MMA Megathread - UFC / Strikeforce / Bellator

Tyler Durden

pre-lims have already started,

nothing amazing so far though,

i've been working all day, god knows how i'm gonna make it till the end of the event, The Mrs has been given the job of keeping me awake whilst not interfering with me watching the event,

hoping Bones' rise continues,

Really and truly, he's on another level. Rashad's best chance was the takedown, and he didn't come close to landing one. Typical Jones performance, made it look easy.

Not much left for him in this division - chance he could go up to Heavyweight Medic?

Well Henderson is up next for the title shot, and his only hope of a victory is a hail mary punch. After that there's Alexander Gustafsson, who if wins his next fight, will be the next challenger. Past him, there's actually no one left in the division. Jones has destroyed 5 of the Top 10 LHWs, all in just over a year, amazing feat really. He will definitely he moving up to heavyweight in a couple years.

Gustafsson's got a lot to do to get anywhere near Jones, it might be too early for him.

Not a Rashad fan at all but he's got a lot more than he showed,

in other news.

Almost three weeks ago, it was revealed that Alistair Overeem had tested positive for an elevated testosterone to epitestosterone ratio and subsequently would have to go before the Nevada State Athletic Commission before being allowed to fight against Junior dos Santos May 26th in Las Vegas.

Most expected an immediate reaction from the often out-spoken President of the UFC Dana White, but he had remained mostly quiet about the subject until tonight, announcing that Overeem was out and Mir was in:

Taking off to Atlanta!!!! May 26th is now Mir vs JDS for the HW title in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand.

read official Twitter...

This puts an end to the endless amount of speculation that has been circulating about what the result meant for the UFC, for Alistair Overeem, and for Junior dos Santos.

Mir was scheuled to compete on the same card versus former champion Cain Velasquez and was the most logical opponent for dos Santos should Overeem have been unable to fight.

It was also announced Velasquez would now fight Fabricio Werdum, but should Alistair Overeem be granted a license to compete, he may be able to be rescheduled on the event, most likely against Cain Velasquez. In this scenario, Werdum would be put back in his originally scheduled bout with Mike Russow.

Rashad's effectively created a team around him who will serve as good training partners for himself but low level fighters in the UFC/MMA

But the important thing is he's the top boy there and there's nobody in sight that can or will challenge that any time soon, That's what he wanted and that's what he's got,

Whether his career will benefit or be hindered by all that remains to be seen.

Does anyone at blackzillians ever win?

Was cool seeing Tyrone Spong with Rashad, would love to see him in mma

:lol: They brought over guys like Alvarez & Shields for a training sessions, does that count?

He's been training his ground game and wrestling, maybe we'll see him compete in MMA in a year or so.

:lol: They brought over guys like Alvarez & Shields for a training sessions, does that count?

He's been training his ground game and wrestling, maybe we'll see him compete in MMA in a year or so.

Eddie Alvarez?

Glad he's working on the wrestling etc, would hate to see guys just taking him down and them humping his leg for 3 rounds.

The Reem has spoken!!

Alistair Overeem Explains Why He Failed Pre-UFC 146 Drug Test

By Ariel Helwani - Video Reporter and Writer

Apr 23, 2012 - Alistair Overeem has broken his silence for the first time since the Nevada State Athletic Commission announced earlier this month that he failed a pre-UFC 146 drug test.

Overeem, who was scheduled to meet Junior dos Santos for the UFC heavyweight title next month until the promotion replaced him with Frank Mir, issued a written statement explaining why his testosterone to epitestosterone ratio came back at an above-limit 14:1. The NSAC's T/E ratio limit is 6:1.

In the statement, Overeem announced that he has withdrawn his NSAC license application and explained why his T/E ratio was so high. You can read the full statement below.

To my friends and fans,

I am deeply saddened to announce that on Friday, April 20, I respectfully withdrew from the May 26 event so that I can request a continuance until my situation with the Nevada State Athletic Commission is resolved.

I cannot express how sorry I am to the Commission, Junior Dos Santos, the fans, the owners and employees of the UFC, my friends and family and anyone else who this has affected.

I absolutely do not believe in, nor do I use performance-enhancing drugs. I am a clean fighter and I will do whatever it takes to prove this to everyone.

Prior to the UFC 146 press conference in March, I aggravated an old rib injury on my left side. My doctor prescribed, and I accepted, an anti-inflammatory medication that was mixed with testosterone. I was completely unaware that testosterone was one of the ingredients in the medication. Although I was unaware, I do realize it is my job to know what I am putting into my body.

I respect the Nevada Commissioners and Executive Director Keith Kizer and what they are doing to keep

the sport of mixed martial arts regulated and safe for athletes. I look forward to working with them in the days and weeks ahead.

Friends and fans, I ask for your patience as I work through this matter. Please support me. I promise to return to the Octagon soon.

Comments

No comments on this post

You must Login with your SB Nation account and be a member of MMA Fighting to post a comment.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. He says he can prove that he is clean, I really hope he can. Been a fan of his for such a long time, theres still too many amazing fights for Overeem to have in the UFC.

Edit- it's not Werdum fighting Cain, it's Bigfoot Silva.

More excited by this fight tbh

Good stuff. Cain was rumoured to he fighting Bigfoot few months back, glad its been confirmed now. Can't see anything other than another Cormier-Silva style ending to this.

Eddie Alvarez?

Glad he's working on the wrestling etc, would hate to see guys just taking him down and them humping his leg for 3 rounds.

Yep Eddie. Did you watch Bellator this past Friday? He had his rematch with Shinya Aoki, was over pretty quick. Aoki needs to move to the US if he wants to improve, and become accustomed to fighting in the cage. His stand up game is abysmal.