marley! No woman no cry! No man no problem! (an inside joke), hey JamAican, JaMaica

This was from the Egyptians, weather they were light skinned arabs, or darker. 

It was difficult to interpret weather they were just being friendly and had genuine knwoledge of Jamaica etc or just tryna draw me in as they knew i was a tourist. Nevertheless it was always friendly and on the surface i didnt look into it deeply. 

Done plenty of things, went with my Mrs.

Booked our excurions on the morning after we arrived on the sunday 

Done paragliding, which wasnt as exhilirating as it looked, it was more tranquil, not heart racing. This wasnt an excursion package, we were at the beach and a guy approached us, sold it to us, and my girl was excited so we done it the next day (Monday)

Went to Luxor or wednesday. Took a plane from Sharm el Sheik to Luxor. Sharm is in the desert in the south Sinai (Part of Egypt, but they say technically part of Asia). Luxor is in south (Upper Egypt) Flight took 45-55mins. 

Luxor is green and lush looking. Obviously as a result of its proximity to the River Nile. In Luxor we visited the valley of the Kings, We were able to go into some of the tombs. Words cant describe, and i wasnt allowed to take pictures inside. Let me note that we arrived in Luxor at 6am. It was 31 degrees at 6am. 

Went inside 3 tombs. Ramesis 3rd, Saptah and Merenptah 3 (i think). You had to pay more to go into Tutankhamen's tomb but the way the tour guide who had studied Egyptology told us was that Tutankhamen as a King/Pharoah, was nothing as a Pharaoah. Him only being famous as his tomb was one of the only tombs that wasnt raided by tomb raiders (no Lara croft) as his tomb was underneath someone elses. So when the French or Welsh guy found it, they found it untouched with all his riches , etc

Again, you have to see it to believe it, the tombs were mainly intact, you could see all the details on the walls, they are deep down, some of the sarcoficus (sp) are still in them (the granite outer ones) and they are huge. 

The details! The details!

Went to Queen Pharaoh Hatshepsut's mortuary temple. Amazing! By the time of visiting valley of the kings and Hatshepsut's it was 45degrees +! That heat i have never experienced in my life

Took pictures, visited Karnak temples, which was amazing again. Took a boat ride down the nile, which was relaxing. That river is huge. not going to lie i was shook when he got off the coach on the bridge over the nile to take pics. 

Also visited a factory where they make all of the ornaments. They have natural kinds of rocks and stones IN ABUNDANCE!! Alabaster, Egytpian Onyx, granite, moonstone, basam, all kinds. Its nothing to them as there is soooo much. 

Another day we visited a mosque, a church, done some glass boat ride where you can see the marine life. The boat ride was a bit dead but the church and mosque visit was nice. Wasnt allowed to go into the mosque as once a guy got drunk and went inside a started a madness. The chuch, im not a religious man but it was beautiful. Simply beautiful. 

And we went to Old Market, a market where you can buy stuff. Crafts, arts, spices, herbs, everything. That has to be visited. In egypt everything is about bartering. NEVER pay the price offered. Never. Never. They enjoy the haggling. 

Done quad biking in the desert, which was sick, camel riding which was an experience, visited the beduoins in the desert, climbed a mountain which wasnt the easiest and watched the sunset. On top of the mountain, a young guy proposed to his girlfriend. He was in our hotel, the only other black guy, a young guy who played professional football for Bristol Rovers. He was cool as was his mrs. 

Done star gazing too, plenty of shisha, drunk lots of tea (egyptian hospitality, they always gave us tea and shisha everywhere we went, Mint tea being my favourite, habiscus being my mrs fave) 

DONT DRINK THEIR WATER. WILL RUN YOUR BELLY. Majority of places will serve you water that is bottled anyway. 

Cant remember it all at the moment, ask questions if you wish. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

safe gunner!

sounds like you had a blast.

I am going next Tuesday for 8 nights. Cant wait.

Is it better to book your excursions, activities etc prior to getting there? Or you get a better deal whe out there?

I was gonna book the quad biking and camel riding via viator

Nice one,

How long did you go for and how much all in?

We payed close to £700 each due to half term (only time my mrs could travel)

23rd may 30th may

safe gunner!

sounds like you had a blast.

I am going next Tuesday for 8 nights. Cant wait.

Is it better to book your excursions, activities etc prior to getting there? Or you get a better deal whe out there?

I was gonna book the quad biking and camel riding via viator

We booked when we got there. 

However depending on who you come across different people told us they could have got us some of them for cheaper. 

Oh and everyone that we spoke to said that we should have done snorkling! We thought we had to be experienced swimmings but we were told you dont have to be. Snorkling is a must according to everyone else

Big review

/

Tried snorkelling once, thought I was about to have a panic attack, had to get out asap. 

yh i feel like that at first

breathing with ur face in the water feels wrong

jus gotta fully force urself

take a breather n try again

Snorkelling is my favourite thing to do on Holiday if the sea life is on point

I'd drink a few brandys and be out there for hourrrrss

nice read though!

/

I've never been but Costa Rica looks like an amazing place. What's she doing out there? just on holiday?

Her sister's 30th so they are celebrating it that way. 10 days, 4 hotels, city, moutains, a total variety of things. Yes im jealous

Dark post, but found out a few days ago that a guy I'd known in China (he was a UK student on exchange) went snorkelling in Malaysia and died because he took his life jacket off. Must've been awful for the people he was travelling with.

/

Went Palawan/El Nido in the Philippines. Very nice spot for snorkelling, island hopping, motorbiking etc. and a general place to chill for a week. Was a bit couply but 1000x better than Boracay. Way too many hidden fees and 'taxes' in the Philppines though! Still cheap overall, but they would prop up everywhere.