MMA Megathread - UFC / Strikeforce / Bellator

Tyler Durden

LOL saw this. After the first few seconds I thought Fedor had made quick work of it after knocking Werdum down. The way Werdum had a triangle and arm lock in at the same time you could just feel the end was near. M1 Global are pissed...as are the Russian mafia dudes running Fedor's contracts.Dana must be laughing.Edit: Dana's twitter simply has this ":D" :D

Strikeforce are dead now, watch them sign Batista now (within the next few days) to boost ratings.Carwin vs Lesner is now even more important
Excited For Lesnar Carwin.Predictions??Personally i can see Lesnar winning via ground and pound in the second.
yea, can't wait. See lesnar winning via ground + pound too, but not that early. Carson's a big strong guy himself, lesnar will eventually get the better of him but it won't be as easy as the mir rematch. Plus carwin's a very underrated wrestler so I wouldn't b surprised if he goes for the shoot

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
James Toney-Randy Couture This Saturday - Toney Says He'll "Kick Couture's Ass!", Couture Says Toney "Better Hope He Can Catch Me!"by James Slater - It's being billed as "Boxing Vs. MMA," and it takes place this Saturday night in Boston. Randy "The Natural" Couture against James "Lights Out" Toney. For months now, the crossover match-up has been getting a ton of attention, and whether fans of both sports see it as a genuine contest or a freak show, the pay-per-view numbers look like being pretty big.Toney, one of the best trash-talkers in all of boxing, is sure he will win, saying he will score a KO, and that he will "kick Randy Couture's ass." Couture, no less of a legend in his own sport, if a less vocal one, has been more reserved, saying only that he respects boxing and Toney, and that he hopes his 41-year-old opponent has been doing his MMA training properly..Most experts agree that Toney's best chance of winning - his only chance - is to catch Couture on the chin while both guys are upright. If he gets taken down, the experts say, Toney is finished. However, Toney, as one would expect, disagrees strongly with such thinking. The man who turns 42 later this month (tomorrow to be exact, Couture is 47), has said he doesn't care if he's standing up or on the floor at the time of his KO-scoring blow, but that he will score one regardless.And, fighting as the two men are with four-ounce gloves, it's entirely possible someone will get knocked out. Still, Couture, a large betting favourite, is expected by his fans to win the fight by doing what he does best - be it ground and pound, an arm bar or a choke that serves to send Toney back to boxing with his first ever stoppage defeat. Toney, a genuine tough guy as well as a throwback to fighters from the golden era, cannot even contemplate the idea of another man taking him on and dominating him before finally stopping him; even a fighter who is so superior when it comes to experience - which of course Couture is when it comes to MMA.Toney has even gone as far as to say how the reputation of the legends of boxing - Ray Robinson, Ezzard Charles and others - will be "on his back" on Saturday night. "I'm representing them," Toney told Bloody Elbow. Will Toney "let down" his fistic heroes, or will he "make them proud?"In terms of tactics, Toney hasn't given much away at all. Other than promising a KO victory, "Lights Out" hasn't gone into detail about just how he will win. Catching Couture early in a round, with his full body behind the shot, seems to be Toney's only real shot at winning, as the experts have said again and again. But Has Couture got a number of ways in which he could win? "The Natural" sure thinks so."There are some serious holes in his game and it's my job to point those out," Couture told Ifight365. "If James comes with that traditional boxing posture, he can expect to get the hell kicked out of his lead leg. He can expect a right to come at his head followed by a swift double-leg, a swift clinch, then we'll tie him up, dirty box, punch, elbow, knee, shoulder, anything I need to do to put him on the floor."There's a whole load of other things that go on inside the cage. He better hope he can catch me."It really does seem as though the odds are stacked against Toney in a serious way. Toney, the boxer, apparently has just one way of getting the job done, while Couture, the MMA master, has all the methods he mentions when it comes to taking Toney to the floor. It sure looks like an uneven fight to me. And Toney is bound to be taken down to the floor at some point (barring an early, Ray Mercer-Tim Sylvia-style KO anyway), and when this happens will there be any way back into the fight for the boxing legend?Hopefully, we won't be subjected to a farce or an embarrassment on Saturday. This would do neither sport any good at all, and a premature ending would go no way at all towards answering the question: who wins in Boxing Vs. MMA?
WHO DO YOU LOT FANCY TO WIN?I'M GOING FOR TONEY THE GOATMAY STICK A BIT OF MONEY ON THIS ASWELLWHAT ARE VIP2'S THOUGHTS???????

Its pretty simple, if Toney cathes Randy its game over, if Randy catches Toney and throws/drags him to the ground it'll be game over. 1st round KO for Toney or a 2nd round stoppage/sub(rear naked or somthing) for Randy or a easy decision. Coutures gotta suspect chin though so Toneys definitly gotta punchers chance, but i've heard him saying so things that show he knows very little about MMA, i hope his bluffingh and his hiding some of what he knows or he could get hurt badly.

to be honest thinking about it the best thing for Toney to do would be to lose, otherwise he'll be fed to Carwin or Lesner early next year, or maybe someone like Congo just so he can reedeem himself in MMA fans eyes and kick the sh*t out of the little boxing mans legs. Gonzaga would damage him too. if he wanted to compete at 205 i'd think he'd have more of a chance.

Toney >>>True warrior. Hope he wins. Hate all that Captain America bullshit.However, Toney was never a massive puncher and I see this going to Couture by submission.And even though it was always going to happen, I hate the boxing vs mma talk. It ain't that until Couture fights Toney in a boxing rematch. Toney is showing his warrior spirit in taking on one of the top guys in MMA, a sport he knows very little about. How many MMA guys would have the balls to fight him in a boxing match?/Antwain Britt's boxing debut on Saturday aswell. Says he wants to be a serious competitor in both boxing & MMA.

It aint about being a true warrior or any of that. If you watch interviews with Toney where he explains his reasons for wanting to fight MMA it says a lot more about the state of boxing than it does about anything else, apparently most of the top heaveyweights are ducking him and the fights he wants aren't being made, why would a MMA star go over to Boxing when managers and promoters aswell as egotistical fighters hold all the cards and decide who and when they fight and what stipulations are put in place, I'm all for player/boxer power and all that, but when it start to be at the detriment of the sport its no good. if the Manny maywether scenario was in a MMA orginisation like the UFC there would be no arguements and the fight wouldve happened already. i'm a fan of both, but no one can deny Boxing is dying a death because of the internal polotics, and it needs to be resolved before a new generation grow up to think this sport is entirely irrelevent. Haye even entertaining the idea of a Fight with the likes of Harrison underlines this, especially when the likes of Toney are around the heavyweight division.

• Upvote 1

a part of me actually wants Boxing to win this, as it might bring a lot more attention to the game but the people in charge wont capitalise on it and ride the wave by carrying on the hype, as their wallets and chequebooks will continue to control their decisions. The Fact Dana has given Toney to Couture and not Lesner who he originally asked for shows that Dana doesn't want to completely destroy the guy. coz if Lesner fought Toney with all due respect to a top class boxer, it'd be a repeat of the Heath Herring fight

I agree to an extent but Toney asked years ago (5/6 iirc) to have a MMA and alright he could of worked his way up but look at his age and level of activity in the last few years and also the level he was competing at. He has that personality to always want to challenge himself against the best. You have to agree he has balls taking this on do you not?